I'm always accidentally turning the volume knob down on a strat..

Pig Vomit

• Members

I had that problem on my Lag Louisiane (tele configured but shaped like a srat) and had the problem solved by reversing the volume and tone pots. Now all that can happen is my tone changes a bit if I hit it.

• Members

Originally posted by Pig Vomit

Am I alone?
:mad:
I guess playing Gibsons for so many years did it. But routinely playing a strat, I end up with the volume almost shut off. I have to remove the volume knob off any strats that I've had...

I've always had the same problem, that's part of the reason why I'm a Gibson man. :D

• Moderators

I play quite a few parts that involve palm muting all the strings, including the high ones, and when I do this on a Strat it makes me grind the knuckles on my pinkie and ring finger into the knob, which hurts, and messes with my volume setting. :mad:

• Members

never had a problem withthe volume know adjusting.

but sometimes when i'm being too frisky i knock the 5-way switch out of the neck position.

I feel your pain.

Never had an issue with the volume tho.

• Members

I sort of split the difference between the original location of the volume knob and the location of the first tone knob, and just use a master volume/master tone setup. Everything is still well within reach, but never gets in the way.

BothWarmoths1.jpg

• 14 years later...
  • Members

I do something similar for the past 30 years on guitars and pedals where the knobs can be hit accidentally. 

I use soft rubber pads which I cut to the size of the knob then melted a hole in the middle with a soldering iron.  I put that on under the knob and can tweak how much friction the knob has by how far down I press the knob to the pad.  

Works perfectly. 

Your idea with rubber bands is OK for short term, I'd be worried what will happen if they are left there longer.   Rubber bands are made of actual rubber and within a year or so will liquify into a sticky mess. Once that happens there's nothing stopping it from getting into the pot shaft. Alcohol based Contact cleaners wont remove that goop either.  

Find some thin silicone based rubber and make friction pads to put under the knobs. They will last at least 30 years before needing replacement.

• Members

I used to incessantly knock the switch from N to whatever else was back there; most commonly the middle. These days I don't attempt shredding as much so it hasn't happened in a while though the probab-lem is still there. The volume knob is a whole nuther thing. It's in the way period.

Archived