Help me out with some Open E tuned songs

GuitarNoobie

• Members

I have keep one of my guitars tuned to an Open E recently while learning to play The Black Crowes - She Talks to Angels.

Can you all recommend some other Blues/Classic Rock songs played in an Open E tuning?

I figure as long as I am keeping a guitar tuned that way right now, I might as well learn some other songs in that tuning...

• Members

well some of these are in open D or E or F, but they are played the same and sound close enough, youll just sound sharp or flat if you play along with the recordingf but you can learn because youll use the same fingerings

dust my broom and it hurts me too by elmore james (open D)

aberdeen by kenny wayne shephard (you wont quit playing this anytime soon, its so damn fun) - open F

lots of stuff from the crossroads soundtrack (blues movie, not the britney spears one) - ry cooder is great. at this site click on ry cooder, then find feeling bad blues and archies funeral

http://www.slidingzone.de/SLIDINGZONE/tabs.html

these are some tabs from that crossroads movie. i also have a mag at home with that whole guitar duel tabbed out - where one guitar (open D) is "fighting" with the devils guitarist in standard - the whole battle and its sweet

i know lots more but drawing blanks right now.

• Members

You can always tune to open D and use a capo on the first, second or third fret and so on. Less tension on the neck.

When the Levee Breaks by LZ is in open F.

Little Martha by Duane Allman is in open E.

Bunch of Stones tunes in open G.

And Twice as Hard by that Black Crowes. I was just learning that one last night. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by xStonr

Can't You Hear Me Knocking is worth a try. Great song.

Yeah, that is a great song. Think I'll mess around with that one. The only problem I've run into with the Mick Taylor years Stones is that, as the lone guitarist in my band, it's hard to cover songs like that because Richards played in open G and Taylor was in standard.

• Members

Any songs by the Derek Trucks Band are played in Open E. A few Allman Brothers tunes are Open E for the slide stuff (Statesboro Blues for one).

Open E is just an alternate tuning method. You can play any tunes in Open E if you want to. You just have to figure out how to play or voice the chords.

• Members

Originally posted by LPSlinger

Any songs by the Derek Trucks Band are played in Open E. A few Allman Brothers tunes are Open E for the slide stuff (Statesboro Blues for one).

Open E is just an alternate tuning method. You can play any tunes in Open E if you want to. You just have to figure out how to play or voice the chords.

thanks for the suggestions Tweedledee and LPSlinger.

And of course you are correct about any tune in the Open E with the correct voicings.

I was just looking for songs written specifically with the Open E tuning.

Thanks again...

Archived