The Daily Studio Updates Thread

• Members

I've been finishing off a mellower album that is based around lots of effects, delays, reverbs. Sort of Pink Floyd-ish at times. Most of the vocals are three/ four part harmony, and most of the tracks have 20-30 overdubs, so it's pretty built up. I've mixed some songs three times, just to get it perfect. It's amazing what you hear when you come back to it a day or two later.....the first impression of it when you haven't been mixing it for awhile that day.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I recorded a trio of High school kids that rocked. I really like recording kids for the 1st time. I'd like to think I am very good at that.

I recently set up 3 fairly diverse monitor systems It should make it easier to mix. I have a fair amount of work which is great since i was laid off from my part time/half my income morning gig.

• Members

I forgot, last Friday I was reamping a track through a 5150 and I kept getting loud feedback when I turned the amp on....after wasting 15 min looking over my signal chain and other crap I realized that I bumped the volume on the amp and that is why I was getting the noise........I felt like a dope.

• Moderators

Tonight I track guitars. We're replacing the rhythm parts for 4 or 5 tunes that weren't played up to snuff on the basic sessions. Mostly it'll be a very nice Tele > Fulltone OCD > Blackheart 5 watt > Avatar with 1 V30 > Fathead > API > PT. Might swap out to an old Les Paul for doulbes or my Yammy with P90s.

Maybe a 414 in omni out in the room somewhere.

That's the plan until it all changes. Fun, I love this stuff. Oh yeah, I got to remind him to bring his old Gibson amp too. Noisy as hell but... you know. Cool...

• Moderators

I love the API on everything! But yeah, it's a forward kind of sound. That Fathead sounds really good into it. And with a Tele, the ribbon makes sense, on paper at least. And the 2:1 transformer switch really adds a creamyness to guitar when appropriate.

No, the API rocks for everything. If I have a question at all about it, it would be for very hi fi vocals. Not really its forte. But I don't do that kind of slick R&B sound anyway.

• Members

Last night I put in a new cable from the patchbay to one of the inputs on my Apogee Rosetta 200. It's been acting funny lately - it'll be going along just fine, then suddenly the signal strength will drop way down, then it'll come back strong again. I think it's a faulty cable. I'm going to track some drums tonight, so we'll see how it acts.

• Members
You might be getting power drop outs too. Do you have a good power conditioner?

With battery backup?

No battery backup, but it isn't the power. I do have it on a conditioner, but only because they make handy rackmount power strips. If it was the power it would show up in other ways. To start, the UPS on my studio computer would be kicking on, and it isn't. :) I'm pretty sure it's an intermittent cable fault.

• Moderators

The guitar tracking went great. What a tone! I ended up with the CAD Trion 8000 in the other room instead of the 414. Nice. I just rolled off the highs off around 6k and panned opposite the close mic. This is going to work out better than double tracking for this project I think.

• Members

i have begun a mixtape for a my brothers rap/pop group. I have done some remixing to popular songs and its all going well.

I hope to get the free record out this month. I wonder what if any copywrite laws i am crossing. I guess if I sell it then I have to worry,

news to come.

• Moderators

Final mix session with No Reply at 12... now, he's late.

Then vocals for The Saltlickers at 5. This guy's going to be fun... and though I don't drink anymore I suspect he will be racking up the empties. We'll see how this fare for getting things done. I'll let you know.

• Members

I finished up (or thought I did) some mixes for a band in the middle of last week and sent them the mixes to let me know what they think. I didn't hear from them again and phoned them last night to basically tell them I'll post them their masters, only to hear that they've got a couple of things they want changed. I'm fine with changing something here and there, but would've liked it if they wouldv'e opened their mouths a little earlier. I'm starting work on other projects. Anyway, I just asked that they send me an e-mail with the things they want changed. Now this is the crappy part: Almost everything is a case of the frontman/lead guitarist wanting to be louder. The other things are parts that they/he either now want completely removed from the mixes completely or edited in a different way - all of which were agreed upon before they left the studio!

This pisses me off quite a bit because it changes stuff in the mixes and costs me extra time and effort. If they didn't want certain parts, I feel that they should've decided on that before I started mixing. I gave them a disc with rough mixes on the day they left.

I also did a deal for them on a per-song basis, so on this particular deal it isn't even like I can really charge them more for my extra time without it turning at least a little sour.

Sorry to be all negative. Just wanted to blow off some steam.

Archived