32 or 64 bit - that is the question...

• Members

We're building a new machine and finally upgrading from Cakewalk PA9 and 2-Echo Audio Gina's, to Sonar-7 and 2 Audiofire-12's. Software and hardware are ordered and assembly is underway. The question is - Should we go XP-32bit or 64-bit?

All the hardware we are buying is fully 64-bit compatable, as is Sonar. 64-bit would render our versions of Autotune and Waves useless, but from what i've seen of the Sonar plugins that might not be an issue. Other than the usual suspects - future hardware/software conflicts and larger file sizes - what are some of the issues you've come up against, either positive or negative, that would help us make the best move forward?

• Members

Thanks for the input. We've considered the RAM issue, but using OB effects and having high quality hardware keyboards I don't think that would be an issue under 32-bit, but of course that could change. And XP being a dead end doesn't concern me much. I mean, the current machine is still running flawlessly under Windows '98 with over 24 tracks of audio.

I appreciate the input i've gotten from a few different forums. For what it's worth, I tallied your input below. I won't buy based on the vote - but the actual answers will help to make the right decision (for me anyway).

32-bit = 11

64-bit = 4

XP = 5

Vista = 2

Screw it and buy a MAC = 2

• Members

We did go XP-2/32 bit and 4-gig RAM. The soundcards (2 Audiofire 12's) will be here by the end of the week and we can start putting her through the paces. Being rather unstable myself - there's a lot to be said for stability...