Putting together a high quality home studio

• Members

Don't let fear of unfamiliarity be your judge in making music. He just offered an alternative that is much cheaper and would allow your budget to include some really nice outboard stuff.

You caught my spirit! But not only. It makes sense even more for the full fledged PT studio to add that spice to the menu also because you can use it just to load a terrific array of modular synthesizers, samplers and vintage emus that have no equal to be played in real time, lightpiped to your main system.

Anyway, the most important thing is that I will have a Xite-1 next! :lol:

Cheers everybody!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You are right on every point you make here. I thought you wanted to make something personal and not competitive on the business, so i suggested something different, suited to my tastes

I'm not really interested in the business per se myself. But, if I got this system set up, I'm sure I'd help the occasional local band here and there. It would be a lot better for them if it was done on PTs, so that they could take that to a pro studio later if they got noticed, and get it re-mixed by someone better than me. So in that sense, even for my situation, the portability to pro studios would be very useful. I don't think it would ever be an issue for my own personal music or anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow - I just saw this thread for the first time. This has got to take the prize for the ultimate GAS thread! Here are my questions and comments:

- Why wouldn't you use your Solo/610 somewhere in that setup? If you're gonna give it away, I will gladly take it. I'll even pay shipping. :)

- $1100 for speaker stands seems pretty crazy to me.

- I don't know anything about the Telefunken mics you listed. But given that you already have other excellent choices for guitar (R-121, SM57, MD421), and you have the Neumann's for drum overheads, it seems like you'll mostly be using these for vocals. That seems like a lot of LDC's just for vocals. I have a hard time coming up with scenarios where I'd want to choose one over the other when the voice being recorded is the same (yours) every time.

- Are you sure the D112 is the way to go for kick? There seem to be a lot of varying opinions on that. The Audix D6 is pretty popular.

- I noticed a general absence of any BLUE mics on your list. Have you used any BLUE's? They seem to always get great reviews. I'm nowhere near your level, but I use a Bluebird as my main mic and I have on my list to eventually get a Baby Bottle for recording darker male vocals.

- You have a lot of money in hardware compressors and EQ. Given that you do everything DAW-based, and you'll be getting lots of high end plugins, how much would you really use this gear? This seems like an obvious place to cut. The only absolute essential would be something to use as a limiter while tracking.

- Is ProTools really the way you want to go? You've said that you want to do everything on your own, and that this is for your own personal use not for renting out. So compatibility with industry standards shouldn't be a concern. As a SONAR user, you probably already know that SONAR is every bit as powerful in terms of features, if not even better. I think most of the plug-ins you listed supported VST except the McDSP. It seems like you could cut out the $14500 of Protools gear and just get a high end 16 channel Firewire interface along with your converters.

- For the instrument list, I can only assume you've tried out those guitars and basses and you like them. I don't know if you use much synth in your music, but given how much high end gear you've listed elsewhere, it seems like an analog synth would be a good addition. Maybe the Prophet '08.

- For the amp list, you have the Fender sound, the Vox sound, and the high gain sound covered, but not the Marshall sound. Personally I think it's overkill to have all those amps since you also have amp modeling software in your plug-ins list, and you can do a lot with pedals too. But nevertheless the Marshall sound was noticeable by its absence.

• Members

- Why wouldn't you use your Solo/610 somewhere in that setup? If you're gonna give it away, I will gladly take it. I'll even pay shipping.

Yeh, I was going to give it to a friend if the above comes to pass. We colaborate some and he could use a good pre.

- $1100 for speaker stands seems pretty crazy to me.

That's true. But those are some pretty big honkin speakers, and you need something pretty heavy duty to hold them, with large base plates. If there's anything as good but cheaper I'd certainly entertain that option.

- Are you sure the D112 is the way to go for kick? There seem to be a lot of varying opinions on that. The Audix D6 is pretty popular.

Yeh, that's one of the spots where I was the least sure. I've seen it used a lot in that application, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything I guess.

- You have a lot of money in hardware compressors and EQ. Given that you do everything DAW-based, and you'll be getting lots of high end plugins, how much would you really use this gear? This seems like an obvious place to cut. The only absolute essential would be something to use as a limiter while tracking.

In the end, though I'm a big advocate of the ability of high quality plugs to do the job, I do think that some of the best hardware is still better, and of course part of the joy of having a nice studio is to have some bright shiney things in racks :-)

But, yeh, if I ended up unable to spend that much, this is definitely where much of the cutting would end up happening, plus backing down to the Adam SA-3 speakers, for instance, and dropping some of the mics. If I can spend that much though, I'd get the hardware just to be sure that I had the absolute best quality possible. That doesn't mean the plugs wouldn't get used because what gets tracked isn't always exactly what you want in the mix necessarily, and you may choose lighter processing during tracking because you can't undo it once done, whereas you can add more in the mix if you need.

- Is ProTools really the way you want to go? You've said that you want to do everything on your own, and that this is for your own personal use not for renting out. So compatibility with industry standards shouldn't be a concern.

