Is it easy to replace the stock pickup in a Fernandes sustainer guitar?

The Tone Snob

• Members

Yes, swapping the bridge pickup on a Sustainer guitar is the same as a regular guitar. It won't interfere with the Sustainer, and no special wiring required. I've done it twice. However, installing a Sustainer system in a guitar that doesn't already have one is a major job. Better to buy an already-equipped Sustainer guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by Karma1

Yes, swapping the bridge pickup on a Sustainer guitar is the same as a regular guitar. It won't interfere with the Sustainer, and no special wiring required. I've done it twice. However, installing a Sustainer system in a guitar that doesn't already have one is a major job. Better to buy an already-equipped Sustainer guitar.

Cool, which models do you have, and what pickups did you swap in? :confused:

:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by SAWTOOTHGRINX

Which model Fernandes are you looking into?

Don't really care, as long as it's got the sustainer in an H-H config, and has a trem (preferably a floyd). Although there is a weird, older one on Music Go Round that has kinda piqued my interest.

• Members

Cool, which models do you have, and what pickups did you swap in?

My first Sustainer equipped guitar (which I incidentally just happened to trade yesterday at the California Guitar Show for a mid 70's Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul Custom copy) was a Fernandez Revolver Pro. It's a super Strat-style guitar with Floyd Rose type trem. The first bridge pickup I put in there was a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom. After a while, I wanted to use that pickup in another guitar, so I put in a Gibson 490R out of a Les Paul, which sounded really good in there.

The reason I let go of that guitar is because I recently finished working on another guitar that fullfills that function. It's a PRS Santana SE that I've totally tricked out with a Sustainiac pickup in the neck, the Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge, 3-way switching, Roland GK2A guitar synth pickup, and locking tuners. The guitar is amazing and the combination of the Sustainiac and the guitar synth (GR33) is perfect for the kind of ambient electronic music I use it for. I like the Sustainaic Stealth Plus pickup system a little better than the Fernandez, but they are both great. Installing the Sustainiac, or a Fernandez from scratch is a very big job. I have a friend who is an electronics engineer who has installed a Sustainiac in his own guitar, so he has experience, and it took him around 8 hours worth of work. But, as I said, just installing another bridge pickup is like any other guitar.

Archived