Flamenco Guitar Recording and Performing. Help!!!!!!

• Members

Hi! New here...

I recently buy a Presonus Inspire 1394 firewire interface in orden to make homemade recordings, basicaly, what I want is to record my own compositions and add then some Strings or percusion by synts (I got the dimension Pro from Cakewalk)...

Well basicaly, the idea is to record and work my compositions... I bought a AKG 535 EB to record (I know, it isn't the best mic to record, but I bought it because a friend from Spain, recomend me this mic, Vicente Amigo play with this and Gerardo N

• Members

So to get it straight,... you have a $300 Mic a $150 soundcard and the waves bundle with all the plugins that costs $7500? That seems a bit odd.

I'd use 2 of them mics and aim one at the neck and one at the body just beneath the soundhole.

Playback the recording on a good stereoset and record the loudspeakers with the two mics,... one for the left and one for the right speaker at aproxx 15ft.(This to capture the Early Reflections you don't get during the original tracking).

Mix that in with the original tracks until you manage to get a good stereo,...left right and important : Depth.

to get the finalmix use one of the reverbs,.. the IR1 for example to get the thing you want but don't overdo it on the effects. Keep it as natural as possible.

• Members

Well, the Waves Bundle was a gift from a friend that got a Studio, well, he actually works in a Computer Company, so, well, he got money, thats why I got the waves plugins. He close the study and gave that to me, he told me that he didn't need it or didn't know what to do with that :love: ...

Ok, then only reverb I need?

And for the Preamp? What do you recomend me...?

So well, I would like to make a Flamenco recording studio, so, what mics and hardware do you recomend me to start thinking in buy??

PDTA: boosh thanks for your reply and well, English Isn't my first language, so sorry for my mistakes jeje

Very thanks for your time to everybody!!!!!

• Members

I really have no clue what to go for when recording flamenco because if I get it right those guitars have a plate on them that is used to be beaten on by the knuckles of the guitarplayer,....Is that right?

I'd ask Angelo Clematide who roams around on Craigs SSS forum here on Harmony,... about the mics you should use. He records orchestras but I'm sure he knows how to record spanish stuff also.

Phil can answer the question about the pre-amps,..if he has time for it.(I know I would ask him if I need advice on those things).

About the plugin,...I really would go just for a slight reverb,..no more. Maybe if you track in a good room you wouldn't even need that.

English isn't my first language too,.... Music is,...Dutch is my second,..English my third.

• Members

In case you havent picked this tip up, I would't record any effects or plugins to track. That can all be done later. As far as micing flamenco gtr I'd experiment a mic around the bridge pointed off center to the soundhole. Also, if you are in a live studio room, or a good sounding basement, try a room or balls mic. It could give you interesting results for all the percussive sounds in flamenco. Also if your guitar has a pickup, use it. If not try a soundhole pickup.

• Members

Nothing really here on the How To's. But I just wanted to mention that I owned one of Art's small tube preamps, like the MP Studio, I don't remember which one, but it was Noisy. So maybe be sure you can try it out before you buy, or that they have a return policy from where you buy it.

Also, if 400 dollars is within range for a good tube preamp, I believe there are those here who would recommend The Brick, by Groove Tube. I haven't heard it myself, so this is just what I've read.

I don't know about the Behringer. May be great, may not. I don't know.

I've owed the Presonus TubePre, and for a 99 dollars, it was a whole lot more quiet than the Art. I was very happy with it for the money.

http://http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=16

That's all I got. Happy Playing!

• Members

I'd get the best sounding room or space possible.

If you are using one mic, something like a large diaphragm condenser, start by pointing the mic at the area where the neck meets the body of the guitar at about a foot or so away, and move the mic closer or farther as you like to get the sound you want. If it's a great sounding room, experiment with the mic in omni. Otherwise, most likely cardioid. But use your ear. At any rate, this is a good starting point for micing guitars in general, and you can move it around from there, listening to what the sound needs.

If you are micing with two mics, well, there's quite a few good techniques that you can use. One obvious one is to put the two mics in X-Y (coincident) and raise/lower and move farther/closer according to taste. There's plenty of others, though, and I'm sure others will chime in. Again, these are techniques for recording acoustic guitars in general, and if you want a little more of something, than move the mics around until you get it. What I've given you are good starting points.

• Members

Thanks for everybody for their answers, they are pretty usefull...

Now, What do you think could be the best microphone to record a flamenco guitar?

And what Waves pluggins could help me with this?

Thanks for every one!

• Members

And what Waves pluggins could help me with this?

Forget about the plugins man,...your sound needs to be almost there at the source.

2 good mics(you need to record TRUE stereo) and good recording and playing technique.

A good preamp.

When recorded you can cut down some frequencies with EQ if there's trouble. Don't BOOST!!! CUT!!!

After that maybe some delay that's all,...

If you really wanna do it great you have to record the early reflections as well and mix those in.

If the room you record in is great then you may not even need delay.

• Members

I wouldn't worry about the plug-ins either. That's not going to make much of a difference in the sound since you're going to want to capture the best sound you can initially and then simply enhance it or EQ it or whatever later.

For acoustic guitars, I usually use either a Lawson L251 (large diaphragm condenser) or two SDCs in X-Y (modified AT4051s). You can make a good recording of an acoustic guitar with either SDCs or LDCs. It's more about the player, guitar, room, and positioning of the mics, although obviously the mics/mic preamps make some difference). If you have access to both SDCs and an LDC, try both and see which you prefer. But be sure that you spend plenty of time moving the mics around while listening to the differences...the positioning makes a HUGE difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived