California Gurls...

• Moderators

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b193902_are_beach_boys_really_gunning.html

apparently Snoop says " I wish you all could be California gurls" at the very end of the song...and the publishers (not the authors) are looking to get paid... :rolleyes:

Which is why clearance is so crucial.

This controversey ultimately won't hurt the song, but as it was already headed up the charts...the publishers smelled $...

• Members

Publishers ...

I really hate to stick up for Katy Perry / Snoop. I saw an interview with Katy where she was really vein and totally in love with herself.. it made me want to vomit.. everything that's wrong with music..

So anyways.. in come the publishers.. they don't give a {censored} about the beach boys, they just want that cut of the royalties because they do nothing for it- it's free money. What's next? Lynard Skynyrd's publishing / label asking for money every time someone mentions the south?

I think it would fail in court- and they know it, else they would have filed already. Calling on her publicly to "do the right thing" is a huge PR stunt to paint her as a thief if she doesn't cough up dough.

Sad. I'd really like to see everyone involved fail, really.

• Members

So anyways.. in come the publishers.. they don't give a {censored} about the beach boys, they just want that cut of the royalties because they do nothing for it- it's free money.

My understanding is that Wilson/Love have no claims to royalties for that song as rights were sold in the Sea of Tunes saga and were not returned in the subsequent lawsuit (although Wilson/Love did receive a multi-million dollar compensation payout).

In that light the closing statement of the article...

Even if they're doing it without the cooperation of the artists they're protecting.

...smacks of poor research or a media beat-up.

The tone of the article seems to give the impression that the publisher is somehow going behind the Beach Boys' back by chasing royalties, but surely it is entitled to do so, since the publisher paid out the writers for control of the material.

(Note: I haven't heard the Snoop quote in the song, so I'm not commenting on whether the publisher has a valid case or not)

• Members

I never argued that the publisher did or didn't have the publishing rights to the californiz girls song, I'm sure they do..

That has nothing to do with the points I was making, which were mostly just the opinion that the publisher in this case comes off as a fascist, but you admitted you haven't listened to the song, so opinions have no validity regardless.

• Moderators

I have heard it, and he says it...butthey have every right to pursue it, which is why, as I said, it is always crucial to get your clearances. Pay the license fees...up front...the legal costs alone will outweigh any income now.

I agree KP comes off as a real stuck-up diva, and for no good reason...she's not that outstanding, more a 'flavor of the month' AFAIAC.

• Members

I never argued that the publisher did or didn't have the publishing rights to the californiz girls song, I'm sure they do..

That has nothing to do with the points I was making, which were mostly just the opinion that the publisher in this case comes off as a fascist, but you admitted you haven't listened to the song, so opinions have no validity regardless.

I was just making the point (probably poorly) that this is a garden variety dispute between lawyers. The 'journalist' doesn't need to choose a side, but decides to anyway.

• Members

This would be interesting, because although she uses the Phrase

"California Gurlz" it's not spelled the same and the song bears no resemblance whatsoever to the original.

If it ever did go to court they'd just have to pay the 9.1% if they were ruled against. It should be stated again that they did not have to ask permission to use the phrase....but they might have to pay for the privilege.....

• Members

This would be interesting, because although she uses the Phrase

"California Gurlz" it's not spelled the same and the song bears no resemblance whatsoever to the original.

I believe it's about more than just the two words. Snoop apparently says "I wish you all could be California girls". Swap the "you" with a "they" and you get the Beach Boys lyric. Probably wouldn't be such a fuss had he said "could all" instead of "all could"...

• Members

I believe it's about more than just the two words. Snoop apparently says "I wish you all could be California girls". Swap the "you" with a "they" and you get the Beach Boys lyric. Probably wouldn't be such a fuss had he said "could all" instead of "all could"...

Yeah I didn't watch it that close....

She is hot though...in an irritating way....

Archived