YES! Pro Tools 8

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No. I haven't seen a compelling reason to upgrade to MPT2 yet.
:)
It may be there, and I might do it later, but for now I'm still using the original MPT.

64 tracks and the full version of Eleven for a $50 upgrade...........shiat that's a no brainer!

• Members

64 tracks and the full version of Eleven for a $50 upgrade...........shiat that's a no brainer!

...except I get 64 tracks with the MPT I already have installed, and I very rarely use amp sims, so I don't really care if I have the full version of Eleven or not. :) On top of that, 48 tracks is plenty for probably 99% of what I do. Honestly, I could get by with a 16-track tape deck pretty easily - an eight-track if I bounced the drums down to stereo.

This current project is the only time I've ever used more than 32 tracks, and a lot of that was simply due to the fact that I had 48 tracks available so I figured I'd do some experimenting with stuff on additional tracks. So, as I said, not a compelling reason for me to ugprade yet.

• Members

I am D/L PT8 now... it looks like I have a second, separate authorization for the Moog stuff - even though I had Moog stuff on my iLok already...
:idk:

To get the Moogerfooger Analog Delay and Ring Modulator to work, I had to delete the Moogerfooger plugin files from my plugin folder and reinstall the Moog plugin bundle after downloading the version 7.4 installer from the Digi website. Then I started up ProTools, it notified me that two of the Moog plugins weren't authorized and moved them into the Unused Plugins folder, and the other two plugins (the delay and ring mod) authorized as expected with the iLok key and now work normally.

I still haven't got the MP3 option working, but then, I haven't had time to look at it.

As far as the Moog stuff, when I went to load the licenses on to my iLok, I got a message telling me I couldn't load the Moog license - then I realized that I already had an authorization for the V4 Moog bundle (I got it with a Massive Pack I purchased last year), so I already had the "current" versions on my iLok and computer - I didn't have to "do" anything new, and they all appear to be working just fine.

My installation went surprisingly smooth! The biggest hassle was the sheer size of the download and the time it took to do that, but Digidesign's download manager worked great. I had one spot where the download froze up and I had to restart it, but it continued on from where it had left off with no problem.

Then it was out to the studio to find a external HDD that was formatted FAT32 so I could copy the files off the Mac I used to D/L with, and read them on the PC I use for my HD system. I tried to uncompress the zipped PT8 installer, but got an error. Crud - am I going to have to D/L this again? Nope - I checked on the Mac, and was able to uncompress the archive there, and write that to the external drive... and they installed to the PC just fine. I'm glad I checked instead of just assuming the whole download was corrupted. :D

I had already backed up my C drive, so I created a system restore checkpoint, installed Win XP SP3, then rebooted. Uninstalled PT7.4, then rebooted. Installed 8, then rebooted. Launched the program and - hey, it worked! :cool:

So far, all the plugins I've tried - old, new, and wrapped VST's - all seem to still be there, and are working as expected. I just got everything installed yesterday, so it's only been a few hours, but so far, I'm pretty impressed with PT8...

• Members

Yeah, I like the system so far. :) My MP3 option still isn't working, but that's mainly just because I haven't had the time to try to fix it. Everything else, including wrapped VST's, is working great now that I've sorted the Moog issues.

How do you like the new look? I think the mix window may be a little too busy, but then, it's always busy. And I mainly just use the mix window for plugins, since I got the Command 8.

More inserts is definitely cool IMO. I really like the new look overall - it seems to be much easier on the eyes. I have not messed with the pan knobs yet - hopefully they respond well - some "circular" software knobs work in a funky way IMO, but hopefully these won't suffer from that.

So far, the only thing about the new look that I'm a bit concerned about is the location of the color indicators. I use those a LOT, and color code things in specific ways so I can see at a glance what "types" of tracks I'm working with, and locate them quickly... For example, I give lead vocal tracks a red indicator, bass tracks yellow, drums in a mint green, etc. It looks like they moved those indicators - they used to be right next to the track name, but now they're located below the track's comments box, which means I have to scroll down to see them (or up to the top to see them - they're up there too) on my 19" LCD monitor. A minor quibble, and one I may be able to adjust for, but if not, that might be annoying...

• Members

One thing that I did, that they make much easier in PT8, is to color the whole track (lightly) instead of just the tab at the bottom.

Double-click one of the colored tabs to open the color palette, and you'll see a little target you can click to make the whole track colored. It makes it MUCH easier to keep track of what's what on the mix window, IMO. You could do this with earlier versions but it was a key shortcut you had to hold and I could never remember what it was. Now it's just a target you click. Try it and see if you like it better. :)

One thing that I did, that they make much easier in PT8, is to color the whole track (lightly) instead of just the tab at the bottom.

