Recommend me a drum machine?

• Moderators

It's been a long time since I've used a drum machine. I always loved the original Alesis HR16. The HR... the first beige one. As they came out with other machines they tended to lose the tactile interface. The Yamahas always felt removed to me. Same with the Rolands and the Drumulators and the Oberheims. More like programming and less like playing. The HR was really easy to get connected to. The sounds were straight ahead and less fashionable, which means of course, they still sound good today.

I'd eBay an HR16.

• Members

For rehearsal, you can use nearly anything. You're not going to want to slave over programming the damn thing.

A vintage Roland R-8 for about $50-$100 has more features than any current drum machine (including 8 individual outputs!).

• Members

We used to use this creaky old Oberheim DMX drum machine that was made in the early '80s for rehearsal. You could continually alter the drum machine as it was playing, and it was good for our purposes. Nice big buttons for hitting while playing another instrument.

• Members

For rehearsal, you can use nearly anything. You're not going to want to slave over programming the damn thing.

A vintage Roland R-8 for about $50-$100 has more features than any current drum machine (including 8 individual outputs!).

I agree. If one wishes to play a click or more, most any machine can fill in for a live timekeeper. In short, if you can find a second hand drum machine for $ you want to spend it might work fine for you. Go to a local gear store and play with a few...Some synths can groove if they have an arp too etc...

• Members

I picked up a little Zoom MRT-3 a few years back, basically to just throw up some beats to play along to. It's got pretty decent sounds and a lot of options for such a small unit. It has a stereo out if you want to pump it through two amps as well. Pretty easy to program. It has a MIDI-in so you can play sequences into it as well. I paid about $100 new for it when I bought it. I picked up a new one last year for my nephew on ebay for about $60.

I liked the little thumper enough to pick up a Zoom RT-323 RhythmTrak last year on ebay. They were over $300 new when they first came out and I think I picked mine up for about $120 or so in great shape. It has a lot more options, based on the manual, but I actuallly haven't got around to using it as time is very short these days. It has a line in, stereo out, MIDI-In-Out and does a bass line as well. Also, has a SmartMedia card slot.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I usally find that a couple of mnutes spent browsing the manual for something I am thinking of buying will tell me a lot about the ease-of-use and features:

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/SR16_Manual-9d796d56d2c465f19b598d39a29c8d8c.pdf

I've also had a DR-3 Doctor Rhythm and it looks to be a better, more rubust product than the Alesis (albeit more expensive)

• Members

search "Craigs little buddy" and find a DR-880. It's the best on the market right now and you could easily get a used one for $300. They go for $500 new. They even have inputs for bass/guitar with very many input effects.

I just score a Boss DR-880 on eBay for $230!:lol: Can't wait for it!

I used to have a SR-16. It is fairly easy to use, can get indepth if wanted, & sounded good. I had to sell it for $$$ a few years back. From my research on the DR-880, it will suit my needs better!

• Members

I have to agree with the DR-880. I've had mine for about a year now and even used it on a couple of solo gigs and everyone in the crowd couldn't tell the difference, except that there wasn't a drummer on stage.

• Members

I have to agree with the DR-880. I've had mine for about a year now and even used it on a couple of solo gigs and everyone in the crowd couldn't tell the difference, except that there wasn't a drummer on stage.

That is what I want to hear! I'm still waiting on mine to travel to daddy!:snax:

Archived