Guitars with poor resale value...

AtomHeartMother

• Members

What guitars do you think have poor resale value?

The big three that I've noticed that don't seem to sell well are: Carvin, G&L, and Schecter.

They're all high quality guitars, but just don't sell well. While guitars by Fender and Gibson seem to retain 75-80% of the new value, you'd be lucky to get 60% on the above brands. I often see Carvin and G&L's selling for half their new value, and Schecters just plain don't sell.

What's the deal?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had a Schecter C-1EA I sold last year that went in a day on eBay at a BIN close to what I paid for it.

G&L is another story - fantastic guitars but steep depreciation. Never had a Carvin. My experiences re-selling a pair of Larrivee's was dismal too. I had a mint D-05 that I had to list 3 times over six months before it sold (to a guy in Scotland, or I don't think I'd have ever been able to sell it.)

• Members

I've had better luck reselling my Carvins than I have my Fenders. But one reason some Carvins don't get top dollar is because the fun of ordering a cutom guitar is getting to order it just the way you want it. As long as the model you are selling is still available from Carvin most people opt to have their own built.

Gibson is where the money can be made. A big part of that is Musicians friend/ guitar center. A few years ago I could get LP Classics for $1300 locally, MF was getting 2 grand, so people assumed that's what they cost. It was easy to flip them for 15-16 hundred and people still thought they were getting the deal of the century. I actually financed last years vacation on what I made off of one Les Paul I bought and resold.

• Members

It is all brand equity. People know the Gibson and Fender brands and people buy bthem more. They are less familiar with the off-brands like Godin, Chandler, Schecter, G&L, Carvin, and/or they are unsure of the value of a used import.

eBay has made it easier to move these items. Instead of having to find the handful of Carivn lovers in your area, you can braodcast to every Carvin lover in the world via the Web, and get more competition for your guitar. If I were selling an off-brand, I would sell via eBay; buying? I would buy local.

An example: my used USA Schecters cost me $375 each for a "traditional" Strat and Tele locally, I sold them for $675 and $700 a year later on eBay.

• Members

I don't get it either. I really like G&L's and the few Carvin's I've been able to lay my hands on have been great guitars too, but for some reason they just lack the appeal that other brands seem to have. This is exactly the reason I won't buy either of thee brands new. Why pay $1100 - $1200 for a new G&L Legacy when you can pick up a good condition used one for $700?

I've actually been entertaining the idea lately of selling my MIM 60's Strat and replacing it with a used G&L Legacy. There isn't a tremendous difference between the prices that these two are selling for on EBay and I think the G&L is a superior instrument by a considerable margin.

• Members

Originally posted by seajay

Hamer USA guitars traditionally have had poor resale value. However, I think the secret is out as it appears that the price of these is creeping up lately.

Prices for the early ones (77-81) are going sky high last months, a year ago, you could find an early sunburst for 1000$ now you can add at least 50 %, and the early Standards are now in the 3-4000 $ range. I bought my first Newport 2 years ago for 800 $, now 1100-1300 $ seems to be the price.

• Members

I've talked to a number of 'new players' that won't buy anything other than a used Fender USA Strat or Gibson LP for their first guitar.

Their reason? "That's what so-and-so played, so I also need one".

That type of reasoning helps to drive up the price of certain used guitars, and lowers the price of others.

:freak:

• Members

I think that any guitar that is a 'minor' brand is prone to bad resale value, as well as any guitar that is a discount brand (ie Epiphone). At the same token, I've resold Agiles and gotten reasonable prices out of them (lost under $40).

The real loss of value is when you buy NEW and sell USED. You can buy almost anything USED and sell USED and do better.

Having said that, I love to buy new guitars...it's a weakness I have. ;)

• Members

Tom Anderson and Don Grosh come to mind. I've seen (and bought) used Hollow Drop Top Classics that retailed for over $3500, and paid less than $1700 - in mint condition. Same thing with the Cobra model. I've seen used Grosh Retro Classics that retail now for over $3000 go for $1200-1250. That's why I buy used!

• Members

Another brand with bad resale is Robin guitars. A new Robin Wrangler cost about $1200.00 - $1550.00 - depending on the options. Used, the same guitars usually run $650.00 - $900.00. I intend on taking advantage of that by buying a used one rather than a new one...

Archived