Adjusting Inputs On A Motu 828 Mk II

• Members

Hey gang. I have a really dumb question here. I've got an MOTU 828 MKII. While it's easy to adjust the inputs for the two xlr channels on the front of the device, I have yet to figure out how to trim the inputs on the other analog channels. I'm not talking about monitoring via the CueMix software, but instead, I'm actually trying to adjust the incoming volume of instruments.

On the original 829 this was simple - there were a series of knobs on the front. Turn one down and it turned down the related inputs. I recorded a lot of drums just this way. The MKII seems to bury this capability, if it even has it. There's no problem if you are recording something that can adjust its volume like a keyboard, but when you are doing drums via the non-xlr inputs, it's a problem.

Any help here? Many thanks.

• Members

It's really simple:

Rotate the CURSOR button until the gain fader on the LCD for that channel blinks (then it's selected).

All you have to do is rotate the VALUE knob to trim it down.....

As best as I can tell, doing that adjusts the CueMix monitoring system, not the input volume.

• Members

Easy way to tell: TRY it on a track...

That's the problem - I have.

Specific example: Novation K-station outputs to Motu 828 analog inputs 7 and 8. The K-station is turned all the way up, but its output is still barely registering on the meters of the 828. On the MkI, I'd simply turn up the trim nob on the front of the unit to get the gain I desired. On the mkII, via the unit front panel or via the CueMix software, I can adjust the volume of what I'm hearing, but not the actual recording gain. So I'll get a track where the K-Station is simply recorded too low.

Another example. XLR snare mic and XLR kick mic to the two front panel inputs, the ones with manual trim controls. Two additional mics, using XLR to quarter inch jacks, to two other inputs. I can't do anything about trimming the second set of non-XLR mics and as a result, they record either too hot or two cold.

• Members

The 828mkii does not have trims from the line inputs, like most interfaces. You can adjust -10/+4 on the line inputs only and you can do this from the front panel (can't remember how) or via the cuemix software (just click the button). There is also a 6dB boost option, but I'm not sure if this is only for monitoring purposes (I've never used that feature).

If your keyboard is all the way up plugged in directly and you still aren't getting enough level, it's likely that the keyboard is -10 and the interface is set for +4.

Also, bear in mind that you want to shoot for around -18 to -12 on the interface which is considered "enough" level.

• Members

This was exactly my problem with the 828mkII. Simple little functions were semi-retarded to do thru that menu screen. I find the box to be very non-intuitive.

To adjust stuff, just pick up the manual, or look at the .pdf. It's well documented, but the manual is WAY to thick (IMHO) for what should be a very simple interface.

If you have the cash, grab an Apogee ensemble. The instructions are no more than 10 pages... the design is elegant, and it's ultra easy to use. This is one major complaint I have with the MOTU stuff. It's not that the MOTU stuff is hard to use or bad... it's like programming a VCR or something... weird.

Phil

• Members

The 828mkii does not have trims from the line inputs, like most interfaces. You can adjust -10/+4 on the line inputs only and you can do this from the front panel (can't remember how) or via the cuemix software (just click the button). There is also a 6dB boost option, but I'm not sure if this is only for monitoring purposes (I've never used that feature).

If your keyboard is all the way up plugged in directly and you still aren't getting enough level, it's likely that the keyboard is -10 and the interface is set for +4.

Also, bear in mind that you want to shoot for around -18 to -12 on the interface which is considered "enough" level.

Mr. Carter: Thanks for that info. I was fearing that was going to be the answer. Kinda weird they didn't give that sort of control when the first generation unit could do this very task.

• Members

By and large, most interfaces do not offer the gain adjustment you are talking about. Generally speaking, with a converter you want the shortest path possible - in other words you don't want the added electronics of a gain trim in the way of the signal. Ideally you would want to control the volume of the signal feeding the converter at the source, and then if you need to adjust the level do it post-converter. In terms of the 828mkiis mixer featuer, it can do this internally. In terms of using a DAW, all DAW software can do this. This makes input gain adjustments on the 828mkii redundant and comprimises quality. The one obvious exception to this rule is microphone inputs because of the extremely low output and low impedence issues where you must have a healthy amount of gain available. That said, most people try and use outboard pres anyway and go into the line inputs.

So what does all this mean???? If you are running your gear correctly, you should only need to switch between -10/+4.

In the case of your tracking drums situation, I generally would not run mics directly into the line inputs. I would go mic -> preamp -> 828 line input... OR I'd go mic -> 828 mic input. There are situations with drums where it can work to go from the mic directly into a line input, but this is by far and away the exception to the rule and typically does not yield very good results.

Archived