Bought 4000 plays at Jango.com

• Members

I see you mentioning pandora radio....unfortunately it is not available in my country (Holland)

I would of course like to contact them to get my musicplayed (fantastic music, should be no problem)

Can any of you guys get me an e-mail adress for pandora?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

BTW, since I have you here, is there a different rate for internet radio of the sort that has lots of listeners at once vs the Pandora / Jango situation where one "play" means one listener at a time?

Europe: What I know is that several internet streaming services are still illegal, but the authors societies said that there is an agreement ahead soon.

The tarif internet radio will pay to the authors societies are not know yet.

In the countries where there is no interferring by aitzhors societies with this sort of things, from those terrotories you will never get a cent in royalties.

• Members

Terry,

What I can do for you is giving you the address of the website where radios get the songs from - any artist can be a member of this service, and radio programmer chose the best songs for their program, anmd when an "official" radio play your music, then you also get the usual royalties payed out. But it is work, each country has it's own service, means you would have to register in a fewcountries, but it's all free.

• Moderators

I see you mentioning pandora radio....unfortunately it is not available in my country (Holland)

I would of course like to contact them to get my musicplayed (fantastic music, should be no problem)

Can any of you guys get me an e-mail adress for pandora?

Everything you need to know about submitting to Pandora:

http://help.pandora.com/customer/portal/articles/24802-information-for-artists-submitting-to-pandora

Fantastic music or not, just a heads up that Pandora is extremely competitive to get on. Even if your music is the best ever made, they have areas of "need" and if your stuff doesn't fit the slot it will be rejected and no further submissions from that album will be considered.

So choose carefuly and best of luck! :)

:wave:

Terry D.

• Members

I listen to Jango for one hour now, and now just the first artist played who possibly payed to get played.

On a general note:

a) For example iTunes, but it could be any of the about 600 large sales portal worldwide, do not accept songs directly from the artist, but the artist has to use an aggregator, then this situation leads to that new service jump into this market gap, and of course develop idea to monetize their business.

b) The larger streaming radios pay most of their income to the major record companies so they get the hits. About 98% of the international hit songs are with the majors, as well national hit songs are also with the majors.

What the experts criticize here is that the streaming radios do not pay a fair share to the unsigned artists, and the smaller independent record companies don't get any advance when licencing their music catalogies to the streaming radios. In other word, large parts of the money this radios make go to the majors. Simfy owner said they payed $100 million so far.

c) Then there is a new kind of record companies which raised to the top in international distribution of music, this companies are called "Digital Record Company", they do not distribute physical CDs. Some of them have hundred of labels signed to them, and sub-licence the music worldwide. This is not exactly same service as an aggregator. This is an example of such a company:

http://www.zebralution.com

Zebralution is one of the world's leading digital distributors for independent labels. Founded in December of 2003, the company operates from locations in Duisburg, Berlin, Los Angeles, London, Paris and Barcelona. With label licensors from the German-speaking countries, the UK, and the United States as well as shop partners in North America, Europe, and Asia, Zebralution is a worldwide operation.

• Members

Everything you need to know about submitting to Pandora:

http://help.pandora.com/customer/portal/articles/24802-information-for-artists-submitting-to-pandora

Fantastic music or not, just a heads up that Pandora is extremely competitive to get on. Even if your music is the best ever made, they have areas of "need" and if your stuff doesn't fit the slot it will be rejected and no further submissions from that album will be considered.

So choose carefuly and best of luck!
:)

:wave:

Terry D.

Thanks for the link,however pandora is not for me i,m afraid......first of all, i need a pandora registration...now i could use a proxyserver to evade the blockade for my country by Pandora (Holland) ....but the real problem is getting the cd on Amazon.....and not only as an MP3 but as a physical cd to sell. Now i could make this happen by using CD baby as a US ditributor.....but the money they ask per cd plus shipping costs will bankrupt me if i actually manage to sell my record...wich just doesn't sound like a good idea..

I am however giving cd baby notice to get the record on Spotify.....not that it brings any money (it may even cost sales) but at least i can perhaps promote the music some more..

Choices, choises,nothing but choises

• Members

Here it is:

http://www.mx3.ch/

Radio programmer make their program right from this website, the rest is explained on the website. Click EN for English language.

Terry,

What I can do for you is giving you the address of the website where radios get the songs from - any artist can be a member of this service, and radio programmer chose the best songs for their program, and when an "official" radio play your music, then you also get the usual royalties payed out. All free for bands and artists.

• Members

The website is owned by Swiss Public Broadcasting Organisation (SRG SSR), and the author society SUISA.

Royalties payed per year to your territories:

£3.66 million GBP to Great Britain's MCPS and PRS.

$11 million USD to America's: AMRA, ASCAP, BMI, HFA, SESAC, NMPA, RIGHTSFLOW, PBS.

Total by SUISA payed compensation yearly $148 million USD. Tarif per song and minute and second vary from $6.45 per 3 minutes, down to $0.50 USD per song. Music in TV-Spots pays $1.05 per second and channel broadcasted.

• Members

... as well there a few other workarounds to get more money, for example since the German GEMA and the Swiss SUISA authors society work perfect, i.e. each single broadcast is in the bi-annual statements, a lot of British and American songwriter have their music administrated in Germany and Switzerland. You can save ip to 20%, respectively get 20% more royalties.

