Danelectro convertible

angus_old

• Members

O.k. I'll get into it.

First of all it's a guitar that tries to do everything and sucks at everything. It sounds like the formica/plastic box that it is when played acoustically. Played electrically, it has this single tinny lipstick pickup that became mildly famous in cheap solid guitars+ a cranked amp a la Jimmy Page...but you won't be able to do that here in a hollowbody format without feedback.

So maybe it's a good acoustic electric tool to compete with your typical flattop acoustic and a pickup?

Nope. The acoustic tone isn't there and the lipstick pickup is magnetic so not much "acoustic tones" to be had plugged in.

The bridge was very poorly designed. Two adjustment screws dig straight into the soundboard to lift up the bridge. That's right. The entire bridge lifts up off the soundbaord and the soundboard vibrations come from two cheap screws digging into the top.

I think they just decided to copy an old design flaw to keep things authentic.

I can't think of any situation it would excel in. When you strum it you get this boxy thunk sound. Very brash and clangy. Fingerpicked it sounds kind of brittle without sustain. Sort of like a banjo I guess but with less sustain and pleasant hamonics. Sort of spring-like like a jaw harp kinda sound.

Oof...I dunno. Just stay away. My friend bought it on Ebay new and after a week just brought it to me for pics and to list it again.

(he didn't have a digital camera)

• Members

Have to disagree. I have played a old one extensivly and bought one of the reissues when they came out as a gift for a friend. They are what every Dano is- a unique inst. Is it a hollow body electric? No. Same is true for acoustic. But if it is allowed its own voice it is cool. Bending is not something that it responds well to, but chords bloom well and individual notes are well defined. It is like a toy and super easy to just play around on, and cheap enough to use as a beach guitar. While the design is simple- both examples were perfectly intonated. I agree with the half to quarter ass design of the bridge- but you got a bum one. Thats not to say that bum ones are not all over the place- the design requires things to be assembled exactly, and we know how often that happens on 250$ guitars. I will admit here that I can find a sound out of any guitar- as I have a broad musical taste. I think that most folks other than gain heads and metal types would find it a fun addition to a collection. But not as a first, second or perhaps even third guitar.

• Members

its the biggest piece of crap i've ever played, and i love it. for a while, it was the only acoustic guitar i had.

the best thing you can do for the guitar is put 12s or 13s on it. i went with 13s because except for the low E string, each gauge can be found in your standard 10-46 pack.

for years i used GHS White Bronze strings, and they sounded pretty good too.

10921d64.jpg

Archived