how to record the output of a powered mixer?

• Members

hi all,

my son's band has a powered mixer (behringer PMP2000) and i would like to know what kind of devices i should be looking at for taking the mixed output into a computer or other recording device. (the boys are 15 and more into the music than the technology, so i'm trying to help them out)

i don't know enough about this issue to even ask the right questions, so i'm hoping somebody on this forum has used similar equipment for this purpose and could guide me.

if it helps, the mixer has RCA stereo out as well as 1/4" left and right out. what kind of hardware would i use to adapt either of these physical interfaces to a recording device? could be a computer, could be a stand-alone digital or audio recording device.... i am just not sure what i should be investigating.

thanks in advance for your time and advice.

-eric

• Members

It all depends on what the recording device will be. If they're going to be using a DAW on a computer then an Audio Interface would be best. You could take the Main Outs (or any available outs) of the board and plug them into the interface. There are also interfaces that offer RCA jacks but you'll get better quality from 1/4" or XLR. If they're going to use a separate digital recorder then an interface wont be necessary. They could hook up using the Tape Out RCA's or also 1/4" and XLR.

Mike

• Members

Whatever you do, DO NOT hook the speaker outs from the powerd mixer to any recording device input. It will either blow the recording device or highly distort.

If the mixer has any kind of line level, aux or monitor outs youll be OK so long as the impedience matches the recorder. Behringer has pretty good documentation for their stuff. They should have a section that shows you what you can or cant do. Download the manual from their site and read it first before attempting any hookups. The wires and plugs are pretty simple in most cases. If you have a stereo line out from the mixer you just have to match those plugs to whatever device input plugs you'll be needing. Most compiter sound cards have a 1/8 inch stereo LINE INPUT which is what you would use coming from the mixer. Do not use any kind of mike inputs. They have too much gain and will distort badly. If you use a cassete deck most have line inputs whick are RCA. If your mixer has 1/4" outs then you need some 1/4" to RCA adapters that can hook to a standard RCA cable that can be bought anyplace including radio shack.

• Members

The RCA outs are probably line-level recording outs (at consumer -10db line-level, like a casstette player). Back in the day we made "board tapes" just attaching a cassette or DAT recorder to the RCA outs. Make sure they actually ARE OUTS and not aux/tape inputs.

Archived