Am I crazy for wanting to get rid of my Digi 003?

• Members

and go back to my previous setup? I switched from a PC setup with a Delta 1010LT to a Digi 003R into my Macbook Pro. I decided to make the switch right before my band recorded a full album and I went back and listened to some of my old recordings and they sound MUCH better. Im sure its because I was more familiar with my setup (I was using Cool Edit Pro). I also used to record and use the preamps from my Allen & Heath and I pre- EQ'ed everything before I recorded it and it just came out sounding a lot better IMO. I guess Im just getting frustrated because I REALLY like the Pro Tools software and I like the stability of the MAC way way better , but Im just not as comfortable with it.

Im also noticing that Im having a new problem that Ive never had before , my recordings arent loud enough. Ive never had to do anything to my previous recordings to get them to CD levels , they just seemed to come out that way and now my recordings are way quieter. Just frustrated and looking for some advice.

• Members

You're using the Digi003R preamps now? Why don't you work the way you were before, using your other preamps, pre-EQing, etc.? You can easily do this with Digi003R.

I have Digi002 (thanks, Phil!! :wave: ), and I don't even use their converters. I use my own preamps and use an external converter that goes in via ADAT.

• Members

Yeah, as a choice between A&H preamps or the Digi onboard preamps, I'd probably go with the A&H. Especially if you're used to working that way. :) Why change what works? Just because you're using a different interface is no reason to change your methods.

• Members

Definitely use the A&Hs. We use A&Hs for my band's rehearsals. They work really well, especially for the money. If your previous method was working for you, go back and do it that way.

I especially like that you were EQing while going to, uh, disk. Committing and getting good results. I'm assuming you were EQing with an A&H board? Anyway, yeah, commit!!! :D

• Members

Im also noticing that Im having a new problem that Ive never had before , my recordings arent loud enough. Ive never had to do anything to my previous recordings to get them to CD levels , they just seemed to come out that way and now my recordings are way quieter. Just frustrated and looking for some advice.

First of all, I've never really considered this a problem. If something isn't as loud as commercial CD levels, does it matter? Turn up the volume?

However, if your clients really want this - and many of my clients now ask that even the rough mixes are as loud as commercial CD levels, get something like the Massey L2007 Limiter, which works beautifully, and will solve all your "problems". I use it sparingly and seem to like "Vibrant" mode with a "Normal" reaction setting. You can download it for free with no time period or beeps to check it out, and buy it for very little money. The Massey stuff is all high-quality stuff.

Archived