Help me hook up a work clock to my digi 002

• Members

Ok, I know this might seem like a stupid question so please be kind. I need help hooking up a work clock to my digi 002. I recently bought a digimax fs, and would like to use the word clock that comes with this instead of the digi 002 clock. The digimax fs word clock is a coaxial cable hook up, but my digi 002 does not have a hook up like that. It has the alt sequence hook up, that looks like a rca jack. So what my question really is, how do I hook up the digimax fs word clock up to the digi 002, since I can not use a coaxial cable for it? Any help would be great and thank you so much

• Members

You don't. If you want to use the clock in the digimax, then you just tell ProTools to use the optical (ADAT) input for its clock. There is no dedicated wordclock input on the 002. :) Just go to "Settings" (I think that's right - I'm not in front of my ProTools computer) and "Hardware Setup", and make sure the optical format is set to ADAT, then select ADAT as your clock source.

I believe you will need to run optical cables out to in and in to out on both units so they will sync.

A single lightpipe cable will suffice, unless you're using an outboard AD / DA converter and want to route audio bi-directionally. If all you want to do is send audio from something like a Digimax to the 002 / Pro Tools, a single lightpipe cable, and setting PT to slave to the embedded word clock on the incoming lightpipe signal (as MrJoshua described) will be all you need.

You can do the same thing with 2 channel mic preamps A/D converters that have S/PDIF outputs, such as the API A2D, by using the S/PDIF RCA (coax) input on the 002 and selecting that as the external clock source.

• Members

A single lightpipe cable will suffice, unless you're using an outboard AD / DA converter and want to route audio bi-directionally. If all you want to do is send audio from something like a Digimax to the 002 / Pro Tools, a single lightpipe cable, and setting PT to slave to the embedded word clock on the incoming lightpipe signal (as MrJoshua described) will be all you need.

You can do the same thing with 2 channel mic preamps A/D converters that have S/PDIF outputs, such as the API A2D, by using the S/PDIF RCA (coax) input on the 002 and selecting that as the external clock source.

Yep. :) I use a Focusrite ISA-428 with eight-channel AD converter option card via ADAT, and an Apogee Rosetta 200 via S/PDIF. Nice to have eighteen inputs!

Yep.
:)
I use a Focusrite ISA-428 with eight-channel AD converter option card via ADAT, and an Apogee Rosetta 200 via S/PDIF. Nice to have eighteen inputs!

The only caveat, which I am sure you're aware of (but I mention it for those who might not know) is that when using both digital inputs (lightpipe / S/PDIF), you need to make sure both external devices are properly clocked. If both have BNC word clock connectors, you're golden - just connect those properly and select one device as the word clock master, and the other as the slave. Then use the incoming digital audio signal from the device that is serving as the word clock master as the clock source for Pro Tools, as described earlier.

Oh, and ADAT lightpipe is disabled at 88.2 / 96 kHz. The lightpipe jacks will function at the higher sample rates, but only as optical S/PDIF; and you can only use one S/PDIF interface at a time - so at higher sample rates, you're limited to only 10 simultaneous inputs - the eight analog inputs plus either one of the S/PDIF inputs - optical OR coax.

Yep.
:)
I use a Focusrite ISA-428 with eight-channel AD converter option card via ADAT, and an Apogee Rosetta 200 via S/PDIF. Nice to have eighteen inputs!

The only caveat, which I am sure you're aware of (but I mention it for those who might not know) is that when using both digital inputs (lightpipe / S/PDIF), you need to make sure both external devices are properly clocked. If both have BNC word clock connectors, you're golden - just connect those properly and select one device as the word clock master, and the other as the slave. Then use the incoming digital audio signal from the device that is serving as the word clock master as the clock source for Pro Tools, as described earlier.

Oh, and ADAT lightpipe is disabled at 88.2 / 96 kHz. The lightpipe jacks will function at the higher sample rates, but only as optical S/PDIF; and you can only use one S/PDIF interface at a time - so at higher sample rates, you're limited to only 10 simultaneous inputs - the eight analog inputs plus either one of the S/PDIF inputs - optical OR coax.

• 2 weeks later...

so, let's say he's running a big ben....

can the FS plug into that, and clock the digi?

Word clock from Big Ben (via BNC connector) to the BNC connector on the FS; set the FS to word clock slave. Then connect the lightpipe out from the FS to the 002, and set the clock source to external / ADAT lightpipe, as per Mr Joshua's instructions.

You may need to make sure that termination is set for the FS and at the Big Ben too. Check your manuals. :eek:;)

Archived