Help with Altec 1689A preamp/mixer!

• Members

Bought one real cheap, one of the channel is VERY quiet, sending it back to daddys junky music to have it fixed, cause on the channel sounded pretty decent(although still quiet, with a SM-57, and AKG550 kick mic, on snare and kick). I am going to post a link to the Altec info sheet, but I have some questions:

1. It says it has phantom power, low cut, and some sort of gain switch? NO IT DOESN'T at least not that I can see, do they mean this was an option on some units, or is it internel switching, anyone know?

2. Anyone think I should just return it? With some junky trade ins I paid $30 with the 1 yr warranty so I think it was an ok deal.

Here is the LINK: http://www.vintagealtecinfo.com/Altec%20MIXER4B%201689A%20Mixer%20Preamplifier.html

• Members

{censored} read it over, says its all internal......i have yet to open it up, but should the switches be pretty obvious?

I did it! wow small {censored}ing switches in there, but they were all labeled, it was set to line, for both inputs, so hopefully now that it's set to mic, ill get some signal, haha. It was really neatly done inside, not many parts in there, anyone know of any upgrades for this or other Altec Lansing stuff?

Archived