Quickstar Productions Ripoff?

• Members

Well normally I wouldn't say anything , but when I was researching whether or not to send these guys $165 hard earned dollars, it was after reading on Harmony Central that someone had done it and got their CD's as promised.

Well before you do read the latest from the BBB.

http://www.bbb.org/greater-maryland/business-reviews/recording-service-sound-and-video/quickstar-productions-in-baltimore-md-90097770

They did post my song on Amazon and Itunes as promised.But I don't know if I will ever see the CD's which is what I really wanted.

Also they are not answering E-mails, and their phone answering system is just a run around.:facepalm:

• Members

If I've leaned anything in the past 40 years of doing this, it's this: never sign anything with anyone using the words 'quick' or 'star' in their business name.

;)
:wave:

Also companies that associate their name with famous companies, places, people, things, etc. Like Paramount Group, Hollywood Productions, Hitt Records, Manilow Records, etc...

John :facepalm:

• Members

Well normally I wouldn't say anything , but when I was researching whether or not to send these guys $165 hard earned dollars, it was after reading on Harmony Central that someone had done it and got their CD's as promised.

Well before you do read the latest from the BBB::eek:

http://www.bbb.org/greater-maryland/business-reviews/recording-service-sound-and-video/quickstar-productions-in-baltimore-md-90097770

BBB Rating

Based on BBB files, this business has a BBB Rating of D on a scale from A+ to F.

Reasons for this rating include:

•25 complaints filed against business

•9 complaints filed against business that were not resolved.

Click here for an explanation of BBB Ratings

Quickstar Productions initially responded to the spike in a pattern of complaints received by BBB alleging non-receipt of the compliation CD's as follows: "The major reason for the delay is that we priced the Comp CD so low that it unfortunately made it so that we could only stay within budget if we placed large bulk orders with the CD manufacturer. Therefore we had to wait till we had (a) order of 25,000 CD's before we (can) place the order. Normally this was not a problem, but in the past few months business became so slow that it took us much longer then expected to get the required number of CD's."

In late May 2010, the company responded to BBB complaints stating the CD's had been received from the manufacturing plant and were being shipped out. However, BBB did not receive confirmation from any customers that they had received their orders.

Then, on June 24, 2010, the company told BBB that "Quickstar presses its CD's with a factory in Canada called CD Man. We had to pay upfront for the order which was normal for our relationship. We have been using them for the past few years with no issues. We placed a large CD order with them. It seemed to be taking a while so we contacted them. We got back a response from their lawyer stating that the company was in bankruptcy and that we could make a claim.

We found out that we were one of many businesses owed money and that our chances of getting anything back were slim. So just like that we lost $70,000. We have filled for the bankruptcy proceedings but we are not guaranteed to get anything back.

Needless to say this has seriously hurt the company. We have been trying to recover. We are trying to do everything we possibly can to stay afloat.

In July 2010, Brenden Bosmans, President of the company, informed BBB: "We made a lot of changes. The first thing we did is eliminate all owners pay. I personally have not been paid anything since Dec. 09. We have cut staff to save on payroll and moved others over to a commission only basis. Over the past month we have also made a huge sales push that we hope can create enough profit to cover the CD's that weren't released. We are hoping to get some of our money back as well once all of the

bankrupcy proceedings are done with CD Man.

We have been able to keep 2/3rds of our promise to our clients as of now. We have released their music into digital stores like iTunes for them and have done the promised marketing for them as well. The only piece missing is getting the 50 physical CD's to them. If worse comes to worse our exit plan is to sell the office building we are currently in and use those profits to release all of the back CD's. About 50% of these complaints are from the Industrial Underground CD. We have released that CD and the clients now have their product.

We are an LLC so legally we can close up shop at anytime. But morally we have made a commitment to our customers to get them their product. We are not going to give up. Please bear with us while we try to recover from this serious hit.

I have included the original email we received from CD Man below where we found out that they went out of business with our money:

Please note that MagpieRadio Corp. has closed its doors and all operations in Canada and the U.S. has ceased. The assets of all previous orders are no longer available.

The CDman.com domain & 1-800# have now been acquired by Reel Pictures San Diego

and will accept new orders only. No warranty, liability or assets have been transfered to

RP San Diego.

We do apologize for the inconvenience. We suggest that you prepare these projects for

re-printing with another vendor.

Credits and refunds may be made in writing to:

MagpieRadio Corp.

4794 west 6th ave.

Vancouver, BC, Canada,

V6T1C5

* Please note that ReelPictures has no knowledge of the previous orders and will be

unable to assist you in any missing discs."

On July 12, 2010 Quickstar management indicated they would provide BBB with additional information about which complainants CD's were anticipated from Industrial Underground and whether or not those CD's were received. To date that list has not been received.

As of August 2010, the company has continued to respond to complaints presented by BBB, but most consumers remain dissatisfied with the fact the delivery issue has not been resolved and that no refunds have been offered by Quickstar.

They did post my song on Amazon and Itunes as promised.But I don't know if I will ever see the CD's which is what I really wanted.

Also they are not answering E-mails, and their phone answering system is just a run around.::facepalm:

One more thing on Quickstar Productions.

Even though they can't seem to deliver CD's they have promised to press.

They are still advertising on their Web Site that they will press CD's for you at great prices.

Quickstar Web

Their current monthly special,

1000 Replicated CD's with 4 page booklet for just $899!!! :blah:

• 9 years later...
  • Members

Hello! I know this is a long-dead topic, and I'm grieved to hear that Quickstar was apparently a scam. I've been trying to track down some of the bands that had their music released through (and, it would appear, copyrighted to) Quickstar - some of them have been my favourites for a long time, and I'm wondering if any of them kept going under different names. In particular, Seven Ages. Can anybody point me in the right direction? 

Archived