• Members

Well well...jango gave me 53 credits....on a possible score of a hundred...could be good, could be bad...anyway....now if i understand corectly these mean extra playings of a song...

O, and there are 39 people who liked the song on a total of about 3500...1% score....in marketing values...is this any good?

• Moderators

Well well...jango gave me 53 credits....on a possible score of a hundred...could be good, could be bad...anyway....now if i understand corectly these mean extra playings of a song...

O, and there are 39 people who liked the song on a total of about 3500...1% score....in marketing values...is this any good?

Pop Score is some secretive Jango measure of how well you targeted listeners for your song. The secret is that it's designed to encourage you to buy more spins. :)

From what I've read on the Internet blogs of more experienced Jango users a 2% like rate is about average and better than 3-4% is good. It's kinda hard to draw a conclusion about the song itself as your targeting is nearly as important. If you sound like Lady Gaga and pitch to 65 year old men, your results will likely suffer - for example.

As Jango is quick to point out, premium targeting increases likes and improves pop score, giving you some free spins. However, premium targeting also costs two "points" per spin vs one for normal targeting.

Terry D.

• Members

For the last 400 or so playing credits i changed the songs i wanted airplay for....good choice....song furry little animals is actually doing well....fans are pouring in..

Now Furry little animals is a rather (by Fervid standards) long song....it gives people the time to notice the song....all the other songs are over in 2 minutes or so

So my advice: choose a long song to promote the music.

• Members

Are the spins each used on one person as they listen online or are several people hearing the same "channel" at the same time?

My understanding is that when I listen to Pandora and enter, say, "Radiohead", that I'm the only one hearing that particular stream of Radiohead and similar bands. I understand that others may get the exact same playlist, but not starting when mine starts. Am I making sense?

In other words is one spin (of 4000) being heard by hundreds or thousands of people or just one person?

The good thing is they are not asking for any of the back end, so if the return (through sales/downloads) on your $100 is $200, then it's all yours and clearly worth it.

• Members

4000 plays gives me 57 people who clicked te "like /fan"button.

How all this is going to bring me any money i don,t know...

And i think 4000 plays means being played 4000 times.....it is said that at least 4000 wil have heard the songs...but to me it is all a bit vague..

• Moderators

4000 plays gives me 57 people who clicked te "like /fan"button.

How all this is going to bring me any money i don,t know...

Jango is not designed to sell your tunes, at least not directly, though that feature has been promised for the future.

Jango is designed to do two things: collect information for you (who likes your songs, where they live, what age they are, what gender, and what other bands they like) and to create fans for you who can be steered to your social and sales sites. You can even target thespecific group of people who are most likely to become your fans and play your music only for them. Once a person is your fan, you can email them information about your band, links to your songs for sale, merch, free giveaways, contests, concert dates, whatever you can think of. In fact, you can have direct links to iTunes, CDBaby, Amazon, Facebook, MySpace your website directly on the screen as your tunes are playing.

My band has two albums out with a mix of diverse styles. What I'd like to learn from Jango is which of our songs and styles are most popular with the fans, and who and where those fans are do I can direct market to them. Based on what we learn, we might choose to do more of a certain style of music, or even write songs in a different genre. It's amazing feedback you can't really get gigging, unless you gig internationally.

And i think 4000 plays means being played 4000 times.....it is said that at least 4000 wil have heard the songs...but to me it is all a bit vague..

First read the Jango FAQ section, and, if you still have questions, email your question or use the LIVE HELP button on the bottom right of the screen (during working hours) to ask a live person.

57 likes from 4,000 plays is 1.4% conversion; you can do better. To improve your hit rate look at the fan overlap data you have already and follow Jango's suggestion for changing you fan target, or come up with your own based on a combination of empirical data and common sense. If most of the listeners who liked your song also like Coldplay and you don't already have Coldplay checked, you should. The common sense comes in if your band is Celtic folk music and sounds nothing like Coldplay, you should look farther down the list of fan overlap to pick more targets.

I've already given you my secret (which cost me a whole lot of plays to figure out) which is that people listening at work aren't paying attention, so you'll waste a lot of spins on them if you choose that time period.

And finally, once you have about 1,000 plays on a song you can take Jango's advice and target subsequent plays directly at under 18 teenage boys in the UK or whatever group seems to like you.

Terry D.

• Members

For the last 400 or so playing credits i changed the songs i wanted airplay for....good choice....song furry little animals is actually doing well....fans are pouring in..

Now Furry little animals is a rather (by Fervid standards) long song....it gives people the time to notice the song....all the other songs are over in 2 minutes or so

So my advice: choose a long song to promote the music.

Nice tune.

• Members

Thank you.Very nice to hear that!

But......

I,ve given up on massive sales...i gave cdbaby permission to change the distribution level of the cd to "all that pays" wich means that is now available on Spotify and such..(as are the older cd's of the band). So now the album is free to hear for everyone....

And as i am now out of plays at Jango ( Although they gave me 80 credit beause of a high Popscore (!) ...but these credits were used up in a day) i have to evaluate if it brought me anything....i have permission to send 2 e-mails to those who became "Fan"

Should i lure them to Spotify? Or should i invest in another 4000 plays..

Questions,questions...

Archived