Bought 4000 plays at Jango.com

• Moderators

First, a "fan" is someone who "likes" your song.

That's hardly a fan imo. Don't want to sound harsh, but most of them probably don't even remember you today.

Just noticed this.

LIKE on a song is not the same as a person becoming a FAN. It's two different buttons at least. You get a lot more LIKEs than you do FANs, probably because it's an extra step.

About mailings:

Many people have complained to Jango about mailing their fans and not hearing back. At least part of that is because it's very difficult for a listener to tell they have email. Jango has been made aware of that and they say they're going to make it more obvious.

Can't argue with the not remembering for very long. You have to hit them with a follow up while your song is still fresh in their mind.

The biggest problem, IMO, is that many people have Jango on in the background during work and therefore are passive listening. They're barely paying attention, they're not going to suddenly leap up and press the LIKE button, look at your profile, and then FAN you. You need to get them at home. For whatever reason the percentage of LIKEs is much higher in the evening hours.

Terry D.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It could just be that people do not want to be bothered by the artist directly too, which may explain why they don't respond to e-mails. I know if I were to listen to songs and like them, I would just want to enjoy them, but not have the artist talk to me and say, "Hey, thanks! Didja like that? What did you like about it? Would you like to hear more?" I would actually be annoyed by that and it would turn me off from wanting to 'like' more of their music, for fear of more slightly-intrusive messages.

You mentioned that people are engaged in "passive listening" and I agree with you. I think people view music as a passive experience most of the time so it's just kind of there in the background, rather than it becoming something that one immerses themselves into and putting all their attention on it. As an artist myself (small time of course), I wondered why people would not contact me to tell me which songs they liked on my site or Myspace. Then I realized that I never did that myself for other artists. I would just visit a recording artist's website, listen to their songs, poke around a bit (some pics, check out a couple videos), then be on my way. Sort of like window shopping or just being a mallrat. Something to pass the time.

Unfortunately, I don't have the answer on how to get people to be more interactive with artists. I would like to know myself.

• Moderators

It could just be that people do not want to be bothered by the artist directly too, which may explain why they don't respond to e-mails. I know if I were to listen to songs and like them, I would just want to enjoy them, but not have the artist talk to me and say, "Hey, thanks! Didja like that? What did you like about it? Would you like to hear more?" I would actually be annoyed by that and it would turn me off from wanting to 'like' more of their music, for fear of more slightly-intrusive messages.

You mentioned that people are engaged in "passive listening" and I agree with you. I think people view music as a passive experience most of the time so it's just kind of there in the background, rather than it becoming something that one immerses themselves into and putting all their attention on it. As an artist myself (small time of course), I wondered why people would not contact me to tell me which songs they liked on my site or Myspace. Then I realized that I never did that myself for other artists. I would just visit a recording artist's website, listen to their songs, poke around a bit (some pics, check out a couple videos), then be on my way. Sort of like window shopping or just being a mallrat. Something to pass the time.

Unfortunately, I don't have the answer on how to get people to be more interactive with artists. I would like to know myself.

Jango suggests giving them free stuff, like a MP3 download.

I'm currently trying a special sale for our fans. I'll let you know how that works out.

Terry D.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Even though i ended my suscription to Jango they still give me free plays each week, wich i can allocate to a song to be played...not a lot of plays, but still 10 credits/plays.

Now for this week 1 out of the ten listeners "liked" it. In this case a guy from Mexico who also left his e-mail adress and even commented on my profile....his message read: Msllfhdgnn!

Now that is either Spanish for"hey, i like that song!" or he is kidnapped and needs help...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Jango is a solid service. The only thing I do not like about it is that it has been difficult for me to move the "fans" that I get on Jango onto my mailing list (could just be me). They are not as responsive. That could be just the nature of the listener and offering free downloads may not entice someone that just wants to stream music so that could be a factor.

There is another service called Earbits where I participated in a beta test. They do not have an extensive major label catalog but they are a tad cheaper and the fans seems more responsive. I've gotten more Facebook "Likes" and since they gave me the option of putting up a call-to-action (ei "Like this tune, get it free by clicking here") right on the page where my music plays. I was able to collect a a decent amount of email addresses.

Overall though I think that these service are legit and it doesn't hurt to try each one because results may vary from service to service depending on your music style.

• Members

Jango is a circle-jerk for musicians. NO ONE goes there to listen to music, other than musicians who pay for Jango to play their music.

{censored}, come on! Not a single person I know says "Hm, let me put on Jango and listen to some music!"

Casual listeners use Pandora for internet streaming. More serious music listeners use Spotify. Then there are the outliers, like Rdio and MOG.

NO ONE uses Jango. So go ahead and throw your money away, and get all happy when Jango says "oh wow, look, you have a thousand fans!!!"

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Jango is a circle-jerk for musicians. NO ONE goes there to listen to music, other than musicians who pay for Jango to play their music.

{censored}, come on! Not a single person I know says "Hm, let me put on Jango and listen to some music!"

Casual listeners use Pandora for internet streaming. More serious music listeners use Spotify. Then there are the outliers, like Rdio and MOG.

NO ONE uses Jango. So go ahead and throw your money away, and get all happy when Jango says "oh wow, look, you have a thousand fans!!!"

How do you know this? :confused:

Jango lists every single person, what channel they were listening to, and where they live, for each play. Are they making it up? Are all these people musicians? :idk:

Terry D.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Let assume 1000 small potato artists pay $100 for 4000 plays to jango.com, and each song is 3m:40s long,

then jango needs 88.000.000 seconds to play those small potato songs, that's 1018 days of small potato songs,

and the listener has to click 400.000 times the forward button in three years.

the good news however is,

jango earned $100.000 USD

Archived