Sound Absorbing: Does this stuff absorb the problem low frequency energy ?

• Members

Thinking about putting these things in corners for sound aborbtion--

1. A surfboard. (Plastic shell but LOTS of foam inside)

2. Foam body boards--for having lake or ocean fun--Ive got 4 of em....

3. "Water Noodles", or "Water Weanie" floatation things, you use them in the pool or ocean. They are totally fluffy foam and soft.

It sounds a little wacked, ,,,well, frankly, ,,I'm a little wacked, but they've got foam, and I can stack them to achieve increasing thickness, especially the foam "water weiners" and wave body boards. I think that I could mimick a corner bass trap with the water noodles--heck I can make them triangular and they have irregular edges--and it cost pennies in comparison to the commercial absorbtion products. I can stack the foam body boards and get to 8 inches of foam! The other thing is that these water toys look wierd and ecclectic and not as sterile. I don't mind looking wierd. My room has not been swept yet--I'm just assuming that I'll have some low frequency absorbtion issues which should be addressed. Give these water toys a try?

Have a good one--and best regards in your studio.

Greg

• Members

While it takes some effort to get and to work with rigid fiberglass. It is the thing to use! I have done extensive research and used this stuff. Ethan's products are great. I have some of his absorbers. They are rigid fiberglass made into attractive, functional absorbers. DIY means less $, but you have to endure getting itchy for a day or so. You also need to have some basic carpentry/ assembly skills.

It breaks my heart to spend money on something that isn

• Members

I've made a variety of panels including a vocal booth out of Owens Corning 703 rigid fiberglass, last purchase was $53 for 6 sheets of 2'x4'x2". Home improvement stores don't carry it, you have to go to a vendor which you can find here.

The vocal booth made a HUGE improvement to vocal tracks just in my home hobby studio, think of what a room treated by a pro can sound like.

• Members

As others have mentioned you're better off with fiberglass. Fiberglass is nasty crap to work with, but it truly is the biggest bang for the buck.

The reason you can't use the watertoys, is because they purposely designed to NOT absorb anything. They are closed cell foam, this is so they don't absorb water and sink. They are meant to float. A sponge on the other hand is open cell foam, and designed to absorb water, which also means it will have some acoustic absorbtion ability. Most open cell foam is expensive when compared to fiberglass.

• Members

Are there any restrictions as far a the outer cloth fabric is concerned? Its all going to be porous---and work about the same ---right?? One fabric is about the same as the next--right ??

There is also a temptation to use the panel as being a type of "corkboard" or such, (since its fairly rigid) and put "post it notes" on it or pin up a piece of paper on it with a thumbtack----Is this one of those rules that you just never ever violate?? Avoid this at all cost or could you allow just a minimal amount of it?

• Members

Actually not all fabrics are created equal. This is why speakers are always covered with breathable fabric. Muslin and Burlap are two good cheap alternatives, then there are more expensive acoustic fabrics you can get.

Corkboard is not a good idea.

Then it depends on what you're doing with the treatment. For bass traps, the fabric isn't quite as important. If its for broadband treatment to control both low end and high end for say early reflections, then you absolutely need to be careful with your fabric choice.

Either way I wouldn't spend money on fiberglass only to cover it with corkboard, that would totally defeat the purpose.

• Members

Sorry, not one of those things you listed has any useful acoustic properties.

Ethan is awesome and smart and experienced -- but there's absolutely no denying that there are many fine studios on the scene treated with foam. And the treatment works fine. I've used the rooms. They are fine.

And there *are* ill health effects which result from fiberglass exposure despite all the best claims of those who seek to profit from convincing otherwise. (spare me the gov't links, I don't trust your gov't *at all*)

• Members

Ethan is awesome and smart and experienced -- but there's absolutely no denying that there are many fine studios on the scene treated with foam. And the treatment works fine. I've used the rooms. They are fine.

And there *are* ill health effects which result from fiberglass exposure despite all the best claims of those who seek to profit from convincing otherwise. (spare me the gov't links, I don't trust your gov't *at all*)

Right. But the foam the OP was talking about, was closed cell non absorbtive. That will not get the job done. The reason many talk about fiberglass and rockwool is that it is cheaper than auralex foam and what not.