favorite pre ??

• Members

I have a Presonus Eureka i think MAP is 399 on it. I love it personally i think its a great preamp. I use it with a CAD trion 8000 Which i wish was a little better microphone, and i use it for acoustic guitars and vocals. i think its a great sound. I would Def check it out.

• Members

If you are counting per mic preamp, then my favorite by far is the FMR RNP $475 for TWO mic preamps, divided by two = less than $400 :D ).

I like this for...well, just about everything. Drums, kicks, vocals, acoustic guitars - anywhere that you'd want a clear, transparent sort of sound.

Otherwise, I'm not sure. I've used Mackie VLZ preamps and think they're pretty good for the money, but my guess is that there's better ones for the price.

• Members

I have been hearing some good things about the RNP..
;)
but if its anything like the RNC quality wise ... then it will be a winner!! BTW love my RNC

I think it's equally great of a bargain. It's really a fantastic mic preamp. All the FMR stuff sounds great and comes at a fraction of a price.

Now if Mark can come out with an FMR Really Nice Massive Passive that costs $300... :D

• Members

The RNP is the first preamp I recommend to anyone putting together a home studio. :) At less than $250/channel it's an absolute steal. The Groove Tubes "The Brick" is another very solid preamp for a great price. I'm also a fan of the Grace Design Model 101, which is a little more expensive, but is an extremely clean preamp that adds no color to the signal. Those three units together give you a pretty decent selection to work with. Pick up two FMR units so you can do kick, snare, and two overheads for drums, then take your pick of the three for vocals (the Brick tends to work great with these in general), electric guitars (any of the three will work depending on the sound you're looking for), acoustic guitars (I like the Grace here when I'm going for a very clean sound, or the Brick when I want a little color to help smooth out the top end a touch, and the FMR comes in handy if I want to try something crazy with stereo mics or if I'm just looking for a sound in between the other two preamps), bass (I actually like the Grace a lot as a DI, but any of the three give great results), and any other sound source you can think of. :) Then add on other preamps over time to build your collection.

• Members

I haven't used the Brick, but if we're talking about a first good-quality mic preamp at a budget price, the RNP gets the nod for me. It's clear and transparent, and can be used in quite a variety of applications. The Brick is supposed to be a great mic preamp, but for my purposes, clear transparent mic preamps would be more versatile. Now, what works for me may not work for you, so that's something you have to decide.

• Members

Sorry to hijack the thread everyone but I have a question about running preamps through firewire interfaces (specifically a Firepod).

If recording this way, does it even make sense to have the pre recieving the signal and then out to a firewire interface and on to the PC? If it has to pass through the interface is it worth investing in a preamp?

• Members

Sorry to hijack the thread everyone but I have a question about running preamps through firewire interfaces (specifically a Firepod).

If recording this way, does it even make sense to have the pre recieving the signal and then out to a firewire interface and on to the PC? If it has to pass through the interface is it worth investing in a preamp?

Yes. It goes into the line level ins of the interface. Dont put it through the interface's preamps.

• Members

I don't have the PreSonus, but yes, that sounds correct. You would not put the preamp output through another preamp.

As I had thought. A friend and I were having a friendly debate over the utility of purchasing preamps when in combination with a Firepod. Basically, he saw no reason to buy another preamp when there are 8 already in the unit. I happened to disagree.

• Members

Pick up two FMR units so you can do kick, snare, and two overheads for drums, then take your pick of the three for vocals (the Brick tends to work great with these in general), electric guitars (any of the three will work depending on the sound you're looking for)...

Which would you recomend for heavy (rock and metal) guitars?

• Members

For heavy guitars the RNP will work very well. The Brick will also be a great choice. I'd be less inclined to use the Grace for heavy guitars, but if you have a great sound coming out of the speaker the Grace will let that go to tape, assuming you have a decent mic in proper position.

The RNP has the strong advantage of being a two-channel unit, so you can use one RNP to position a close mic and a room mic. A room mic capturing a good-sounding, well-played guitar in a good room can go a long way toward giving you a big guitar sound.

• Members

Unfortunately, both the Portico and the elusive VMP-2 are out of my price range. I am just a weekend warrior.

The VMP-2 is also discontinued, which makes it tough to get. The RNP sounds great on everything. Very versatile, and holds up well with hard rock and metal guitar. The Brick would most likely be another very good choice, although you do have to consider that this is just one mic preamp, as MrJoshua pointed out above. You might be better off with the RNP since you can distance and close-mic your guitar cabinet, if we are talking about just one mic preamp purchase.

• Members

I had actually already done this a few times before. My friend was under the impression that the FirePods pres were just 'taking over' the signal and therefore negating the preamp.

Can inputs 1 and 2 do the same thing even though the double as instrument inputs? I have never tried those.

Archived