My Yamaha 02R Digital Console, became crazy

• Moderators

Call Yamaha - (714) 522-9011 and ask them for suggestions.

Probably the best advice.

If you're an experienced DIY type of guy, you might do a few things first:

(1) Try a system reset (have to look at your manual for the right key combination on power up).

(2) Open the console and find the socketed EPROMs, reseat them.

(3) Look at the caps in the power supply and see if the tops are bulged out or any material has leaked out the bottom. Lots of Chinese caps from this time period had a problem, and an ailing power supply can cause the symptoms you describe.

Terry D.

Good suggestions Terry, but I think he's already tried the system reset / re-initialize proceedure, but it wouldn't work for him. Based on that, I suspect you're probably right about the EPROMs or (power supply?) caps...

Unfortunately, it's not sounding very promising to me, and may require a trip to Yamaha to get things fixed. They might have another suggestion to get it back on line without having to send it in, but either way, a call to them certainly would be my first recommendation after trying and failing at a re-init. :(

• Members

Thanks a lot Phil and Terry for your advices;).

I already called to Yamaha. Their suggestion is to call some tech guy here in Miami (they gave me some names). This is the last things I think I'll do because my economics:facepalm:.

I'll try with the socketed EPROMs as you say. I hope it'll work. Any new suggestion will be welcome:idea:

Thanks again

JL

• Members

While you're checking around underneath the hood on your 02r, look for a 4 pin molex plug on the power regulator board and make sure it's in good shape. It's dead center on the board under the faders and is easy to spot. Mine had a shoddy solder job and actually burned up the plug and a wire at that connection. It might not be the same thing that is wrong with yours, but from what I've heard this is a very common problem with these boards.

While you're checking around underneath the hood on your 02r, look for a 4 pin molex plug on the power regulator board and make sure it's in good shape. It's dead center on the board under the faders and is easy to spot. Mine had a shoddy solder job and actually burned up the plug and a wire at that connection. It might not be the same thing that is wrong with yours, but from what I've heard this is a very common problem with these boards.

Good suggestion. :)

Sometimes, just cleaning the contacts on molex plugs with some Caig DeOxIt can help - that has worked for me in the past when dealing with the infamous Digi 002 "power harness" issue.

Of course, I don't have to mention that you should unplug everything before opening anything up and poking around inside, right? ;)

• Moderators

Yes, that's very common on a number of devices. :thu:

Too much power through an underdesigned / cheap connector with high resistance equals burn/melt over time.

Terry D.

• Members

Yes, that's very common on a number of devices.
:thu:

Too much power through an underdesigned / cheap connector with high resistance equals burn/melt over time.

Terry D.

Yeah, to say my connector was "extra crispy" would be an understatement. The good news is that it was an easy repair.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Hello

I have a problem with my 02R (I think !) not too disimilar to those mentioned on the forum. When monitoring an input I do not get any signal on the stereo meters. I have checked the meter section of the screen and I get nothing despite the fact I have an incoming line signal. Is there something up or have I just made some mistake in setting up the desk. Please advise thanks

Hello

I have a problem with my 02R (I think !) not too disimilar to those mentioned on the forum. When monitoring an input I do not get any signal on the stereo meters. I have checked the meter section of the screen and I get nothing despite the fact I have an incoming line signal. Is there something up or have I just made some mistake in setting up the desk. Please advise thanks

Forgive me for suggesting the obvious but...

Have you checked the internal routing to make sure you have the input assigned to a fader and that that fader is assigned to the stereo output bus?

One of the great things about the Yamaha digital boards IMO is their extensive routing options... but if the routing isn't set up correctly, you can definitely have "no sound" issues.

Archived