The Daily Studio Updates Thread

• Members

I just moved my studio from a small room to a bigger room....

I think it looks nice....

I am almost done, but I am ready to record (which I have a session today-vocals only)...

I will post pictures later....

Why don't we all post pictures????

I think It will be cool!

Omar :thu:

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Last night...

I have 2 projects. One in a PC that needs to be mixed. And one in a Mac that just had the basics tracked this past weekend. So I should be mixing that PC project, right? They're waiting. But I really wanted to check this past weekend's tracking so I started in on pocketing the drums. Well, first I comped from three takes. Hey, it's starting to rock.

This is old style rockin' R&B. Drummer worked out far better than I thought he would... some cool, tasteful fills, and a pretty good pocket. But pretty good could be better...

So using Elastic Audio in Pro Tools and in Slip Mode, I'm sliding back any geek-outs. To me, a geek-out in a groove are those little pushed notes in a phrase where the rest lay back. I close my eyes and listen and... there! Then I look against the grid and lo and behold he's ahead for a few and in an inconsistent manner; geek-out. The flow was dropped! The groove has left the building.

If pushing sound good, great! But in this stuff, pushing is akin to whiteness. Akin to Wonder Bread. To cotton candy... and we want whiskey and smoke and grease and pork. So it gets slid back behind but not on the grid.

It's going to sound good.

• Moderators

Last night I shopped some more instead but... all I could think of in between purchases for family members was, "Should I install Pro Tools 8 now? Is it wise? I wonder how hard it is to revert?"

So, I kinda was in the studio last night, even though I was physically in Barnes & Noble. BTW, since iTunes doesn't carry the Beatles, and my 11 year old digs the early stuff, I got her Rubber Soul and The Beatles For Sale CDs to load into iTunes.

Of course that will leave some unused CDs laying round.

• Members

Last night I recorded guitar tracks for a new song I'm working on. I was doing two tracks - one a slightly crunch lead on my Epi Dot (with P-90's) and the other a heavy distortion rhythm line on my PRS SE Singlecut. I recorded DI tracks and then reamped and recorded the mic'd amp. I discovered three things:

1) For this song at least, I liked the RNP better than the Solo/610 both for the DI recording and later when recording the mic'd amp (using my e906 mic). The Solo/610 was making the distortion sound too muddy. The RNP had better clarity.

2) I can't turn my Valve Jr up too high when recording, cause too many things buzz and rattle and the mic picks that up. I have it on an AmpWedge and I probably should get a Gramma, but I think the buzzes and rattles are within the cabinet itself not from other stuff in the room. So I had to get the distortion from my pedals and keep the overall volume low. I already down-tubed the preamp tube from a 12AX7 to a 12AT7 but even still I need to keep the volume below 12 o'clock to avoid the buzzes and rattles.

3) I just got my Sparkle Drive off eBay last week and this was my first time recording with it. I really like it. The overdrive part is just a standard tubescreamer-sounding overdrive, but the gain knob seems to have a slower response curve than other overdrive pedals (I had a TS-9 previously, and now I have the Jekyll & Hyde). You can still turn it up all the way and get pretty heavy overdrive, but it seems easier to dial in a subtle amount of crunch than it was with other overdrives. And then when you blend in the clean, it just sounds so nice. It was perfect for the lead part I recorded last night. I imagine it will also be good for getting a jangly rhythm sound.

• Moderators

Last night I recorded guitar tracks for a new song I'm working on. I was doing two tracks - one a slightly crunch lead on my Epi Dot (with P-90's) and the other a heavy distortion rhythm line on my PRS SE Singlecut. I recorded DI tracks and then reamped and recorded the mic'd amp. I discovered three things:

1) For this song at least, I liked the RNP better than the Solo/610 both for the DI recording and later when recording the mic'd amp (using my e906 mic). The Solo/610 was making the distortion sound too muddy. The RNP had better clarity.

2) I can't turn my Valve Jr up too high when recording, cause too many things buzz and rattle and the mic picks that up. I have it on an AmpWedge and I probably should get a Gramma, but I think the buzzes and rattles are within the cabinet itself not from other stuff in the room. So I had to get the distortion from my pedals and keep the overall volume low. I already down-tubed the preamp tube from a 12AX7 to a 12AT7 but even still I need to keep the volume below 12 o'clock to avoid the buzzes and rattles.

