Myspace Streaming Song Quality Inquiry

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm wondering why my files get so down-graded after I upload them? It probably has a quite a lot to do with my material not being mastered, but why is the quality of my tracks diminishing so much when I upload it to the myspace site?

I am assuming that they run at their own compressed format, but when I compare the myspace stream to my old band's CD (mixed and mastered), it sounds great... however, my demos sound terrible.

In other words, when I rip my old band's CD, and upload a .mp3 file to the site, the difference between the uploaded .mp3 file and the streamed version of the file isn't all that much... BUT, when I go to upload my current demo mixes, the uploaded file vs. the streamed version sounds awful. Why the discrepancy here?

Does a mastered file really help that much with myspace postings?

Do you guys know any tricks to help prevent the diminishing of the sonic quality? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

PB

• Members

One thing I've noticed is that, whatever the myspace compression format is, it heavily alters the natural stereo image.

An important step that occurs in the mastering process is to define the center 'image' using an M/S processor (or doing it manually). Your demos probably have inferior mono compatibility.

That, and they're probably not nearly as bright as most modern masters.

• Members

One thing I've noticed is that, whatever the myspace compression format is, it heavily alters the natural stereo image.

An important step that occurs in the mastering process is to define the center 'image' using an M/S processor (or doing it manually). Your demos probably have inferior mono compatibility.

That, and they're probably not nearly as bright as most modern masters.

Thanks for the response. It's greatly appreciated. Hopefully, someone who knows what's going on with their streaming file types will be able to chime in!

Archived