What's your usual go to mic and pre for male rock vocals?

• Members

I assume a lot of you slutz would mention the Shure SM7b, well I have one. As far as preamps, I have an Avalon M5 (don't like it much on my voice or rock vocals), an API A2D with 312 pre's, and I recently picked up a Vintech X73. I only do tracking here in my home studio. I take it other places for mixing and mastering. So just looking for opinions

• Members

The first vocal mic I usually try these days is a Microtech-Gefell MT-71S. Large-diaphragm condensor, sounds great on a variety of sources. Silky smooth top end and a full-bodied lower range.

The SM7b is also high on my list. Great for more aggressive singers.

I have a Rode NTK that gets some use, too, when I want a more hyped high end and a little less body in the low end.

• Members

My go-to mic for vocals is a Lawson L251 microphone, as the name implies, somewhat of a replica of the Telefunken ELAM 251.

If I want a little less top end, a nice smooth choice is my modified AT4060 (I believe you also have an AT4060).

I also have a Heil PR-30 and a 421 which I've used upon occasion for male rock vocals. Really depends on the song and the vibe you want to get across.

And of course, there's always the SM 57. You may snicker, but in the right song with the right vocalist, the 57 can be a beautiful thing.

I don't own an SM7b but like it. If I want smooth, I use the AT4060 or the Heil since I don't own an SM7b.

• Members

Gee, I didn't address the preamp question at all, did I? It really depends on the choice of mic and singer. I usually love the combination of the Gefell mic and a Great River 500-series preamp, or the Groove Tubes SuPre. But I have one singer who just sounds fantastic with the Gefell run through an FMR RNP and a Toft AFC-2 EQ (with just a touch of treble added - not much).

The SM-7b sounds great through the Great River, and it also sounds very good with some singers when run through an API 512c. It works very well through the FMR preamp with some singers. I actually haven't tried it through the SuPre yet, but I know that the Groove Tubes "The Brick" preamp I have doesn't seem to have quite enough gain for quieter singers with the SM-7b.

The Rode NTK is usually used in conjunction with the Great River or SuPre - it's a pretty harsh mic sometimes, and IMO often needs to be run through a preamp that will help tame some of the harshness. But every once in a while it just plain sounds good with a particular singer.

• Members

I didn't even see the thing in the header about mic preamps.

For male rock vocals, I'd begin with the Neve Portico in Silk Mode. I can also use the FMR RNP or the Peavey VMP-2 if need be, and all of them will do a good job, but I like the Silk Mode on the Neve for rock vocals.

• Members

My go-to mic for vocals is a Lawson L251 microphone, as the name implies, somewhat of a replica of the Telefunken ELAM 251.

If I want a little less top end, a nice smooth choice is my modified AT4060 (I believe you also have an AT4060).

I also have a Heil PR-30 and a 421 which I've used upon occasion for male rock vocals. Really depends on the song and the vibe you want to get across.

And of course, there's always the SM 57. You may snicker, but in the right song with the right vocalist, the 57 can be a beautiful thing.

I don't own an SM7b but like it. If I want smooth, I use the AT4060 or the Heil since I don't own an SM7b.

Thanks for the info! Yes I do have an AT4060. Where did you get yours modded? What did they actually do to improve? And how much did it cost?

• Members

I don't know specifics, unfortunately. I know this seems like an absurd statement to make on a recording engineering forum, but I'm not very technically minded as far as innards in the gear goes. The guy who did it, Lee Quintana, modded the tube (I don't know what the new tube is, though), capacitors, and, in his words, "juiced it" a little higher. I don't know how to describe how the sound changed except that it sounds "better" and has a little more beef, but that the general character of the mic is still quite smooth. I think it simply sounds a little larger.

While writing this post, I just realized that i think I lost the original tube in the garage fire we had in 2006. I can't remember everything, so I don't think I declared this with the insurance company. Oh well.

• Members

On my last CD I did 99% of the vocals through sm7b --> Great River --> RNLA

....but over the past year, I have become really fond of sm7b --> UA-LA610

That sounds great. I have the SM7b and a RNLA. Don't have a Great River, but my API 312's or my Vintech X73 will hopefully sound sweet. Thanks everyone who replied

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a 421 but have never tried it on vocals. However I have been curious as to how it would sound.

Just like any other mic, some voices sound good, others not so much. And it obviously depends on the genre of music too. But after all, 421s are very commonly used for voice in broadcasting, and are an excellent all-purpose mic in general, so you'll be able to find applications with vocals quite easily. The last time I used it, it was for a rough sort of rock voice (think Paul Westerberg), and it came out very well.

• Moderators

I assume a lot of you slutz would mention the Shure SM7b, well I have one. As far as preamps, I have an Avalon M5 (don't like it much on my voice or rock vocals), an API A2D with 312 pre's, and I recently picked up a Vintech X73. I only do tracking here in my home studio. I take it other places for mixing and mastering. So just looking for opinions

Mic - Neumann U67 Tube

Mic Pre - Neve 1073

Of the pres you have, I haven't used the Vintech but if its at all close to the 1073 you can't lose. I'm really NOT a big fan of the SM7 though, I must admit. For male "rock" vocals its way too "mushy" sounding to my ears. If you're stuck with the SM7 a moderate amound of some good compression would help a lot.