3) I just got my Sparkle Drive off eBay last week and this was my first time recording with it. I really like it. The overdrive part is just a standard tubescreamer-sounding overdrive, but the gain knob seems to have a slower response curve than other overdrive pedals (I had a TS-9 previously, and now I have the Jekyll & Hyde). You can still turn it up all the way and get pretty heavy overdrive, but it seems easier to dial in a subtle amount of crunch than it was with other overdrives. And then when you blend in the clean, it just sounds so nice. It was perfect for the lead part I recorded last night. I imagine it will also be good for getting a jangly rhythm sound.

Sounds like a fun night. By the way, there's a company doing mods for the Valve Jr. They're called Bit Mo'. As in "a little bit more". They make an attenuator for that very amp. Goes between the Valve Jr. and your cab. Crank up the gain, attenuate the cab.

Check eBay. Search on Bit Mo if you're interested.

• Members

Sounds like a fun night. By the way, there's a company doing mods for the Valve Jr. They're called Bit Mo'. As in "a little bit more". They make an attenuator for that very amp. Goes between the Valve Jr. and your cab. Crank up the gain, attenuate the cab.

Check eBay. Search on Bit Mo if you're interested.

Yeah I've read about them before. I don't want to spend more on my Valve Jr though because eventually I want a better amp anyway. Probably a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

• Members

I gave serious consideration to the Valve Jr., but decided to go with the Orange Tiny Terror instead. I've been really happy with the decision ever since. I love that amp. :)

Also, last night I did some mixing on a project and bounced a few mixes down for comparison purposes.

• Moderators
I gave serious consideration to the Valve Jr., but decided to go with the Orange Tiny Terror instead. I've been really happy with the decision ever since. I love that amp.
:)

Also, last night I did some mixing on a project and bounced a few mixes down for comparison purposes.

I went with the Blackheart. I like it a lot. More Marshall like than the Valve Jr. I love the Orange as well but for now I'm good, though Orangeless.

• Members
I went with the Blackheart. I like it a lot. More Marshall like than the Valve Jr. I love the Orange as well but for now I'm good, though Orangeless.

Between my gear and the gear buddies have in my studio room, I have a pretty decent collection of guitar amps, I think. The Orange Tiny Terror into an Avatar 2x12 with Celestion drivers, a mid-70's Fender Bassman into an old Marshall 2x12, an Epiphone Galaxie 10 class-A tube combo with an 8-inch driver when I want little amp sounds, a Crate solid-state 2x12 combo for extra-clean sounds, and a Mesa-Boogie studio preamp tube pre into a Crown XLS-602 to be used with one of the 2x12 cabs for over-the-top lead tones. Then I have a Fender US "Highway 1" Strat, an Ibanez dual-humbucker of some sort, a buddy's Gibson SG with P-90 pickups, and two buddies bring over their US Telecasters from time to time. A fair range of options for electric guitar sounds, as home studios go, I think. :)

• Moderators

Nice amp options Mr. J! Very nice.

So last night...

After completing overdubs for No Reply's album it feels like mixes are almost done. I get plenty of time between sessions to start tweaking automation and tones and setup fx chains etc. So really, all I need to do is begin checking on my Avantones...

Whoa. It always amazes me how cool these little speakers are. All of a sudden the snare doesn't snap like the reference CD (Fountains of Wayne's latest). The kick disappears. The lead vocal is too load and dull. The bass guitar sounds right but too thin. Those snazzy backups with the crazy delay and wobbly chorus... where are they?

And it's all in the mids. As ugly as these little peckers sounds, how come FOW sound great on them? Cause they've got the mids right. It's so easy to think the snare is airy when you can hear all the highs. Or the kick is punching until you take away everything under 80Hz or so.

But the best part is how great it sounds once you go back to full range. HEY!!! THOSE MIDS!!!! YEAH!!!!

That's what I did last night. Got through 1 tune in 2 hours. That I thought was already mixed. I need to be A/Bing during the whole process going forward.

• Members

That's awesome. :) "Pick up a set of secondary reference monitors" is on my list of things to do in the near future. Something that will sound completely different than the ADAM A7's/Sub8 combo (I have those set up where I can bypass the sub - I really only use it from time to time when I want to check things in the real low end). A set of Mix Cubes or something like that.

Of course, first I want to put up a building, because I'm out of room in my place. >.

