Best engineered / best sounding album

• Members

Since this thread still seems to be going strong, I'll have to cast my vote for Tom Petty's Wildflowers.

It's simply perfect, IMHO.

Not a big fan of rick rubin. He leaves no secrets. It's all upfront.

A matter of taste to be sure, but there is beauty and longetivity in production that offers more, the more you listen. Some call it muddy, I call it illuminating. Steve Brown's version of the Cult's Electric is much more robust with a stronger arrangement than rubin's "officially" released version.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not a big fan of rick rubin. He leaves no secrets. It's all upfront.

A matter of taste to be sure, but there is beauty and longetivity in production that offers more, the more you listen. Some call it muddy, I call it illuminating. Steve Brown's version of the Cult's Electric is much more robust with a stronger arrangement than rubin's "officially" released version.

Rick Rubin on "Wildflowers" is very different than Rick Rubin on RHCP albums.

In fact i think Wildflowers has been showing up on this list more than anything else (except maybe Dan's Aja).

• Members

Rick Rubin on "Wildflowers" is very different than Rick Rubin on RHCP albums.

In fact i think Wildflowers has been showing up on this list more than anything else (except maybe Dan's Aja).

You're absolutely right, because I'm not really a big fan of RR either.

If I hadn't already known, I would never guess "Wildflowers" was a RR album.

• Members

is this it by the strokes is a hallmark of what i want to do in the future.

less is always more. they used a lot of high quality gear, just in small quantities. nothing more than what they needed.

that whole album was room recorded using an 8 i/o firewire interface into logic, with a few avalon pre's. non of the songs had more than 11 tracks, most were minimal eq'd.

• Members

You're absolutely right, because I'm not really a big fan of RR either.

If I hadn't already known, I would never guess "Wildflowers" was a RR album.

It's a shame because it shows what he's capable of (and what things probably sound like) BEFORE he squashes the hell out of the record.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'd have to say Bob Dylans latest album "Modern Times"

I'm generally not a big fan of Dylan but this is turning out to be one of my currently favorite albums.

It's still Dylan lyrically (he is still a poet) but entirely different musically and the engineering/production of the album is absolutely incredible. I guess when you can afford the best you can get the best.

• Members

hoping the new Brad Paisley (comes out today) will sound good.

I tend to think most straight ahead country sounds really great (not overly pop Rascall Flatts-ish country though)

It certainly helps when the country guitarist (Brad Paisley in this case ) is incredible!

• Members

The new Behemoth album has amazing production.

The drums are incredibly spacious and big for an extreme metal album.

Also, the guitars sound amazing, it sounds like they quad tracked the entire album.

Also, since they multi track EVERY vocal, the entire album just sounds amazingly gargantuan.

Great tunes, too.

:thu:

Archived