Advice for Expanding Inputs

• Members

I currently have an Emu 1212m PCI card audio interface, and I feed its two analog inputs from a pair of Focusrite Trakmaster Pro channel strips. It also has 2 channels of S/PDIF I/O and 8 channels of ADAT I/O, but I don't have any gear to use that.

I want to expand my available inputs. I don't have the physical space to record drums, but I'd like to be able to mic guitar amps with 3 or even 4 mics (I like having lots of choices when I mix), and I'd also like to be able to record maybe a vocalist, guitar, keyboard, and bass all at the same time for "roughing in" a song. So about 4 more inputs would be good, for 6 total.

I'm considering 3 options: Emu's Microdock-m breakout box (it basically turns a 1212m into a 1616m), the Presonus Digimax D8, and the Presonus Digimax FS. There are pros and cons to each:

Microdock-m

Pros: least expensive at $350, gives me 4 more analog inputs and outputs (6 total of each) including two generally well-reviewed preamps, extremely good A/D converters. The A/D converters are why I bought the 1212m in the first place.

Cons: No HPF or pad for preamps. No dedicated direct outs and no inserts. I like direct outs because I run them to a mixer along with my DAW output and keyboards playing back MIDI tracks, for zero latency monitoring while recording. I could set up 4 of the inputs for direct monitoring by routing them to 4 of the outputs, but the last 2 outputs would be needed for the DAW so I couldn't direct monitor those last 2 inputs. And inserts are good because I like to have the option to use a compressor while tracking. I could route an input as a direct out and send it to a compressor and then back to another input as a line-level signal, but that would be using two inputs for one source so it's not very efficient.

Digimax D8

Pros: $400, which is $200 less than the Digimax FS, 8 inputs/preamps via ADAT (more than I need), pads for each preamp, direct outs for each input, preamps and A/D converters well reviewed in Craig Anderton's Digimax FS pro review (the D8 uses the same preamps)

Cons: No HPF for preamps. No inserts. Mic inputs are on rear, which means I'd need an XLR patchbay for another $100 or so. No line level inputs! I couldn't believe that at first, but I think it's true. There are two front panel DI's, but the rear inputs are XLR mic inputs only, not combo XLR/TRS jacks.

Digimax FS

Pros: 8 inputs via ADAT, front panel combo XLR/TRS mic/line inputs, direct outs and inserts for each input, preamps and A/D converters well reviewed in Craig Anderton's Digimax FS pro review, also has ADAT out with 8 analog outputs, giving me more output options from DAW (I don't really need this but it can't hurt).

Cons: $600 - most expensive option. No HPF or pad for preamps.

So there it is. Right now I'm leaning towards the Microdock-m, but I'm also thinking that I should just get the Digimax FS because I'll eventually regret it if I don't. So I'm soliciting advice. I'm also open to other suggestions in a simlar price range, say $300 to $700.

By the way there is a 4th option. I could get the digital I/O card for my Trakmasters and connect them via S/PDIF, leaving the 1212m's analog inputs free for 2 more outboard preamps/channel strips. Or I could buy new outboard preamps/channel strips with built in S/PDIF, like some of the ones ART makes. But 1) I'd like to leave the S/PDIF connection free for a possible future outboard effects box, and 2) I'm not sure of the AD converter quality of the Focusrite card or the various ART products.

One other quick note - I've ruled out the M-Audio Octane. It's priced the same as the Digimax FS and I like the Digimax FS better.

• Members

The Behringer ADA8000.

I KNOW... the B-Word. But really, to expand your inputs quick and easy, well it's actually NOT terrible. $150 used.

Tim

I'm looking for high quality preamps and A/D converters. Not boutique level, but not entry level either. You're right that this is the cheapest way to add 8 inputs, but I'm not looking for the cheapest.

• Members

The lack of line inputs can be remedied rather easy with direct boxes (referencing your second choice).

Now as far as the XLR inputs are concerned why do you care that they are on the back? Is this being mounted in a rack case? Otherwise I don't see the issue except maybe a little inconvenience.

• Members

Yes, sorry it would be rack mounted. So connectors in the back would be hard to get to. If I were to get the Microdock-m, I'd probably stick that on top of my PC (which is on my desk). I might need some longer balanced cables to get from it to where my mixer is, but that should cost less than getting an XLR patch bay.

• Members

The lack of line inputs can be remedied rather easy with direct boxes (referencing your second choice).

Oh, and good point about DI's. That's another expense, but I'd only need passive DI's which cost less than active DI's. I've actually been thinking about getting a DI box for when I record my synths anyway, since it's a decent length cable run from my synths and I'd much rather it be balanced. Everything is packed in tight and there are power cables everywhere and it's hard to keep them separated from the audio cables, so I usually have to fight a little buzz from my synths.

• Members

Well, I was able to get a Digimax FS on eBay tonight for $475. It's supposed to be new in box. Hopefully everything will work out with it. I've never bought anything off eBay before in my life!

I've bought both of my MOTU 2408s off of Ebay and they're great. Hopefully it'll work out great for you! :thu:

Archived