YES! Pro Tools 8

There's supposed to be a way to get it to automatically put each new take on a new playlist, isn't there? Or something like that, so you can then spread the playlists out. Either way it's much less cumbersome than making a half-dozen tracks and recording new takes on each track, then comping from there.

Loop recording automatically places each new "take" or pass on to a new playlist, and fans them out into lanes for you, but even if you didn't use loop when recording, you can still spread out the playlists into lanes - it's a new option in the track's display options.

I used to track multiple takes to new playlists, as opposed to new tracks, and then comp from there, but this is much faster, with fewer keystrokes. I'm loving it. :phil:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't usually loop recording, but I like having the different takes on different playlist lanes instead of different tracks like I had been doing. I need to find out if there's a "new playlist" keystroke. :D Or if there's a way to fan out all the alternate files to different playlist lanes without manually creating a new playlist each time.

Just another feature I need to dig into and see how it all works. :)

I need to find out if there's a "new playlist" keystroke. Or if there's a way to fan out all the alternate files to different playlist lanes without manually creating a new playlist each time.

Aaah - I see what you mean now, and that would be nice. If there is such a shortcut, I haven't learned it yet. But OTOH, I don't know how useful it would be to most people - if you're working alone, you can always use loop record, and if you're tracking someone else, you can create a new playlist faster than they're usually ready to track a new take... or, just make a bunch in advance, all at once...

• Members

I don't usually loop recording, but I like having the different takes on different playlist lanes instead of different tracks like I had been doing. I need to find out if there's a "new playlist" keystroke.
:D
Or if there's a way to fan out all the alternate files to different playlist lanes without manually creating a new playlist each time.

Just another feature I need to dig into and see how it all works.
:)

I was watching one of the accelerated pro tools videos and I believe I saw just what you mentioned. I just got PT8 up and working in the last few days and have been exploring the new plug ins. I lost all my Wave plugins. I Have PT HD. I understand that there's an upgrade price. All my other plugins work fine. If there is an upgrade price, I'm going to forgo Waves.

• Members

I lost all my Wave plugins. I Have PT HD. I understand that there's an upgrade price. All my other plugins work fine. If there is an upgrade price, I'm going to forgo Waves.

I use 3 year old Waves version 5 plugs because I refuse to pay waves ripoff wup fee.All my waves plugs work great in PT8.........TDM and RTAS.

• Members

I use 3 year old Waves version 5 plugs because I refuse to pay waves ripoff wup fee.All my waves plugs work great in PT8.........TDM and RTAS.

The Waves version 5, aren't working for me. They are in the correct folder along with all the other plugins that are recognized, but they aren't there when I look for them.. Same with my Eventide plugins. Everything else is working.

• Members

The Waves version 5, aren't working for me. They are in the correct folder along with all the other plugins that are recognized, but they aren't there when I look for them.. Same with my Eventide plugins. Everything else is working.

I'm on a PC and it seems that all the mac users are having all of the problems.

• Members

FWIW, I'm on a PC too, so maybe it is more of a Mac-centric issue.
:idk:

It could be. I've searched the Gearslutz, DUC and Harmony Central forums and tried all suggestions and it still doesn't work. I had a limited set of Eventide and Waves plugins so I don't feel impaired by the loss, but I would like to get them going.

• Members

It could be. I've searched the Gearslutz, DUC and Harmony Central forums and tried all suggestions and it still doesn't work. I had a limited set of Eventide and Waves plugins so I don't feel impaired by the loss, but I would like to get them going.

have you tried Eventide and Waves support??

• Members

FWIW, I'm on a PC too, so maybe it is more of a Mac-centric issue.
:idk:

At first I didn't think so, but it may be. I believe you have to have Waves 5.9.7 for Leopard (OSX 10.5) and PTLE 8.0 also requires Leopard. So that may be the issue. I had Waves 5.9.7 working fine on my system(MacBook Pro OSX 10.5.5 and PTLE 8.0 w/Waves 5.9.7). Maybe there is some way you can upgrade that far without going all out to version 6. I upgraded to 6 to get some new plugs, but I'm not sure it was worth it.

• Members

At first I didn't think so, but it may be. I believe you have to have Waves 5.9.7 for Leopard (OSX 10.5) and PTLE 8.0 also requires Leopard. So that may be the issue. I had Waves 5.9.7 working fine on my system(MacBook Pro OSX 10.5.5 and PTLE 8.0 w/Waves 5.9.7). Maybe there is some way you can upgrade that far without going all out to version 6. I upgraded to 6 to get some new plugs, but I'm not sure it was worth it.

I think you've nailed it for me. My Waves plugins are 5.2. I'm going to check this out. Thanks.

• Members

Does LE have a drum editor similar to Nuendo or Cubase? That's really the only thing keeping me from switching. I program a ton of drums, and I love the editor in Nuendo. I get lost trying do it on the key scroll.

Nope IMO thier midi is still far inferior to cubase.

I love that drum editor thing, I also like the ability to edit either in the mix window or a separate window (ala cubase).

Aaah, I'll bet that's it - Mac OS 10.5. That had some issues at first IIRC. I'm stuck at 10.3.9 on my Ti Powerbook, and my wife is running 10.4 on her Mac, so I'm not up to date on all of the details on Leopard. Maybe the OS update was significant enough that it required the plugins to be updated? I would think that the OS update / upgrade, plus a major update to the host DAW application [that requires OS 10.5.5 to run] would nearly guarantee you'd need a update on the plugins.

The Windows users have two possible OS versions they can run now - XP and Vista. I would imagine that most of us are still using XP, so we don't have the same issues this time around as the Mac users. Not that we haven't had our share of similar OS upgrade related issues previously... and Vista users may have some similar issues now - I honestly haven't heard either way. :idk: But for me, XP still works great and makes sense. I can avoid Vista [and the performance hit you can get from it vs XP, the reliability issues, the hunt for new hardware drivers and software updates, etc.] and still use the latest version of Pro Tools [bTW, did I mention I'm REALLY loving it?], so thankfully, I get to avoid some of the headaches..... this time. :D

My sympathies to those of you who were not so fortunate... this time.

• Members

the reason i asked, is because it seems like everyone goes to forums first to get help --- why not go to the software vender?? if an upgrade kills your software, they're the ones that should make it work.

i.e., people should contact Waves if their plugins don't work with PT8

• Members

the reason i asked, is because it seems like everyone goes to forums first to get help --- why not go to the software vender?? if an upgrade kills your software, they're the ones that should make it work.

i.e., people should contact Waves if their plugins don't work with PT8

It's been my experience that somewhere in the forums most problems have been covered and information from the forums is much more timely than waiting for a response from the companies. Usually the companies have already responded to someone in the forums anyway and it's quicker to find that.

I'm hoping to find the time in the next few days to find out for sure why Waves and Eventide plugins not working with PT8 for me.

• Members

Which version of 5 do you have? I mentioned that I'm using 5.9.1 just fine in PTLE8. There are people on the DUC that are also able to use 5.9.7. I think if you have anything less than 5.9, you are out of luck. I got WAVES to give me 5.9.1 authorizations when PTLE7.0( or .7.3) came out.

Archived