The Daily Studio Updates Thread

• Members

Let's see- today I start tracking everything but drums for a classic (like AC/DC) rock band who's coming in from Delaware- good ol' Les Paul/Marshall rigs... I'll probably try to get some actual room sound with the guitars and try for more of a "Let There Be Rock" vibe.

Finished a hip-hop single last week that required more producing on my end than usual- IOW, they had me sing stacked harmonies to pad out the existing melody!

I just got done putting finishing mastering touches on a 16-song (yikes!) nu-metal CD- the mixes are finished, and we're trying out different sequences with some cool between-song transitions. I'm leaning towards a 13-song with 3 bonus tracks. The tones overall lean towards thick and pushy rather than brash, and no amp sims were used. Very little Drumagog, too, although it's a great tool for 'tip' consistency on the kick.

Also, I'm waiting for final mix approval on a 7-pc 'show' band who recorded a bunch of '70's covers last two weekends. They're really tight musically, they're all around my age (late 40s), and just all-around fun to work with.

So I'm staying fairly busy lately and booking more into the summer.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

15 hours is a damn long day. So is 12. In the beginning my ears used to be completely useless after 8 hours of serious work. It would be that type of thing where you either don't hear any detail anymore, or where even the smallest change sounds like a huge difference. I actually do a lot of 12-hour days now. A while back I did one or two days that went into 14-15 hours tracking a band live. Not for the faint-hearted...

BUT, what I actually came here to say was: Gentlemen (and any ladies that might be present), I am now the proud owner of a Heil PR30. Thank you for helping to steer me in the right direction. It really is an AWESOME MIC. I've tried it on everything UstadKhanAli said it was good on and, dude, you ain't kidding. It's definitely gonna be my go-to mic on a lot of things. I tried it on kick drum as well and it sounds very good. I almost soiled myself when I heard how good it made my Les Paul and Marshall JMP Super Bass sound. It's great when you spend money on something and know as soon as you plug it in that it's gonna make a big difference to your work.

My GAS is, temporarily, a thing of the past. :D

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Dang, it's about time someone revived this thread. I really enjoyed it. I just finished producing an album for an indie-rock band and some more tracks for a rapper I did an album for earlier this year. I started tracking today on an African Gospel/Jazz album I'm producing at the moment.

I'm also putting my new B&W 685's through their paces and running them in. They are absolutely gorgeous. I'm hearing things I've never heard in recordings before. They came highly recommended by a number of engineers/producers I know and I'm really glad I listened to them.

• Members

Tonight will be an off night for me, so I'll be using the opportunity to get a little cleaning done. Then I'll get on the phone and set up the next session with the guys I'm recording now. I'm really excited about this project, and the guys seem to be very pleased with how things are going. This is their third album and it's developing into a pretty good rock record, IMO.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Wow this thread died off.

Well I haven't played my '97 Strat in ages so I went to the local shop to get it setup. I was sitting there stringing it myself but it's been so long I couldn't do a respectable job... so I had them do it.

I thought I'd be paying around $25 total but I was just charged for cost of strings.

Awesome.

• Members

Wow this thread died off.

Well, then let's keep it going!

Let's see- a while back I had asked about economic slow-downs among the studio gang here, and yet this week I have 2 major-long sessions:

Tuesday and Wednesday a friend is flying in from Phoenix to record an EP- he'll play everything himself and I'll mix after he goes home. He's a great drummer, and cool "Foo"-type of approach to guitar riffs. He'll play my house kit (an old Premier kit with biggish toms), and use all my guitars and amps as well. This stuff was recorded here almost 3 years ago:

http://www.myspace.com/loanerrock

Thursday and Friday it's "Grave Robber"- they have a small-label deal, and will recording a full-length in October. They're doing one new song, plus replacing the drums on 3 previously-recorded tunes in the meantime. This was recorded here early summer of 2009:

http://www.myspace.com/graverobberpunk

And this (the first 3 songs on their playlist)-

http://www.myspace.com/thegreatfloodcatastrophe

-was recorded early this summer- it's my son's band and I'm very proud of the stuff they're coming up with. I engineered, and he produced it.

So, work keeps coming in (thankful for that) and this is the major piano-tuning season for me (school year starting up and all), so all in all it's going very well.

• Members

It's pretty cool that this thread is going again! :thu:

Things have been absolutely crazy at my studio pretty much since I last posted on this thread. I've produced +/-100 tracks since January.

