Wilkinson roller nut on strat plus

dirtbag_surfer

• Members

I am looking at a strat plus that has a Wilkinson roller nut and Sperzel locking tuners.

The issue is that I like to use heavy strings (12's or 13's) and I heard that it is hard or impossible to use heavy strings with the Wilkinson roller nut.

If this is the case, how hard (or how much $'s) is to remove the Wilkinson and replace with a graphite or other type of nut and will it look ok?

wnut.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by MONGOOZ

maybe go with something like this.....the shelf is already machined in the neck....it may bolt right on.....this one looks like it would give you a lot more possiblity with heavier strings.....

That one does look like it would work....for 9 bucks, worth a try.

Thanks

• Members
Originally posted by dirtbag_surfer

I am looking at a strat plus that has a Wilkinson roller nut and Sperzel locking tuners.

The issue is that I like to use heavy strings (12's or 13's) and I heard that it is hard or impossible to use heavy strings with the Wilkinson roller nut.

If this is the case, how hard (or how much $'s) is to remove the Wilkinson and replace with a graphite or other type of nut and will it look ok?

That is the case! I don't think you'll have a problem with the .012 string, but I tried a heavy bottom set on mine once and the .052 low E would not fit.

• Members

Switch it for an LSR. I used to have a Strat Plus originally fitted with a Wilkinson, but when I asked Store Guy to set it up for 10-52 strings, he told me that the Wilky wouldn't accept a 52 low E, so I had him replace it with an LSR. By the time I bought it ('98), Fender had already dropped the Wilkies in favour of LSRs as standard on the Plus and the Jeff Beck.

I recently sold the Plus in order to finance my Beck Custom Shop (LSR equipped, natch), but I note that Mr Beck's personal guitar - strung with a Wilky-friendly 11-46 - features the body and electrics of the current model combined with the Mk 1 neck, still carrying its Wilky nut.

So go figure.

• Members

You're right: the LSR isn't a direct drop-in replacement for the Wilky and there'll be a certain amount of woodwork involved, so I'd recommend a pro installation unless you're really good at that kind of stuff.

• 13 years later...
  • Members

There is an optional Wilkinson Roller nut that will accommodate the .012 1st string size (I forget the 6th string size rating, offhand).  But if you want to use a .013 1st, even that optional nut won't allow it.  See if you can find one, if you prefer it, but I'm 76 and I retrofitted the Fender LSR roller nut w/o special skills, so I'm sure you could do that with the kit that includes metal shims to adjust the height of the nut (if necessary).  Don't pay any attention to CSM on that issue.  The Wilkinson Roller nut the guitar comes/came with only accommodated a .010" 1st string size.  I hated it, got .011s stuck in it so many times, I switched it out for the LSR within the first month.

See:  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=wilkinson+nut&_sacat=0

• Members
14 hours ago, reedrainey said:

There is an optional Wilkinson Roller nut that will accommodate the .012 1st string size (I forget the 6th string size rating, offhand).  But if you want to use a .013 1st, even that optional nut won't allow it.  See if you can find one, if you prefer it, but I'm 76 and I retrofitted the Fender LSR roller nut w/o special skills, so I'm sure you could do that with the kit that includes metal shims to adjust the height of the nut (if necessary).  Don't pay any attention to CSM on that issue.  The Wilkinson Roller nut the guitar comes/came with only accommodated a .010" 1st string size.  I hated it, got .011s stuck in it so many times, I switched it out for the LSR within the first month.

See:  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=wilkinson+nut&_sacat=0

That was 13 years ago. Hopefully he's figured it out by now.

Archived