Best engineered / best sounding album

• Members

I have to agree with Metallica's Black Album and Nickelback's All the Right Reasons. I also have to agree with most of Mutt Lange's works.

To add one to the list, I think that Alpha by Sevendust was an amazing album sonicly.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's not an accident that more people have said Nickelback - All The Right Reasons than any other album, despite the fact that the band itself seems to be universally despised by HCers. It's possibly the only album ever that has taken my breath away just by virtue of the mix alone. Invest in 99 cents and download Follow You Home; it will redefine what a flawless production means to you.

• Members

It's not an accident that more people have said Nickelback - All The Right Reasons than any other album, despite the fact that the band itself seems to be universally despised by HCers. It's possibly the only album ever that has taken my breath away just by virtue of the mix alone. Invest in 99 cents and download Follow You Home; it will redefine what a flawless production means to you.

I think it sounds too compressed and bass-heavy. Just like most radio hard rock. :poke:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Interesting thread, from the point of view of an amateur (myself) i would pick these out as some good examples:

The Clash - London Calling - the bass and drum sounds in particular are just fantastic as far as i can see...

Bjork - Homogenic - perfect in pretty much every way :love:

Slint - Spiderland - really creepy and precise, never fails to get into your head

:wave:

• 9 months later...
  • Members

anything new out there since Sept 08?

There are a few good albums, but I don't think anything makes me jump up and down from a sonic perspective. The new Phoenix album sounds good, I guess.

• Members

I love most of Dave Fridman's work.

Especially Mercury Rev's "deserters songs", and "all is dream" and the Flaming Lip's "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots"

Also Mr. Bungle's self produced "California" is amazing in all its 96 analog track over the topness

• Moderators

I'm late to this thread and haven't read through it, but here are my candidates:

Steely Dan: Aja. Just about perfect - in fact this is my reference CD when I go into a studio I haven't worked in before.

Michael Jackson: Off The Wall. A close 2d. Not as big a fan of the music as I am with Aja, but again, a damn-near perfect sounding record.

Little Feat: Waiting for Columbus. The greatest live recording I know of. George Massenburg is a god.

Of more recent stuff, Porcupine Tree's In Absentia and Deadwing are both absolutely incredible-sounding albums.

• Members

A Perfect Circle------------Mer De Noms
:thu:

YES.

That record is saturated in ambient mojo. It sounds like a band playing in a cathedral.

Amazing guitar sounds that really complements the playing, too.

• Members

Roxy Music - Stranded. Everyone loves avalon, but stranded is more dense allowing for the mood to truly cross through many emotions and layers. Listen especially to "Amazona". The guitar effects are something to behold.

Beach Boys - Smile. The Smile sessions are truly remarkable and intensely significant in the history of pop music, not to mention, the sound and texture of the resulting sessions provided music and tones that crossed all spectrums of recorded music. Paul McCartney says he cries sometimes listening to "Pet Sounds", but Smile for me just lifts the bar to a whole new level. It's also quite enjoyable to listen to all the different dialogue and instructions by Brian to the session players. It's like a primer on arrangement, production and songwriting.

Primal Scream - Vanishing Point. a broad range of instrumentation and styles, densely packed with vocals becoming a rich layer of yet another instrument.

David Bowie - Station to Station. Emphasis on percussion but not so much so that it cancels out all the other instrumentation. Listening on headphones truly takes you to another world of sound and color.

The Dandy Warhols - Welcome to the Monkey House. Quite a few layers that blend to move through darkness and light. Both bright pop and heavy effects.

Mott the Hoople - Live. Sets a mood and atmosphere of true theatre hard rock of the seventies, with firework explosions, booming guitars, beautifully recorded electric pianos, background vocals. etc. Undoubtedly containing overdubs, but still all in all very fun and showy. The version of "Sucker" is astonishingly different (and better) than the tame studio version. And "All the Young Dudes" is unforgettable.

Kate Bush - Deserves mention for all of her records, but the latest "Aerial" has taken a quantum leap in production. Though the songs are not as high quality as her previous releases.

Archived