Help picking a tube preamp

• Members

I may have to try one out....They dont make them any more do they.

I like the 5150, 6505, classic 30,50,100, Bandit 112 (great practice and small gig amp).

Wolfgang, Grind

Some of their cabs, their PR speakers (light and good sounding), and the XR power amp/mixer series.

Just to name a few things.

• Members

I may have to try one out....They dont make them any more do they.

Sadly, no, they discontinued this a few years ago.

They make some good guitar and bass amps.

And I have a Peavey powered mixer, one of those big things, that has got to be bordering on 30 years old. I've had beer spilled on it, it's been cranked at gigs for long periods of time, and it still works great. Rock solid.

They also have made a synthesizer that they never released about ten or eleven years ago, I believe it was. It had a tube in it, and you could manipulate some of the parameters with a theremin-like interface (!). It sounded really cool. I saw it at NAMM one year, and then the next year, nothing...they said they discontinued working on it. :cry: This isn't internet lore since I actually saw it and played it...I really wish they had continued developing this. It seemed promising.

• Members

Ken, baby, you and I both need to get in the habit calling it the AMR VMP-2, 'cause that's what it is. Peavey never laid their grubby paws on the insides!

It's a great pre--I use it on everything but especially love it on direct bass, certain vocal mics, yeah. The tube EQ on it is a wonderful plus. They seem to hold to value of about 700 or so.

For a good while I had the Presonus ADL 600 on loan here and got to use it on a lot of things. It's a great, great tube mic pre IMO that defies a lot of the stereotypes of tube pres--it is a decidedly "hi-fi" affair, not a "browning box" in the least. I've seen them as low as $1,200 on the used market, which is way way worth it.

• Members

Ken, baby, you and I both need to get in the habit calling it the
AMR
VMP-2, 'cause that's what it is. Peavey never laid their grubby paws on the insides!

Yeah, you're right!

Now here's a question. I know it's AMR, but doesn't it say "Peavey" on the front as well? Is AMR a company that Peavey bought out, or was it their professional division?

It's a great pre--I use it on everything but especially love it on direct bass, certain vocal mics, yeah. The tube EQ on it is a wonderful plus. They seem to hold to value of about 700 or so.

I really like it, and have read interviews with big-name engineers who use it on drum overheads and guitars. The consensus seems to be that it's a very good mic preamp. Regardless, I certainly love the thing.

For a good while I had the Presonus ADL 600 on loan here and got to use it on a lot of things. It's a great, great tube mic pre IMO that defies a lot of the stereotypes of tube pres--it is a decidedly "hi-fi" affair, not a "browning box" in the least. I've seen them as low as $1,200 on the used market, which is way way worth it.

You know, that sounds like a good deal. If I ever look for another flava of mic preamp, I'll hafta keep this in mind.

You know what I'm lusting after right now is this soon-to-be-released Neve Fidelis:

0794nevepre.jpg

This is a Neve Fidelis mic preamp from RND, with an all-new transformer that engineer Craig Hutchinson (formerly of Manley Labs) described as the largest transformer yet, and quite different from the Neve Portico preamp. This four-preamp unit also has several flavors of Silk Control, one the same as the Portico, one more blatantly distorted, one with more bass response, and the other I don't remember. It also has high-quality A/D converters. It's shipping in April and is about US$4800, and is the first in a new line of products by Rupert Neve Designs.

• Members

Yeah, you're right!

Now here's a question. I know it's AMR, but doesn't it say "Peavey" on the front as well? Is AMR a company that Peavey bought out, or was it their professional division?

I don't know all the details, but I believe it was a short-lived partnership or acquisition, and the number of boxes AMR built for Peavey is small. The VMP-2, its companion tube EQ, a reverb, and (oddly) a whole bunch of large format consoles that are apparently pretty cool in that same way that everything is "apparently pretty cool" if you've never actually tried it ;)

I don't know the details about the AMR line, and whether it was a division of Peavey or if it was a partnership, or if it was acquired by Peavey... :idk: I used to work on a large format AMR quite a bit - I don't recall the model number, but it was a 32 channel, 16 bus, "split" format board, and I have generally positive memories of it. I definitely would rather have one of those than say, a TAC Scorpion..

Archived