YES! Pro Tools 8

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not a Pro Tools power user, so I may not have given it a proper shakedown, but I must say it is def a step on the right direction. It really has all you need to get started now. The new VI's are fantastic, and I really like the new look. The way the tracks now expand lanes below the original is great. Esp handy for instrument tracks. I was always switching between note and velocity views. Now I can have both at the same time. Anywho I'm gonna go play some more.

The new VI's are fantastic, and I really like the new look.

Cool - thanks for the early feedback. I'm on the "wait until Digidesign can send you your email" list, and am trying to remain patient... :D

I'm not surprised to hear you like the new VI's. Based on the exceptional quality of the AIR virtual instruments I've used and reviewed [Xpand, Strike, Hybrid, Velvet...], I've been expecting good things there, and all the early reports I've read so far have echoed yours in that respect.

I'm trying to be patient, but I'm really looking forward to trying this new version...

• Members

I use M-Powered mainly as a convenience for the occasional outside project for importing and exporting, so for that reason I guess I'll have to upgrade, but not without some dissapointment. Don't get me wrong there seems to be some nice new enhancents especially with midi, but until they address ADC, internal bouncing and support for 32-64 bit files I can't really consider it as a main host. These are basic things that just keep getting ignored year after year. Maybe someday.........

• Members

Hey Phil just checking but you did register your hardware right? I had registered everything but my hardware which was right before 7.0 came out. I kept waiting on my email. Finally contacted them and they noticed I hadn't registered they hardware. Took care of it and got my email.

I already have hybrid, xpand, and strike so the new VI's weren't a complete surprise. Just nice to get some for free. 8^) What really stole the show so far for me is Eleven Free. Man does it sound good. I'm about to update my MPTK so I get the LE version. I'd heard good things, but trying is believing. I feel as though I've just scratched the surface of what 8.0 offers.

Oh and FWIW I was jamming with Strike at no limit (RAM), oversampling on, with my guitar running through Eleven with my buffer at 32 samples and no hiccups!!! My CPU was showing about 50-60%, and there were some verbs and plugs on other channels too. (I was using the Rock Guitar template). Did I mention this was on my 2.4Ghz MacBook Pro? Cranking the buffer to 1024 dropped usage to about 35-40%. So far it seems really stable.

Hope you get your email soon. ;-)

Yes, my hardware is registered, and Digidesign "knows" me. I deal directly with their press liaison, and spoke with them via the phone about a week or two before the release and they told me I was on the distro list, so again, I'm trying to be patient... :D

If I don't get an email by Tuesday, I'll call them again.

• Members

Well I figured you were in the loop but just wanted to make sure. Seems as though that has been an issue. Apparently you could buy the update the day it released and get the link that day. Those of us who pre-ordered have had to wait in line along with those due an amnesty update. A little screwy but hey it's Digi.

• Members

I got my email late last week, and installed the software Saturday. Everything went great. :) The only snag was that I lost my Moogerfooger Analog Delay plugin, and the Moog plugins that installed with PT8 don't have authorization so they won't run.

All my old sessions opened just fine. I haven't used it for any recording yet, just opened some old stuff to check that everything was functioning. So far so good, though.

I'm not sure that I'm sold on the new look. The mix window seems a little busy, or maybe kind of cluttered. I'll probably get used to it, though.

I've only messed around with a couple of the new AIR plugins, but I do enjoy getting lots of new stuff with an upgrade. :D

• Members
I got my email late last week, and installed the software Saturday. Everything went great.
:)
The only snag was that I lost my Moogerfooger Analog Delay plugin, and the Moog plugins that installed with PT8 don't have authorization so they won't run.

Do you have to authorize these separately? :confused:

• Members
Do you have to authorize these separately?
:confused:

No idea. :D That's why it's a snag. I'm not sure why they installed if they aren't authorized, but they keep popping up and asking for authorization when ProTools starts. I'll be looking into it over the next day or so.

• Members

I'm sure the DUC will have an answer for this sort of thing. I believe they are supposed to be fully-authorized plugins that come bundled with the software, right? Anyway, whenever you begin working with a brand new version of anything, especially Digidesign, you blaze new trails in a brave new world. :D

• Members

.... Anyway, whenever you begin working with a brand new version of anything, especially Digidesign, you blaze new trails in a brave new world.
:D

Ain't that the truth, but so far 8.0 has been really stable for me. Seems as though the biggest problems has been plug-in/toolkit authorizations. I can say my MPTK2 is working excellently on my system. The only plug-ins that gave me any trouble were some massey demos I had. They want to be authorized, but they're demos. Guess I should maybe reinstall them, or buy them.;)

• Members
I'm sure the DUC will have an answer for this sort of thing. I believe they are supposed to be fully-authorized plugins that come bundled with the software, right? Anyway, whenever you begin working with a brand new version of anything, especially Digidesign, you blaze new trails in a brave new world.
:D

The first post after mine on the DUC pointed me toward a post from the Digidesign folks that explained there was an issue with the Moog authorization, and that I should reinstall using their latest Factory plugin installer.

...which also includes some spiffy new plugins, it would appear, so I'm OK with that. :D I'll download and install it tonight, and that should take care of the Moog issue. The more I dig into it, the more major this upgrade appears to be. I'm looking forward to having a session that pushes the 64-track limit with my MPT, too, but not really expecting that to happen very soon. :) Heck, I've only run up against the 48-track barrier twice, and those were both sessions where I recorded two separate drum takes from two different drummers and wanted to be able to switch back and forth between them easily, so I had two groups of drum mics, each with about a dozen tracks. Otherwise, I could probably do everything that I do with sixteen tracks ... eight if I did a little bouncing down. But it is nice to not have to put the cowbell from the chorus on the same track as the shaker for the verse. ;)

• Members

Sounds great! I am looking forward to eventually using this. I bought the Digi002/PT 7.4.2 from Phil a month ago, and have been thoroughly enjoying that, so all the extra goodies and other things sound really great. So far, I'm surprised at how easily and effectively Elastic Time works, so getting into all the new things on PT8 are sounding really great.

• Members

Y'know, I installed 7.4 about six weeks ago (and 8 a couple of days ago) and haven't touched elastic time yet. It's one of those things that sounds interesting, but I'm not really sure what I'll use it for. I'm more of a "do another take and get it right" kind of guy most of the time, but then, I don't do this professionally. :)

• Members
Y'know, I installed 7.4 about six weeks ago (and 8 a couple of days ago) and haven't touched elastic time yet. It's one of those things that sounds interesting, but I'm not really sure what I'll use it for. I'm more of a "do another take and get it right" kind of guy most of the time, but then, I don't do this professionally.
:)

I haven't used it to *fix* anything. I've used it more as a creative tool. You can do some really wacky things with it.

Oh and some of the plugs are pretty stupid.

Would you care to elaborate on that comment please?

FWIW, I've read that users of the FXPansion vst -> RTAS wrapper should unwrap all their VST's prior to installing PT8, then re-wrap them after 8 is installed.

I don't know how true that is from personal experience, because I'm still waiting for my email... :(

Archived