Guitars with poor resale value...

AtomHeartMother

• Members

Surprised Jay Turser guitars weren't mentioned. I saw one sell on ebay for $31. Christ, a basic setup costs more than that. Granted Turser's aren't expensive to begin with, but $31 on a $200 guitar isn't all that great. Good for the buyer I guess.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

was this a random collection of words, or did you actually have a thought you wished to express? If the former, it's an unfortunate collection you ended up with... if the latter, you failed miserably at expressing it.

:wave:

For some reason that reply just cracked me up. :D

• Members

One of the best things about Heritage, G&L, Music Man, and Hamer is that they can be found at used prices well below those of Gibson and Fender. And, to top it off, they're better instruments. JMO. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by zenbu

can`t believe I`m the first to add...Yamaha. One of the best kept secrets of the electric guitar world...and thats a good thing `cause it keeps the prices low for those of us...and you know who you are...who love Yamaha. So whatever you do...don`t spill the beans on Yamaha.

Aye. They can be a good bargain, although some models like the SG series and SA series go for fairly decent prices at least in Europe. In any case they are great value whether new or used.

The absolute worst resale value has to be on custom made guitars though. Unless it's a well known brand they tend to go for far far less than what they'd cost new. The more a custom guitar deviates from Fender/Gibson designs the worse the resale value.

• 14 years later...
  • Members

Strangely enough Music Man guitars seem to share the same stigma. It’s difficult to explain given that all of the brands mentioned are excellent, high-quality instruments. I can only explain it by the fact that we guitar players are a weird bunch! It has to say Gibson or Fender on the headstock or forget about keeping its resale value. I own a Carvin and can attest to its quality and and workmanship. Luckily, Kiesel does not seem to have inherited this unfortunate anomaly. They seem to be holding their value reasonably well.  

• Members

PRS.

I have one and it plays like a mofo.

Minty shape and probably not worth what I paid for it some 20 years ago. 10 Top and birdies too, fat wide neck.

I'll keep it another 20 if need be. It can sit in the closet for all I care.

Archived