This last month or so I've been working on 2 metal albums. The one band is somewhere between Sepultura, Pantera and Lamb Of God, while the other is a 6-piece power metal band. The power metal one is the biggest project I've done to date, with some of the tunes having around 90 tracks. Apart from drums, bass, keyboards and 3 guitars, they also have a full orchestra on most of the tunes that were done with EastWest Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra. I'm busy finishing up their stuff because I've got a screamo band coming in tomorrow.

• Members

It's pretty cool that this thread is going again!
:thu:

Things have been absolutely crazy at my studio pretty much since I last posted on this thread. I've produced +/-100 tracks since January.

This last month or so I've been working on 2 metal albums. The one band is somewhere between Sepultura, Pantera and Lamb Of God, while the other is a 6-piece power metal band. The power metal one is the biggest project I've done to date, with some of the tunes having around 90 tracks. Apart from drums, bass, keyboards and 3 guitars, they also have a full orchestra on most of the tunes that were done with EastWest Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra. I'm busy finishing up their stuff because I've got a screamo band coming in tomorrow.

Wow- that sounds like a lot of fun to work on!

• Members

I started tracking an 8 piece polka outfit last night . Using all 18 inputs of my 003 for the first time! They are recording live all in the same room , NO overdubs whatsoever. Last night was really cool and it was definitely an experience. Finishing up tracking tonight. It was the first time Ive used my M-Audio Solaris mic . I direct mic'ed everything , but I also ran the Solaris in the center of the room in a figure 8 pattern. It added a TON to the final mix. Good sounding mic.

Starting a blues band this weekend

• Members

BTW- KillerV- are you still loving your Heil PR30? I'm looking for an extra all-purpose mic for general instrument use.

And I can't afford GAS right now...
:)

Oh yes, the PR30 sees a LOT of use in my studio. It's pretty much been used on everything at least once. It's been great on a number of voices and it's amazing on guitar-cabs, especially blended with a SM57. Works great on percussion and drums. There have been situations where I've used it on toms, snare and kick (especially with my DIY subkick) and it delivers great results every time. On acoustic guitars it gives something very unique and vintagey which may or may not work, but when it does it's great. It even worked well on a sax and flute I recorded a while back.

I've also gotten a modded Oktava MK319 and Shure KSM32, which are 2 really, really great condensers that sound like they should cost a whole lot more. If you're looking for something that will, at the very least, deliver good results on just about anything I'd suggest the KSM32. It's a very neutral mic that basically records what you put in front of it with very little coloration. If I have to move fast and I'm in doubt as to which mic will work best, the KSM32 is what I use.

BTW yeah, the 2 metal albums were a lot of fun to do. I love good metal and both bands were really good. I'll try to post links once the bands have put their tunes online. I've got the screamo band up next, after which I've got a singer/songwriter girl's EP, some world music and an very old-school/vintage sorta album that I'm gonna be working on. Very exciting!

• Members

I'm recording a band called Spire:

http://www.myspace.com/spireny

They actually did pre production via guitar pro. Everything is notated out. Drums were recorded with a click and to the guitar pro files. There are several time changes (like going from 4/8 to 5/4 and things like that) :eek:

We are running a click and the drums are some of the most complex I have heard out of a band.

Anyhow some pics:

Drum setup (I don't remember the make of the kit snare was a mapex black panther and cybals were all Sabian and Paiste):

All mics except the room and hats were going into the octane pres on my profire and the room and hat mic were being fed into a toneport UX2 no mic pre modeling (yucky).

home made subkick and audix D6 for the kick

sm57s on both the rack toms

audix i5 on the snare

AKG D112 on floor tom

EV RE200 set for overheads

Audix f15 for the hats

Studio projects C1 for the ambient mic

l_6810df3a47cd4f6fbf41bd50f066b1c0.jpg

l_04a729d8e78b4ea891ebed37838411e7.jpg

l_f951599f412444848d66ce9614791c6b.jpg

l_3997213805ef485a9929b6317d5d5163.jpg

l_4d9d15ec146c4dd28711209826c0d722.jpg

l_ab7c47d19129438d92b11b5d63f08973.jpg

Guitars:

Guitar was a schecter diamond lefty with 85/81 pups

Amp was 5150 boosted (tubescreamer clone with the output dimed, gain all the way down and tone to taste) into my crate with vintage 30s miced with a 57:

l_479f8d13813e41e2b4b73edade8a5133.jpg

l_af1b9126b76a4627a132cde1f7081305.jpg

Archived