Bought 4000 plays at Jango.com

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

- It's organic plays that seem to be really interesting there, not paid ones. When I was a featured artist I got around 100 organic plays per day for around 5 days before it slipped off again... which tells you of the alleged 7m people signed up and receiving the weekly email, 500 clicked through to listen to the top featured artist that week...I personally think the two figures don't add up.

- I will use up the remaining 4,000 credits I have, then I won't return here I don't think...I don't think there's anything in it beyond paying to receiving an ego boost!

Good stuff... Of all of the people you have ever contacted through Jango have you ever heard back from anyone?

• Members

yeah its a little suspect. ive sent a few messages to people and got nothing. not even a piss off. do you know anybody else who had used Jango and have they ever had a response back from anyone?

i'm tempted to say email me back and I'll send you £10. but slightly worried about that at the same time

• Members

yeah its a little suspect. ive sent a few messages to people and got nothing. not even a piss off. do you know anybody else who had used Jango and have they ever had a response back from anyone?

I'm not sure people like receiving emails from complete strangers. Jango "Fans" are usually not actual fans - similar to how Facebook "Friends" are usually not actual friends.

Also, the first words on the site after "Jango" are "Free Music". These listeners are not people who came to spend...

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Joe the farmer pays me $150 per year that I drink his milk.

That's nice. Did you mess with his wife? Maybe he's pissing in it - or worse. :idk:

I'm making an Excel sheet to see if I can analyze all this data from Jango. Looks like the first thing I need to work on is getting Juile to link our facebook page to CD Baby and iTunes so we can see how all this attention to our Facebook translates (or doesn't) into the odd sale or three. :)

Terry D.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I am giving Jango a shot as well....however...even after a few days doubt creeps in......tuesday i had a 1000 jango plays.....i mean one thousand plays.!! That is silly.....a 1000 plays.............. but who's listening...well, actually there was this guy in Israel and some girl in kansas.

So a thousand plays....on a thousand internet stations??? i will keep you posted, but jango......not really sure...

• Moderators

I am giving Jango a shot as well....however...even after a few days doubt creeps in......tuesday i had a 1000 jango plays.....i mean one thousand plays.!! That is silly.....a 1000 plays.............. but who's listening...well, actually there was this guy in Israel and some girl in kansas.

So a thousand plays....on a thousand internet stations??? i will keep you posted, but jango......not really sure...

I'm deep into understanding how Jango works now, posting my findings here:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2910512-Any-of-you-folks-use-Jango-to-see-if-anyone-likes-your-tunes

It sounds from what you wrote that you have some misunderstandings about how Jango works.

First, Jango IS an internet radio station, much like Pandora. People get free accounts to listen to music they like (or may like, as picked by Jango) same as Pandora. The difference is, Pandora is very select on which indie music they will play, and do not charge the indie bands they choose to get played.

Second, you seem confused about what 1,000 listeners means. On a brick and mortar radio station or on a regular internet station, when a tune gets played there may be thousands of people listening (brick and mortar station) or a couple dozen (internet station). On Pandora or Jango, however, everyone has their own "station" so only one person is listening to that station and to your song per play.

So, 1,000 different people heard your tune (there are no repeats) and however many Jango reported to you pressed the LIKE button or the FAN button and/or looked at your profile.

If a person did none of the above it's very unlikely they'll hear ANY of your band's tunes again. Very important to understand that. So lead with your best!

Jango has about 8 million listeners around the world, but if you're shooting for, say, under 18 year old girls in Wyoming who like Lynryd Skynryd, you may find you run out of listeners pretty quickly. ;)

Terry D.

• Moderators

Terry my dear,

In case Jango also streams to Europe, then you get a royalty check from ASCAP of about $1200 for those 4000 streamings, per country, well-understood. There are 46 countries in Europe.

Well, that'd be good news if it was true, because Jango does stream to Europe. I have lots of listens in the UK and Ireland. I'm pretty stoked about my huge royalty check coming, thanks for letting me know! ;)

BTW, since I have you here, is there a different rate for internet radio of the sort that has lots of listeners at once vs the Pandora / Jango situation where one "play" means one listener at a time?

Terry D.

Archived