Variax 300 arrived today

• Members

I've been considering a Variax for a while...but one thing has prevented me from taking the plunge...and that's a comment Jimmy Herring had about the first variax in guitar player...

He basically said that with each sound you got out of the guitar, you heard the apropriate sound...but didn't have the feel of the guitar you were playing. I mean, this is an obvious thing....but a good deal of the sound and technique of playing a particular instrument is how it feels. I play my strat very differently from how I play my Les Paul.

Is this a problem or an issue for you guys that play the Variax? or is it something you eventually get used to?

-F

• Members

Originally posted by FINNS

Overall, it's an outstanding tool for anyone who wants to record multiple guitar sounds on a budget!

Bingo. That's exactly why I bought my Variax 500, and so far it hasn't let me down. I've been able to get some very good sounds out of it. So the Les Paul Special may not sound exactly like a vintage Les Paul Special, and the Ric may not sound exactly like a Ric--they still sound pretty good in the context of my recordings, I think.

With regard to strangegrey's question, after playing the 500 for awhile, I wound up getting a Variax Acoustic 700 as well, in part because the VA 700's acoustic models are better to my ears than the 500's, but in part because, when playing the acoustic models, I just wasn't playing the 500 like I play an acoustic, and it was affecting the end results. The VA 700 has more of an acoustic look and feel, and I do play it better.

I'm not a good enough or experienced enough electric player (acoustic only for almost three decades, electrics added only during the past two years) to be tremendously influenced in the way I play electric guitars by the body style of the guitars I'm playing. But given my experience with the acoustic models on the 500, I can easily see how some more experienced and skilled players could be bothered by trying to play a Les Paul model on a Strat-like guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by strangegrey

I've been considering a Variax for a while...but one thing has prevented me from taking the plunge...and that's a comment Jimmy Herring had about the first variax in guitar player...

He basically said that with each sound you got out of the guitar, you heard the apropriate sound...but didn't have the feel of the guitar you were playing. I mean, this is an obvious thing....but a good deal of the sound and technique of playing a particular instrument is how it feels. I play my strat very differently from how I play my Les Paul.

Is this a problem or an issue for you guys that play the Variax? or is it something you eventually get used to?

-F

I havn't had mine a week yet, so take my comments with a grain of salt. However this seems a fair comment.

I do play different guitars in different ways because they feel different. And my expectations for the variax are mostly for live use. But the type of playing I'm starting to do more of involves a variety of sounds in cramped spaces (like orchestra pits) so lining up 6 guitars is not really an option.

Also worth mentioning is that I don't like to play acoustics because the necks don't feel right to my hands and the body size makes them uncomfortable to me. Variax seems like it will fit the bill for me.

Finally, having just one neck, scale size, string guage etc. seems like a positive. If I don't like the neck, ultimately I will change it out with a warmoth and get exactly what I like.

• Members

Sometimes it not feeling like the original guitar is a plus. Having acoustic sounds with the far superior playability of an electric is a big advantage. I also like the souond of Rics, but dislike the neck widths on most Rics.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I promised I would update this after my May gigs with the Variax. I played guitar in an orchestra pit for a local production of West Side Story. Orchestra pits are small places with little room to move around and not enough room to line up several guitars for different sounds.

My music called for electric guitar,