Pro Tools Plug-ins

• Moderators

Here are my go to's

I like the new verb from IK Multimedia. Classik. And while they don't cause you to whip your head around and say, "What the hell verb is that?!?!?", they work in a mix better than the Rverb. Better than convolution too, if your method is more a covert style verb like mine.

For compression I use the Massey 9 times out of 10. The rest of the time the RenCompressor gets used. For any Master Buss compression it's the Ren.

For EQ I almost always now use the DIGIII. From the 1 band to the 7, it gets used on almost everything. Though the Massey EQ is great for high end tilt with vibe.

I'm finding I use the L1 a lot now for certain things. If I use the L1 on a track to get some peak control then follow with the Massey, it's the best of both worlds. The Massey then goes into long attack mode and I can sculpt the dynamics in some very cool ways. And I end up with less compression overall but with the right sound and dynamic.

Massey's Tape Head gets used all the time. Either I hear something that needs a bump in the low mids/high bass or something that needs softening like a fizzy amp, or something that needs dirt. Tape Head's great.

For De-essers, my favorite is the Waves. Not the R version but the original. I always seem to get a handle quickly with this one.

For delays, I use the standard DIGI stuff but almost always use band pass eq before. I set up my own feedback loops, run the delay into the Tape Head, route to a Plate. So my delays always get mangled one way or the other.

• Members

I've been continuing to evaluate the URS Channel Strip plug, and it's definitely a keeper and is going to become one of my most commonly used plugs I think. It's huge bang for the buck with so many options. Definitely recommend folks check this guy out.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I haven't been able to purchase any plug-ins yet but may do so soon. So I have some updated questions.

I don't see the Music Production Toolkit listed on the Waves website. I see a "Musicians 1" and 2 but no toolkit. And has RennMax replaced the Renaissance package? Just curious since it costs more, $660 How about the Native Power Pack, useful or not?

Also, I see a lot about iLok, what is it really and what if I don't have it currently?

And for a home hobby studio, is GTR3 worth it? I don't own any good cabs, just practice amps, and entry level guitars. I was thinking of the software but not the interface.

• Members

Never used GTR3 fwiw. And iLok is a little green usb dongle that stores the authorizations for your plug-ins. At least most plug-ins use this method now instead of authorization codes. And yes for waves/music production toolkit/ect. you'll need one.

Archived