Tokai Love Rock Appreciation Thread

JcKerr

• Members

Originally posted by Bruce Bennett

I like'em.. but I do haveone problem with them..

There is a guy in my area that make "fake" Gibsons out of'em..

and they are not just "good" they are excellent fakes. and he sells them on ebay.

How much?

:D

• Members

I know this thread is about love rocks but i would just like to say that i have a tokai sg 61 reissue and it is just like butter. I love it, better than a new gibson IMHO. My other guitar player has a mik love rock that is just beautiful plays incredible

tokai = :thu: :thu: :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by The NeonSoul

Does anywhere sell the pre lawsuit ones to the uk besides E-Bay.

Errr.... everyone. The stubby horn/funny knobs versions are designed for the American market to circumvent Gibson's copyrights. The current European models have vintage-accurate dimensions except for an extra dimple on the headstock.

By the way, there was never a 'lawsuit' against tokai, it's just ebay hype used to sell things. All their shape changes over the years have been voluntary.

Here's a pic of my ls200 - a japanese exclusive:

Paladin2019-Body2.jpg

!Paladin2019-Body1.jpg

Paladin2019-Head.jpg

That's a 2001 model - note the accurate headstock and body

• Members

Originally posted by Paladin2019

Errr.... everyone. The stubby horn/funny knobs versions are designed for the American market to circumvent Gibson's copyrights. The current European models have vintage-accurate dimensions except for an extra dimple on the headstock.

By the way, there was never a 'lawsuit' against tokai, it's just ebay hype used to sell things. All their shape changes over the years have been voluntary.

That LS200 is a beauty....;)

The MIJ stubby horn/reversed knob versions didn't "fly", they still threatened lawsuits so all MIJ models are not available in North America anymore. But correct styled MIK are still available here in Canada...;)

• Members

Originally posted by TwangTwangTwang

Ishibashi doesn't carry them anyomore:confused:

The lineup was radically altered this year so they've taken tokai off the website until they get up to date. They're still selling them though.

• Members

That's a 2001 model - note the accurate headstock and body

sorry, the body isnt accurate.

At least the cap isnt. It should be flat, like this one

Tokai.jpg

1981 Tokai LS80

I call her my R8 killer.

loads of "accurate" features (though I really dont care about that)

top notch wood used

and my favorite part about this one is that I bought her from her original owner last year for only 200 dollars.

• Members

Originally posted by joesl8

How much?

:D

they have bounced around between 1500-2300 for his 59 Iced tea burst..

and they look DAMN GOOD! too.

He even bough an Edwards and is working on making one of them a Gibson.

I think he is trying for a "full pop" or 200,000.00+ price.

• Members

Originally posted by No Soul

sorry, the body isnt accurate.

Are you sure? It's flat between the pickups, I thought that was a big sticking point for vintage fans.

Originally posted by No Soul

and my favorite part about this one is that I bought her from her original owner last year for only 200 dollars.

Even in these days of Ebay, there are still fools and those of use foolish enough to hope!

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

Link to the new lineup?

I'll dig it out later, but there's a scan of an up to date catalogue floating around somewhere.

Basically they're doing a lot more high end stuff in the LP Standard price range, including 335 and LP custom types. Most of it is approaching Historic spec - long tenons, nitro finishes, expensive wood etc.

• Members

Are you sure? It's flat between the pickups, I thought that was a big sticking point for vintage fans.

on closer look, maybe its just an optical illusion because of the cheveron of the flames, but the deck should be really flat, and there shouldnt be a buldge on the back of the top behind the TOM like there is on modern LPs.

Honestly, its neat, but I cant say I honestly care.

Bragging rights at best ;)

I think the reason I scored mine for so cheap is because as I mentioned it was purchased from the original owner. He bought in (from the city I was born in the same year I was born which is kinda neat to me) under the pretense that it was a cheap substitute, and was under the impression that it wasnt even up to par with an Epiphone. Who am I to argue :D

• Members

Here's a pic of my ls200 - a japanese exclusive:

Paladin2019-Body1.jpg

Paladin, what finish is that!? I was wondering if it came with the guard and holes or was it attached (looks clean left off). Changed the knobs and pups too as well? Nice man, nice!

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by joesl8

Paladin, what finish is that!? I was wondering if it came with the guard and holes or was it attached (looks clean left off). Changed the knobs and pups too as well? Nice man, nice!

:thu:

That's violin finish - tokai code for faded sunburst. It's a standard colour throughout the range. :cool:

It came without screw holes, but there was a guard and bracket in the case so you could add it if you wanted to.

The knobs, pups, electronics and most of the hardware have been changed. Nothing wrong with any of it, but I had more spare money back then and I was out to create my perfect guitar. The pups are Duncan APH-2's but I plan to switch them out for Bareknuckle Mules soon. I'll keep the colour scheme the way it is, I really like the mismatch look.

Thanks for the comments!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'll dig it out later, but there's a scan of an up to date catalogue floating around somewhere.

Basically they're doing a lot more high end stuff in the LP Standard price range, including 335 and LP custom types. Most of it is approaching Historic spec - long tenons, nitro finishes, expensive wood etc.

You can find the 2006 Tokai Catalogue here.

http://www.tokaiguitars.com.au/catalogue.htm

Archived