The Daily Studio Updates Thread

• Members

I love that wrinkly tom head in the 4th photo! Is their MySpace posting music that you've recorded for them?

No, their myspace stuff sounds like {censored}. haha

Despite the wrinkly head, the drums are VERY good sounding right now.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm spent the long-weekend (Monday was a public holiday here in South Africa) tracking the screamo band. I spent yesterday mostly editing and started full-on mixing today. They used my drumkit (8-ply birch Ludwig) and, mostly because I feel their songs and the style requires it, I made samples of the kick and snare and triggered those afterwards. I don't really know what other guys do mostly, but I'm still pretty stubborn that, even if I trigger/replace stuff on a kit, the samples has to come from the kit I recorded in the first place. The raw tracks came out sounding pretty good so mixing has been fairly easy so far.

I'm also finishing up some touch-ups on the power metal project. Just a solo or backing vocal or something here and there that the band want up in the mix. They're very happy with how their record is sounding overall.

• Members

This weekend will be week number two for my band recording at a local private studio. They have tons of amazing gear...Vintage Nuemann's, Neve 1081'1 (8), an api Legacy console, etc. The gear list just goes on and on. I'll try to post pics soon.

• Members

I'm done with the screamo band's mixes and they're very happy with it. They've already posted it on their Facebook page, if any of you want to have a listen:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/a-Beautiful-Tragedy/214928661441?v=wall&ref=ts

I don't think their music will be everyone's cup of tea, especially since they really do the whole Autotune-effect thing with clean vocals. Either way, considering their style, I'm pretty happy with everything The plan is to do a whole album, 3-4 songs at a time as the band's finances allow.

• Members

The guitars sound really thick. Sounds good. What DAW are you using?

I'm done with the screamo band's mixes and they're very happy with it. They've already posted it on their Facebook page, if any of you want to have a listen:

I don't think their music will be everyone's cup of tea, especially since they really do the whole Autotune-effect thing with clean vocals. Either way, considering their style, I'm pretty happy with everything The plan is to do a whole album, 3-4 songs at a time as the band's finances allow.

• Members

The guitars sound really thick. Sounds good. What DAW are you using?

Thanks man! I'm still on Cubase SX3. I just know it so well and everytime I consider upgrading there's something on which I can spend the money more wisely. Works for me. :thu:

• Members

This weekend will be week number two for my band recording at a local private studio. They have tons of amazing gear...Vintage Nuemann's, Neve 1081'1 (8), an api Legacy console, etc. The gear list just goes on and on. I'll try to post pics soon.

This is me w/ my son in front of the api Legacy:

IMG_2680.jpg

• Members

I spent the last 2 days tracking pop tunes with a fairly poppy singer/songwriter girl. I got my band's drummer (my sister) in to do the drums and I did all the rest, including bass, guitars and keys. We're on vocals now.

The power metal band whose album I produced put a track (called Sacred Oath)up on their Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Strident/8921914983?v=wall&ref=ts

SkullCap - that desk... :love:

• Members

Here are a couple of recent samples- this one from a punk band from Ft. Wayne, IN who keeps coming back to record- recorded 2 weeks ago:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10046862/Lion%20Sample.mp3

This one is from my son's band, recorded in June:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10046862/Ice%20Sample.mp3

Steady work keeps coming in, thank God, and I'll try to post a few clips/pics from when my friend from Yuma, AZ did a 2-day "played everything himself" session.

• Members

Thanks man! I'm still on Cubase SX3. I just know it so well and everytime I consider upgrading there's something on which I can spend the money more wisely. Works for me.
:thu:

Right on- be pragmatic with your gear!

Also- love the thick snare tone you're getting, too.

• Members

Here are a couple of recent samples- this one from a punk band from Ft. Wayne, IN who keeps coming back to record- recorded 2 weeks ago:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10046862/Lion%20Sample.mp3

This one is from my son's band, recorded in June:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10046862/Ice%20Sample.mp3

Steady work keeps coming in, thank God, and I'll try to post a few clips/pics from when my friend from Yuma, AZ did a 2-day "played everything himself" session.

Both clips sound really good. No wonder steady work keeps coming in! :thu:

BTW, the snare on both the screamo and power metal stuff is my kit's snare: a Ludwig 8-ply birch 14"X6.5" mic'd with a single SM57 on top.

I just got back from a long weekend at the beach with my wife and twin boys. They were 5 months old yesterday and it was our first trip together as a family. I'm pretty much chilling this week with small studio-related stuff here and there. I'm booked pretty much solid into October, with more coming in, so I'm happy to just be with my family in a quieter week.

• Members

Both clips sound really good. No wonder steady work keeps coming in!
:thu:

BTW, the snare on both the screamo and power metal stuff is my kit's snare: a Ludwig 8-ply birch 14"X6.5" mic'd with a single SM57 on top.

I just got back from a long weekend at the beach with my wife and twin boys. They were 5 months old yesterday and it was our first trip together as a family. I'm pretty much chilling this week with small studio-related stuff here and there. I'm booked pretty much solid into October, with more coming in, so I'm happy to just be with my family in a quieter week.

Thanks!

Yup - love that fat "thwak" snare-wise. I'm still a 57 guy- and quite a few guys come here with pretty poor snares, so I try to 'encourage' the use of mine...

A family is such a huge blessing- I have a son 20, and two daughters, 17 and 14. Married 27 years to the most supportive babe I can imagine.

Here's another project I just started mixing- it's the guy from Yuma who played everything himself. Strange- he used my kit, my amps, etc.. and it still sounds like him!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10046862/Accelerate%20Sample.mp3

One last goofy thing- I'm still using Logic 5 on Windows... talk about calcified...

• Members

Just finished tracking! Now for hours of editing.
:(

I sometimes really like the editing part of the whole process just because I don't have to "think" (if that's the right word...) as much as I have to during tracking and mixing. I used to hate editing untill I found that it can be a very relaxing transition between tracking an mixing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I had a track that was, finished, or so we thought- it was recorded without a click, and I added the little extra slide guitar and shaker- here's a sample:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10046862/Mathis%20Grey%20Tune%20Original.mp3

Then I found out it's to go on a compilation disc- and supposed to be fully accompanied! So I iported the 2-mix into Logic, made a real time cowbell click track, added the band (me on everything) and here it is:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10046862/Mathis%20Grey%20Tune%20wBand.mp3

On the original 2-mix (that's all we had to work with!) I tried to boost a little mid-eq on the Cambridge when the chorus comes in- not sure if it helps to "pop" the vocal out enough.

It was a fun few hours, though.

• Members

TBush, nice work of transforming the tune. It's pretty impressive, considering that you only had the 2-mix of the original to work with. I like the drum sound you've got going there. The snare may be a touch too hot for my liking, but that might just be me. :thu:

I've spent the last week or so tracking a very old-school album (think Black Keys meets Led Zep) for a fairly well-known artist here in South Africa. We tracked him playing guitar with the drummer live, after which he played the bass parts before we started overdubs. Drums were a Pacifica kit with a mahogany snare, and guitars used were an SG, Explorer, 60's Hagstr

• Members

TBush, nice work of transforming the tune. It's pretty impressive, considering that you only had the 2-mix of the original to work with. I like the drum sound you've got going there. The snare may be a touch too hot for my liking, but that might just be me. :thu:

I've spent the last week or so tracking a very old-school album (think Black Keys meets Led Zep) for a fairly well-known artist here in South Africa. We tracked him playing guitar with the drummer live, after which he played the bass parts before we started overdubs. Drums were a Pacifica kit with a mahogany snare, and guitars used were an SG, Explorer, 60's Hagstr

Archived