smokeless powders...

rahimiiii

• Members

Ok this sounds silly, but if everyone is so into nitro why not just take rifle powder and dissolve it in lacquer thinner or acetone and spray that on the guitar? They are easy to get (at least in the United States) and last time I did that makes a semi transparant black matte finish. However stick to SINGLE BASED powder such as ones found in large rifles (means no 5.56mm rounds or .223's) because double based powder found in most small caliber rifles and most pistol rounds, contains nitroglycerine as well, and from what I heard they are not very good for your health...

Try IMR 8xxx (I forgot which it is... I used to use them to reload 7mm magnums, they are rod shaped and most likely single based) and avoid things like those Bullseye Red or Green dot powder, they are double based.

• Members

Originally posted by rahimiiii

Ok this sounds silly, but if everyone is so into nitro why not just take rifle powder and dissolve it in lacquer thinner or acetone and spray that on the guitar? They are easy to get (at least in the United States) and last time I did that makes a semi transparant black matte finish. However stick to SINGLE BASED powder such as ones found in large rifles (means no 5.56mm rounds or .223's) because double based powder found in most small caliber rifles and most pistol rounds, contains nitroglycerine as well, and from what I heard they are not very good for your health...

Try IMR 8xxx (I forgot which it is... I used to use them to reload 7mm magnums, they are rod shaped and most likely single based) and avoid things like those Bullseye Red or Green dot powder, they are double based.

You what now?

Is gun powder based on Nitrocellulose?

• Members

Originally posted by Mr.Mow

You what now?

Is gun powder based on Nitrocellulose?

Powders used in modern rifles are nitrocellouse (aka smokeless powder). The powders used in ancient (and I mean ancient, like civil war era) rifles are called "blackpowder" and its a mixture of chemicals.

Nitro is just basically cotton dissolved in nitric acid and they were origionally used to blow stuff up or shoot bullet out of guns, but someone invented a plastic form of nitro by mixing nitrocellouse and some kind of plastic and dissolve them in acetone and letting them dry, thus making cellouid (you know what pickguards back in the day are made of)

• Members

Originally posted by rahimiiii

Powders used in modern rifles are nitrocellouse (aka smokeless powder). The powders used in ancient (and I mean ancient, like civil war era) rifles are called "blackpowder" and its a mixture of chemicals.

Nitro is just basically cotton dissolved in nitric acid and they were origionally used to blow stuff up or shoot bullet out of guns, but someone invented a plastic form of nitro by mixing nitrocellouse and some kind of plastic and dissolve them in acetone and letting them dry, thus making cellouid (you know what pickguards back in the day are made of)

Makes sense, old Nitrate films were cellulose based and flammable as {censored}!

• Members

Modern smokeless powders, whether single-based or multi-based, contain LOTS of things besides nitrocellulose. Many-most?-are designed to control or promote ignition under controlled conditions.

Modifying or generally {censored}ing with gunpowder is a fantastic way to become known as 'Stumpy the Gimp', in other words.

Larry

• Members

Originally posted by larryguitar

Modern smokeless powders, whether single-based or multi-based, contain LOTS of things besides nitrocellulose. Many-most?-are designed to control or promote ignition under controlled conditions.

Modifying or generally {censored}ing with gunpowder is a fantastic way to become known as 'Stumpy the Gimp', in other words.

Larry

Very true. Not worth a pretty finish to lose a limb and not even get to play the guitar. Ever again.

Archived