Here's an interesting question...

• Members
I suppose that would work and give you a lot of options.

But still, I can't help but think: is there some sort of eight-channel mixer that is high-quality but still within your budget?

Like an eight-channel version of this
Manley 16x2 mixer
? Or a way of getting this sort of quality for a little cheaper? Or is it worth it to bite the bullet and get something like this????

16x288.jpg

Now, I've never used this personally, but Manley doesn't seem to make junk, knowhattamean?

Wow... that puppy is well over my budget.. $9,500? I would have to sell my wife AND my motorcycle..

Cool piece of gear though.. alas...

• Members

Wow... that puppy is well over my budget.. $9,500? I would have to sell my wife AND my motorcycle..

Cool piece of gear though.. alas...

Yeah, well over your budget. But you see what I'm getting at? You get a mixer. That's the way you like to work. But it's good enough quality that you don't require "workarounds" such as getting a mixer and then a bunch of mic preamps that you use to bypass the mixer's preamps. So if there's something like the Manley or something else that saves you money and grief in the long-run....I don't know whether somebody like Speck or TubeTech (or TubeTop or whatever they're called) has an 8-channel mixer that's seriously great that is closer to your budget.

• Members

If you're stuck on a mixer, how are the preamps on the Toft ATB? The 16-channel is only $4,500. I haven't been really impressed with the preamps on my AFC-2, but the EQ is KILLER. If the EQ on the board is as good as the AFC-2, it could be worth picking up a Toft board and several FMR RNP units to replace the onboard preamps, unless the board preamps are nicer than the ones on the AFC-2. They're alright, but I think the RNP is better.

• Members

If you're stuck on a mixer, how are the preamps on the Toft ATB? The 16-channel is only $4,500. I haven't been really impressed with the preamps on my AFC-2, but the EQ is KILLER. If the EQ on the board is as good as the AFC-2, it could be worth picking up a Toft board and several FMR RNP units to replace the onboard preamps, unless the board preamps are nicer than the ones on the AFC-2. They're alright, but I think the RNP is better.

I thought about a Toft but it seems I read a couple of reviews that brought up some noise issues...or something..I can't remember but something made me stop consisering them.

I suppose a couple nice mic preamps and a really decent converter could be a good starting place.. I'm just gonna have to scratch my head for a bit..

Thanks all..

• Members
I thought about a Toft but it seems I read a couple of reviews that brought up some noise issues...or something..I can't remember but something made me stop consisering them.

I suppose a couple nice mic preamps and a really decent converter could be a good starting place.. I'm just gonna have to scratch my head for a bit..

Thanks all..

I can't speak about the console as I haven't used it, but I haven't had any noise issue with my Toft preamp/EQ. And the EQ is really, REALLY nice, to the point where I'm amazed at how cheap it was to purchase. An FMR RNP plugged into the line inputs on a Toft AFC-2, with an RNC or RNLA in the RNP's insert, makes for two very solid and reasonably-priced channels.

If I had an HD rig or another setup where I had enough DA conversion to really mix out of the box, I'd have a Toft console just for the EQ to do my mixing and EQ work.

But I'm no pro - just a weekend warrior. :) In a pro studio environment, maybe I'd think the Toft was noisy. But so far I've no complaints at all on that topic.

Archived