• Members

I've really been digging the Chameleon Labs mic pre into the ART ProVLA, into Lucid A/D...and I have some "better" preamps around. THerre's something about that 7602 that is cool

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but...

Master Witesol:

I am interested in your opionion of the ART ProVLA.

I have been purchasing equipment for my still-to-be-hooked-up home studio for some time now. I grabbed a good price on the ProVLA on ebay; picked it up based on comments I've read in a couple of places as to how some pro-type studios use it, but may not acknowledge it; supposedly has its own decent character, so to speak.

Do you use it in any specific way? Any particular settings you may have found solid would be helpful. I'm jumping into the thick of it very soon (basically, when I get the time to figure out how to wire up all this gear I nailed over the past few years). I've been living here on HC soaking up the generous tips most of the crew throw out and discuss.

Two of the primary mics I've picked up are the Shure KSM44 and the CAD 8000 Trion tube mic, as well as several others.

Thanks for anything you can provide.

• Members
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but...

Master Witesol:

I am interested in your opionion of the ART ProVLA.

Do you use it in any specific way? QUOTE]

I rather like the provla, and would love another. it's easy to get sounding good, good for vocals, i've used it on drum OH, kick, snare. it's not the fet style quick 1176 type thing. but for subtle compression and limiting, it works well.

• Members

Mic - Neumann U67 Tube

Mic Pre - Neve 1073

Of the pres you have, I haven't used the Vintech but if its at all close to the 1073 you can't lose. I'm really NOT a big fan of the SM7 though, I must admit. For male "rock" vocals its way too "mushy" sounding to my ears. If you're stuck with the SM7 a moderate amound of some good compression would help a lot.

My Vintech definitely sounds like a 1073. I was very pleased- still am. You aren't a fan of the Shure SM7b for rock vocals? That is rare. Almost everyone I know and have talked to think it's the holy grail for rock vocals.

I also have an SM57, Rode NTK, and an AT4060. I'm testing all the mics through my various preamps. I sure hope the SM7b sounds good on my voice. To me, the NTK is a bit hyped in the highs, but has gotten me some great vocal sounds for the right singer.

How much compression do you recommend for tracking vocals? I have an FMR RNLA. I'm still trying to get used to the unit. I'm not the most knowledgeable engineer when it comes to compression and EQ. I only have my MBOX 2 for my D/A so who knows what things will sound like until I get a good D/A. :facepalm:

• Members

To me, the NTK is a bit hyped in the highs, but has gotten me some great vocal sounds for the right singer.

And that's what it's all about. Finding the right singer for the mic. Um, er, or the other way around... :D

How much compression do you recommend for tracking vocals? I have an FMR RNLA.

The short answer, which this will have to be, because I'm about to record, is however much it needs. As with EQ, you have to listen, listen, listen...

• Members

And that's what it's all about. Finding the right singer for the mic. Um, er, or the other way around...
:D

The short answer, which this will have to be, because I'm about to record, is however much it needs. As with EQ, you have to listen, listen, listen...

I figured I'd get an answer similar to that. For me, it's just really tough to tweak my gear. Cause I record alone unfortunately and I can't watch the knobs on my RNLA and sing at the same time. Only a few of my friends are engineers and the ones that are- are loaded with work. I wonder if I should not track with the RNLA and just use plugins until I send the stuff out for mixing and mastering.

• Members

I figured I'd get an answer similar to that. For me, it's just really tough to tweak my gear. Cause I record alone unfortunately and I can't watch the knobs on my RNLA and sing at the same time. Only a few of my friends are engineers and the ones that are- are loaded with work. I wonder if I should not track with the RNLA and just use plugins until I send the stuff out for mixing and mastering.

Back again...radio show is mixing down!!

Anyway, bring the mic into the room so that you can visually see the RNLA while singing so that, at the very least, you can get a general setting. Or grab a friend and ask them to tell you how much compression there is when you are singing.

Consider setting up some things so that you can tweak easily (ergonomics).

Failing that, try and keep your vocals level and go without a compressor, and iether bring the RNLA in via your A/D and D/A converters and tweak then, or if you don't want to do this or have really lousy converters, use a plugin.

• Members

Replacing the singer is cheaper :poke:

Hey jerkoff I'm the singer! I'm not replacing {censored}. hahaha. Just playin.

Good advice Ustad! Should I even bother compressing on the way in if all I have is an RNLA? The rest of my signal chain is very strong so I'm wondering if the RNLA will do my other gear the justice. I do have {censored}ty D/A converters- (MBOX 2). But great A/D from my API A2D. I have some pretty solid plugins I can use for my vocals too. RVOX, R-Comp- R everything lol, the SSL plugs, API plugs, Mcdsp plugs, L2, blah blah. What do you recommend?

• Members

Hey jerkoff I'm the singer! I'm not replacing {censored}. hahaha. Just playin.

Good advice Ustad! Should I even bother compressing on the way in if all I have is an RNLA? The rest of my signal chain is very strong so I'm wondering if the RNLA will do my other gear the justice. I do have {censored}ty D/A converters- (MBOX 2). But great A/D from my API A2D. I have some pretty solid plugins I can use for my vocals too. RVOX, R-Comp- R everything lol, the SSL plugs, API plugs, Mcdsp plugs, L2, blah blah. What do you recommend?

I used the RNLA on the way in when tracking most of the vocals for my last CD and was quite happy with the results. YMMV.

Just try it.

Experiment.

:thu:

Archived