There's just no way SONAR could handle the kinds of processing loads that this system could, at least without a lot of freezing of tracks. Because of the fact that I'm generally composing as I go, and therefore mixing as I go. I don't have the luxury of tracking everything and then going back and cranking up the latency and starting mixing. So I want something that can keep a full mix online the whole time as I go and still be able to come back at the end and track some bits and pieces without wasting time freezing and unfreezing.

I have a quad core system now, and it can just barely handle the mixes I'm doing, and they aren't terribly large. When you use drum synths and soft synths and amp sims and convolution reverbs and all that, the CPU load gets huge realy fast. This system could handle a quite sizeable load. Synths would still be soft synths and in most cases running in the main system, but that would be OK because everything else wouldn't be anymore.

- For the instrument list, I can only assume you've tried out those guitars and basses and you like them. I don't know if you use much synth in your music, but given how much high end gear you've listed elsewhere, it seems like an analog synth would be a good addition. Maybe the Prophet '08.

Yeh, all of those are definitely instruments I would like, though I'm a little iffy on the semi-hollow body since I have no real experience with those. I somehow failed to get any soft synths on that list, but they'd definitely be there. I have Dimension Pro which I would just change over to an RTAS version I assume, and maybe add a good TDM based synth as well. Maybe an outboard one, I dunno. To me, one of the great benefits of soft synths is that abilty to change the processing up until the last minute.

- For the amp list, you have the Fender sound, the Vox sound, and the high gain sound covered, but not the Marshall sound. Personally I think it's overkill to have all those amps since you also have amp modeling software in your plug-ins list, and you can do a lot with pedals too. But nevertheless the Marshall sound was noticeable by its absence.

You can do good stuff with amp sims definitely, though some people poo poo them. But, there's nothing like the real thing sometimes. So I wanted to have the flexibiltiy to go either way as desired.

You are correct on the Marshall front. So probably need to add an Orange in there I guess, or one of the other boutique Marshall clones.

• Members

Yeh, all of those are definitely instruments I would like, though I'm a little iffy on the semi-hollow body since I have no real experience with those. I somehow failed to get any soft synths on that list, but they'd definitely be there. I have Dimension Pro which I would just change over to an RTAS version I assume, and maybe add a good TDM based synth as well. Maybe an outboard one, I dunno. To me, one of the great benefits of soft synths is that abilty to change the processing up until the last minute.

I don't know if you're into MIDI or not, but hardware synth tracks can be just as changeable as soft synth tracks. You get everything the way you want in the MIDI track and in the patch on the synth, then you record it to an audio track at the last minute. You don't need a hardware synth if all you want is sample playback. But just like there's something to be said for shiny analog signal processing gear, there's something to be said for analog synths. Most people will tell you that the virtual analog models just aren't the same.

• Members

How do you like the Solo/610, by the way? It's also on my list of things to eventually buy. It's a long list

I like it quite a lot, as do many of other folks out there from what I've read. Another option of course is the LA-610, which is a combination of a Solo plus EQ plus LA style compression, for a pretty good price. But I've been getting good results so far. I wouldn't be getting rid of it because I didn't like it, but just because I'd have plenty of pre-amp'age and someone else could benefit from it.

Protools HD isn't the only game in town as far as hardware acceleration goes. What about some of the hardware-accelerated options like the UAD ones? Or things like Liquid Mix and Liquid Channel? None of those things are cheap, but they are a lot cheaper than a $14,500 ProTools rig.

It would probably take a truck load of UAD cards to match that performance :-) The UAD cards are pretty unpowered these days. And the other thing is, if you want the top notch plugs, you have to have a system that supports them, and ProTools is really the only one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So I'm looking, in the meantime, to knock one more bullet point off the list, and I'm kind of looking at the Tele AK47 or perhaps a Pearlman TM-1. I can't find anybody that actualy seems to sell the Pearlman, where do you get those? Their web site doesn't seem to work.

• Members

OK, one more small step for mankind... I ordered the TM-1. So I'm down to $96.5K. So slowly but surely my nefarious plan to control the universe takes shape... It should be here tuesday, so I'm psyched. On, and I also get the Waves SSL bundle, which is on sale for $600 this month, which is a great deal. So actually I'm down to $95.9K.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Hey Dean - I think this is my all-time favorite thread. I noticed in your signature that you've gone the 500 series route now. How does this affect your long term plans? Maybe get a full 500 rack and load up on 512c's and other 500 modules instead of all that outboard rack mount gear you listed?

• Members

Where you even buy Soundelux?

Under that name, you don't anymore. David Bock, the guy behind Soundelux microphones, is now making / marketing microphones under his own name. Unfortunately, not all of the Soundelux microphone models are currently in the Bock lineup, so if you want something like a U99 or a E47, Ebay is your only real option.

www.bockaudio.com

I can verify Phil's suggestion that these do show up on ebay. I practically live on the bay and for awhile had the Soundelux mics in my Favorite Searches column, as a particular singer was using one in her home studio and I was curious as to their cost/quality, etc. Soon found that they were beyond my financial reach, though.

As a PS: You guys are scaring me with your discussions of this top-notch gear. Makes me realize how clueless I am! :facepalm:

Archived