• Members

Cool thread! Nice to hear how fellow travelers in this business are doing. No new 'toys' this year (they are really tools, dangit), but am really busy finishing a lot of projects at once. My basic setup has been the same for about 6 years. I did purchase some plugs this year that I really like- the Voxengo Anologflux package is really great- especially the chorus. A friend of mine is starting to build custom tube stuff, and the prototype tube-driver is a great front-end to an amp.

The main big thing right now is finding the perfect rhythm guitar level on a 'nu-metal' CD that I'm producing. Not enough and it lacks aggression. Too much and it loses punch. I'm not up nights, but still...

• Members

Back atcha!

I just did guitars yesterday, micing up a Carr Rambler (with the tremolo on) with a Heil PR30 and a Lawson L251 in the distance, playing guitar on an Ibanez archtop. The Carr just seems to eat up any sort of archtop, and I lucked out and got a surprisingly good archtop. Anyway, very nice!!!

• Members

We're in the final stages of mixing a children's album we've been writing and recording for several months now. :) Tonight we should put the finishing touches on two tunes, and get one last song at least close to done. I'm doing some rough home mastering as we go, purely for use on MP3 files for us to put on MySpace and such, and then we're looking around at options for getting a real mastering engineer involved for the CD. I'm happy with the way things sound with the Isotope Ozone plugin on the master bus, but I know it could be better with some real mastering equipment that I don't have.

• Members

Well, I added a few more items earlier this week; a matched pair of Oktava Mk012's, a pair of AKG C-451-b's, a Shure SM-7b, a very nice K&M boom mic-stand and stereo mic bracket. Also, UPS just dropped off a quad-interface (eSATA, FW-800, FW-400, USB2.0) Western Digital 500GB/7200rpm "My Studio" external hard-drive. Hopefully, I'll have time to set everything up over the holidays.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you.

Bob

• Members

Lost my studio a couple of months ago when I had to move out of my residence of 5 years due to the economy and divorce. Right now, I've got only the DAW setup in a spare bedroom/den of the new place; no acoustic control because it's not my house; no place to set up drums or other instruments.

On the flip side, I've started tracking a local band; I'm using a Studiomaster Classic 8 and my desktop DAW setup to track these guys in the house the lead singer lives in, a ginormous old mansion-esque house downtown. I almost did too good of a job... they listened to the near-final mixes, and became annoyed with their performances, so we're gonna retrack stuff in a couple of weeks. We're also going to shoot a video for one of the songs, and I'm gonna get to direct and shoot that, as well.

• Members

I have been mixing some songs (my bands).
I am also recording some tracks tonight.
I am also working on court reporting transcription CD's for a college.
I need to buy another UPS (I am getting some power issues that will need to be checked out too).

Oh I also would like to sell my POD XT and get a POD XT pro.

• Members

I added some new toys for Xmas....
- Primacoustic Recoils
- Addictive Drums
- a new sustain pedal (old one bashed to hell!)
- cabasa

Chilled while I had family in town for Xmas, about to get the other side of the family for new years. So not a whole lot of time to get any work done. Had someone over to the studio a few days ago to shoot an interview of me yapping about Christabelle (artist I produced a #1 single for and she just racked up a ton of HUGE awards so she's like super famous now). Managed to finish up a mix for someone yesterday and I just started preproduction on another song for Dahrio Wonder (on Foxxking - Jamie Foxx's label). January will be hell as I have a couple albums coming in plus a tracking date.

• Members

I've been coming up with acoustic demos left and right, it's astonishing. Electric guitar rarely inspired me, and I have had terribly dry periods playing acoustic, but since a month ago... it's just pouring out. It's quite awesome and gives me hope for finishing the album, since I'll have material to actually work with.

• Members

Yesterday, I recorded acoustic guitar using a Heil PR30 dynamic from about 4 feet away, and it came out really well, and seems to sit perfectly in a fairly intimate sounding track.

We also did some droney experimental tracks, the three of us cutting them completely live with just a couple of room mics. Analog keyboards, e-Bow guitar, and bass, all through amps.

Today, I've done a psychedelic track, recording my loud wah guitars and e-Bow guitar for one part, splitting the guitar into two signals going out to two guitar amps.

The mics are surrounded by RealTraps and thick packing blankets because the room isn't the greatest, and these enable me to get the mics far away from the amps to get a more spacious sound.

Archived