can i spray nitro clear lacquer over red acrylic lacquer?

leftyjay

• Members

i am definately going the cheap route as far as paint cost. i paid $75 for an early 90s mim strat. the body looked like someone drug it behind their car, but the neck is great.

i used a heat gun to strip the old paint. need i say, it worked like a charm. took about an hour to strip it. found out is was not plywood. looks like 3 piece alder.

this is my experiment in painting. i just dont want to botch it up on something stupid as non-compatible paint and clear.

i've already used sanding sealer on the body (4 coats) and sanded it. then put 2 coats of duplicolor filler primer on it. i sanded between each coat. the body is in perfect condition to be painted. not one blotch or bump. i took my time doing the prepping.

i want to spray some duplicolor red acrylic lacquer. i also have a couple cans of deft clear gloss nitro lacquer. i want to know if nitro can be sprayed over the acrylic lacquer?

is there a difference in the 2 lacquers?

• Members

Good timing. I just finished final coats of metallic red duplicolor and am starting with the first misting of clear ( Mohawk aerosol nitro). Yes, you shouldn't have any problems. Let the acrylic dry for a few days. I'm assuming you're using a metallic? The first coats of clear should be misted on so that it dries the second it hits the surface. You dont' want to start with heavy clear coats or it will lay down the metal flakes. Gradually build up the thickness.

Mines a lefty too.

• Members

actually i'm using Cardinal Red duplicolor. i havent sprayed any color yet. the body is just primed and wet sanded.

i read where it wasnt compatible (nitro lacquer over acrylic lacquer)

" The next finish used on guitars was acrylic lacquer. Acrylic lacquer and nitrocellulose are only compatible one way: You can put acrylic lacquer over nitro, but you can't put nitro over acrylic; it will instantly check, wrinkle, and do all kinds of ugly things."

where i got the quote.... http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Guitar_Finishes.html

i figured i'd ask here first before i try it on a piece of scrap wood first.

• Members

Originally posted by leftyjay

actually i'm using Cardinal Red duplicolor. i havent sprayed any color yet. the body is just primed and wet sanded.

i read where it wasnt compatible (nitro lacquer over acrylic lacquer)

" The next finish used on guitars was acrylic lacquer. Acrylic lacquer and nitrocellulose are only compatible one way: You can put acrylic lacquer over nitro, but you can't put nitro over acrylic; it will instantly check, wrinkle, and do all kinds of ugly things."

where i got the quote....

i figured i'd ask here first before i try it on a piece of scrap wood first.

I used Duplicolor topped with nitro on my first paint job. There were no compatibility problems. Check out the reranch board. I've seen some duplicolor projects posted there too.

• Members

i did a quick test sample today. seems to be ok. though when i shot the clear, it looked very cloudy. but when it dried, it cleared up.

it is very humid today. i wont shoot the guitar till the weather changes. too hot and humid right now.

• Members

Are you sure it is acrylic laquer and not laquer with acrylic in it? Most of the pure acrylics I've worked with are 2 part and you use a spray gun, not a can. Most of the spray can stuff is modern NC laquer which is NC with other resins, including acrylic many times, which tend to keep it from yellowing and shrinking.

If its true acrylic the NC won't take to it at all, it will be immediately obvious. Otherwise, yeah, it will probably do fine, especially if the undercoat isn't very old so the overcoat can bite in good.

• Members

Well, you learn something every day. As is often the case with spray-can products, they really don't tell you much about the actual formulation.

I would say this: first, try it on scrap before you commit. second, let the color dry 5 days before you attempt the NC. They recommnd that in their FAQ.

I don't have any experience with that, so I'm not sure. The automotive stuff I've used wasn't spraycan.

Is there a reason not to use their clearcoat instead of NC laquer? That would be the safest route.

• Members

i thought about using the duplicolor clear coat. its basicly the same price as the Deft clear lacquer.

i had a few new cans of Deft left over from previous neck refinishings. i wanted to use it before buying some more clear.

i was very happy with my results with the Deft gloss lacquer. the last neck i did looks like a professional did it. it came out perfect with no sign of an amature doing the work. main thing was to wait 2-3 weeks before sanding and polishing.

just wanted to use what worked before.

Archived