"I Am" - my first real song

• Members

I say that because it's the first one I finished with vocals.

http://www.jaderavendesign.com/mfr/music/

I just finished mixing and "mastering" it, but am posting here for mix crit.

I compared it to NIN "Something I Can Never Have", as far as levels.

mfriam2el0.th.jpg

Top is mastered, bottom is unmastered. I just used a preset with Modern Compressor.

mfriam1ud9.th.jpg

Inspector showing -9dB -- should it be higher? (maybe -6 or -3)

A couple obvious things, needs a de-esser. I did actually use one, but it's tricky using it. I don't have a pop filter for the mic, and I'm not sure if that's effective for sibilants as well. I also thought about notching out the guitar for the voice to fit a little better. Also one thing thats bugging me now is my pronunciation of O's, like "know" or "go". Probably closing off my throat.

• Members

I liked the one with the reverb better.

This was kind of scary and spooky. Seemed quite minimal instrumentation, a kind of weird slow floating ambience in the background that was a bit menacing. The guitar sounded cool. Is there a one note bass in there I hear or is it just the low of the guitar emphasised?

The vocals seemed suitably stalker-ish for the song, the way they're not dot on the beat kind of emphasises the spook. They're very breathy and not at all chesty. I tend to find singing like this will emphasise the esses and transients in your voice, perhaps try a little more chest voice, at a higher volume, maybe a bit further from the mic, and then the difference between the transients and the rest won't be so pronounced. I'd also try a pop filter. They're easy enough to make, you just have to convince some girl to give you her tights;)

• Members

I like it, the standard for overall level max is -12, and it seemed a little loud to me, but whatevs, the de-esser doesnt seem necessary as far as this song is concerned, it seems like it adds something to have those high frequencies mixed in, due to all the dark of whats goin on in the background. As far as pop filters go, if you get a metal cheap hanger and some pantyhose you can make one for dirt cheap

• Members

I like the moodiness and vibe of the song.

Since you are obviously singing very close to the mic, consider:

-compressing using a fast attack to get rid of the initial transient (but without squashing the vocal unnecessarily)

-use a de-esser, which you can do without losing the gorgeous high-frequency lift on your voice...another alternative to this is to go in by hand and dip the largest "ess" offenders (either with EQ, volume adjustments, or both)

-roll off the high frequencies on the signal feeding the reverb

Also, as you suspected, pop filters don't do anything for sibilance.

I like.

Archived