Double-click one of the colored tabs to open the color palette, and you'll see a little target you can click to make the whole track colored. It makes it MUCH easier to keep track of what's what on the mix window, IMO. You could do this with earlier versions but it was a key shortcut you had to hold and I could never remember what it was. Now it's just a target you click. Try it and see if you like it better.

I had heard about that, and I hoped that would be the solution - thanks for passing that along. :cool:

Oh, two other minor issues I noticed:

I got an error message when trying to insert one of the new AIR plugins - I don't recall which one at the moment... but after a reboot, it loaded up fine, and the issue has never reoccurred.

I'm really happy about the templates - not so much for using their presets, but for the ability to make my own. Having pre-made templates with your common I/O settings, track names, etc. can be a real time saver. I've done that in the past with previous versions of PT, but it's always been a bit kludgey, and you had to always double check your drive / directory / record path assignments. Anyway, I tried creating a new session with one of their presets, and the thing froze on me. I only tried it once, so it may have been an anomaly... as long as it will reliably allow me to create my own presets, it should be fine. :D

• Members

Yeah, I'm actually really looking forward to that. Once I get set up things tend to stay pretty stationary - I have a certain mic/preamp/input combination that I almost always use for my kit, for example, and for bass, etc. So it will be great if I can build a preset for one of my standard recording-myself sessions and then when I have a song idea I want to hash out, I just make a new session from the template and hit record. :)

• Members

So I can say that the ONE THING that has grabbed my attention imeadiatly is the fallowing:

No more little buttons above the transport window :(.

You can see through regions at snap lines! :D.

Everything else is fairly moot at this point.

• Members

Incidentally, the MP3 option is now working. :) It isn't included in the default download package for PT8. A quick search on the Digidesign site for "MP3 8" yields several results, and the second one, "MP3 Option in ProTools 8" reveals the download link for the MP3 option install file.

Downloaded, installed, and bounced to MP3. Nice and easy.

BTW, has anyone heard if they made any changes to the mix bus? One of my first thoughts when I opened up an old session and played it back was "it sounds punchier". True, I hadn't heard that song in a while, so maybe I just did a better job on the rough mix than I remembered. ;):lol:

• Members

BTW, has anyone heard if they made any changes to the mix bus? One of my first thoughts when I opened up an old session and played it back was "it sounds punchier". True, I hadn't heard that song in a while, so maybe I just did a better job on the rough mix than I remembered.
;):lol:

There was a thread about this on the DUC, but the impression I got was that there were no changes to the summing algorithms or anything like that. :) But then, I don't recall if there was any official word from Digi in that thread or not. You'd think if they had done anything of the sort, though, that it would be one of the things they'd use to advertise PT8. I haven't heard a word to suggest any audio improvements from Digi, though - just new plugins, higher track count, etc.

Here it is: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=234983

If you have a WAV file bounced down of that mix from a previous version of PT, just bounce it down again without changing anything and see if there's any difference between the two. :)

Naah, I can't do a null test, and I'm not sure it would be an accurate one even if I did - first of all, I don't have a printed two track mix from before that I'm aware of. Second, I don't do BTD most of the time - I sum through my board; I send either individual tracks or submixes over to there, then out to either an analog reel to reel or another 24 bit / 44.1 kHz recorder for the mix.

I do remember thinking it was a bit punchier coming through the board, but again, I hadn't heard the song in a month or two, and it was pretty late and I was pretty tired - I could very well have been imagining things. :)

Glad to hear you got the MP3 option working. :cool:

• Members

Naah, I can't do a null test, and I'm not sure it would be an accurate one even if I did - first of all, I don't have a printed two track mix from before that I'm aware of. Second, I don't do BTD most of the time - I sum through my board; I send either individual tracks or submixes over to there, then out to either an analog reel to reel or another 24 bit / 44.1 kHz recorder for the mix.

I do remember thinking it was a bit punchier coming through the board, but again, I hadn't heard the song in a month or two, and it was pretty late and I was pretty tired - I could very well have been imagining things.

Glad to hear you got the MP3 option working.
:cool:

Well, if I had an HD setup, I'd be mixing on a console too. :D

The more I use PT8, the more I like it. One HUGE improvement that is going to save me a ton of time is the ability to display all the different takes on a track in multiple "lanes" at once. Highlight a region on one of the takes and hit a key command and it is instantly placed on to the main lane or track. That's going to make comping [which I do a lot of] much quicker and more efficient - no more manually switching between all the different playlists to determine which line or phrase was "best". :phil:

• Members

much quicker and more efficient - no more manually switching between all the different playlists to determine which line or phrase was "best". :phil:

Yeah, I like that a lot. There's supposed to be a way to get it to automatically put each new take on a new playlist, isn't there? Or something like that, so you can then spread the playlists out. Either way it's much less cumbersome than making a half-dozen tracks and recording new takes on each track, then comping from there.

Archived