overdubbing on cassettes

• Members

hey,i think this is the best area for this topic so my question is it possible

to overdub on cassette's without a 4-track?

i'm trying to overdub samples upon each other to get a loud,dusty mix and

i've heard stuff about it being done on stereo cassette decks but have no

idea if thats actually possible or not..

if it is,how would i go about doing so?

-

• Members

I used to use three old cassette decks. I'd feed signals into two cassette decks, using their volumes to act as a "mixer". These two cassette decks would feed the third "master" cassette deck. This is how I used to "overdub" in junior high school and high school...or simply record.

• Members

hehehehe lofi.... yes. if you remove or block away the ERASE HEAD [assuming it is a sperate part] you can PAVE ON TOP of current recorded stuff. I did that successfully, but it was back in 1979 I think :D

another option is to rip it open and find which circuit switches are "pressed" when you hit play and/or record. you might be able to RIG it to record and NOT erase. overall, better to save up $80 and buy a Fostex X-12 4 track

• Members

I used to use three old cassette decks. I'd feed signals into two cassette decks, using their volumes to act as a "mixer". These two cassette decks would feed the third "master" cassette deck. This is how I used to "overdub" in junior high school and high school...or simply record.

cool,i have plenty of tape decks so what else would i need to do this exactly?

• Members

you are on a computer... surely it has a sound card... why not use your PC/MAC? You could just plug a wire in, record as many tracks as you want.... yes, the MIC input would sound TONS better than cassette multing. Then you can time adjust or move all yer tracks to be timed right. input wire is probably $6 at radio shack

Archived