Is there a good tube compressor for about 1k?

Chris is correct - except for things like vari-mu designs, the tube in a "tube" compressor is normally used for make up gain, and not the actual compression.

Got a five hundred dollar budget and want a couple of kick butt compressors? Forget about "tubes" and go get a FMR RNC and RNLA. You'll then have two stereo (or single channel mono) compressors; one that's nice and transparent, and one that can add a bit of musical "color" to your sound.

If you want to drop a grand on a single channel, then maybe look for a deal on a used Distressor. No, it's not tube, but you can add color with it if you want. Want a good "tube" compressor for around a grand? Then keep your eyes open for a used LA2A, and pray for a miracle price. :D

A vari-mu type compressor on your budget is probably not going to happen - sorry.

• Members

Chris is correct - except for things like vari-mu designs, the tube in a "tube" compressor is normally used for make up gain, and not the actual compression.

Got a five hundred dollar budget and want a couple of kick butt compressors? Forget about "tubes" and go get a FMR RNC and RNLA. You'll then have two stereo (or single channel mono) compressors; one that's nice and transparent, and one that can add a bit of musical "color" to your sound.

If you want to drop a grand on a single channel, then maybe look for a deal on a used Distressor. No, it's not tube, but you can add color with it if you want. Want a good "tube" compressor for around a grand? Then keep your eyes open for a used LA2A, and pray for a miracle price.
:D

A vari-mu type compressor on your budget is probably not going to happen - sorry.

Wow thanks for the quality reply Phil! I heard the RNC's sound a little thin. Any truth behind that? I will look around and see what the LA2A comps are going for and see if I can find a miracle way to swing one. Could you by any chance explain exactly what a vari-mu design is? Thanks Phil.

• Members

Wow thanks for the quality reply Phil! I heard the RNC's sound a little thin. Any truth behind that? I will look around and see what the LA2A comps are going for and see if I can find a miracle way to swing one. Could you by any chance explain exactly what a vari-mu design is? Thanks Phil.

You can always count on quality answers from Phil.

Personally, I don't think that the RNCs sound a little thin. They don't thicken anything either, though. In fact, particularly in Super Nice Mode, they don't sound like they're working!!! But they are.

But I think for what you are looking for, an RNLA (which I have and really like) or this new FMR PBC-6A (which I don't have) might be more what you're looking for.

I know that there is a TL Audio compressor, but I have no idea what it sounds like or what the quality is. It's $800.

The aforementioned Peavey compressor, which you can only get used now, has gotten good reviews, but I have never heard it. I really like the Peavey VMP-2 tube mic preamp, though, which I believe was made around the same time.

I'm glad that someone addressed the issue of tubes here because that's essentially what I was getting at with my first question...that and there's other ways to put a little girth or "hair" on your audio.

• Members

I'll second what Ken said about the RNC... it's not thin sounding at all, but if you're looking for obvious
thickening
and coloration, the RNLA (which I use regularly with my Brick) or the PBC-6A (which I have not heard yet) may be a better choice.

I'm really curious about that PBC-6A. Anything Mark at FMR puts out, I'm always immediately interested in.

I don't need another compressor right now, and if I did get one, I'd probably consider something like a Distressor, or who knows, maybe even that Peavey since everything else that I would want would be considerably more expensive (like this :D ). But I don't need anything now.

• Members

I see what you guys are saying. Does guitar center carry the RNC etc? I'd like to go play with some of them and see how they sound. I also have never heard or used the TL audio compressor. Kurt from Godcity studio's had recomended I check out the Chameleon labs stuff.

I am trying to get better sounding vocal recordings right now. Thats my main reason behind looking for a new compressor (or a compressor in general aside from my plug ins). I was trying to record someone with a voice similar to Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters, and I just was not getting the results I wanted. I got good results, but it felt like something was missing. I was using a borrowed sm7b (first time using it... I WANT ONE!!) to the brick into my FW1884 with nuendo. I know I am not the best engineer, and not familiar with the mic I was using and I have plenty of room to grow with that alone. I also need some help recording screams for the metal bands I record, but thats a whole other thread.

I wouldn't mind having a couple of Distressors, or Altec 436C's, or even a Fairchild 670, if I could find one at a divine intervention price, and it included a huge box of spare replacement tubes... if you're going to dream, why not dream big? :D

I have not heard FMR's new baby yet, but I'm looking forward to checking it out. Mark's the real deal, and based on his previous designs, I suspect it's a cool unit.

I hope he decides to work on a FMR RNEQ next...

• Members

I see you guys really respect the FMR stuff. It's cheap enough so I think I am just going to order one before ever hearing it. Now I need to decide which one I want to order. I would still like to source a higher end comp too but maybe it can wait if the FMR stuff works out.

I'd like to own a fairchild 670 too. Might as well throw a vintage U87 and some massive neve board into that dream mix too haha.

• Members

not oft talked about but the ART pro Vla is a really good tube compressor. Normally, i dont care for ART products but I like that box. right around $200 used. something else rarely spoken of i

are the Aphex units like the 661. very transparent if you want it

• Members

You would be hard pressed to find better compressors at anywhere near the prices that FMR charges. If you're only going to get one for now, I'd recommend trying the RNLA first, since it sounds like a bit of coloration is what you're after - but they're both great units.

I have both the RNC and the RNLA, and for what the OP is asking for, I'd also recommend the RNLA.

I record basses through the RNLA. Beautiful for that. And vocals. Very nice.

• Members

not oft talked about but the ART pro Vla is a really good tube compressor. Normally, i dont care for ART products but I like that box. right around $200 used. something else rarely spoken of i

are the Aphex units like the 661. very transparent if you want it

I don't know those at all. I've been sorta mistrustful of ART because they've made some really foul stuff, but I keep hearing that some people like a few of their things, so it'd be worth a look, especially at the prices they go for.

I did have an Aphex 651 for a while (the one without the tube), and I got pretty good mileage out of that, but I really like the RNC and RNLA much better and ended up selling the Aphex. I realize it's not the same thing as the 651, which came afterwards. But wasn't the 661 more transparent than "tubey" sounding (don'tcha just love trying to describe sound? :D )?

• Members

I'll chime in on a couple of the compressors mentioned.

First the FMR RNC. You should be aware that there is a known issue when using the RNC and the GT Brick. Without getting complicated, it has to do with the VCA used in the RNC and on fast attack times it can trigger off the harmonic distortion from the tube. The result can sound essentially like unwanted distortion if using fast attack times. Also, you should be aware that the RNC is an unbalanced device. This may or may not be an issue for you. That said, the Brick sometimes does not 'play nice' with unbalanced gear.

Second, the ART PRO VLA. Yes, ART has made mostly lame products. But the ART PRO VLA is an absolutely AMAZING compressor for crazy little money that you will find in a ton of nice rigs. I have one and I use it all the time for vocals (and bass, where it also excells). Incedntally, I use mine paired with my Brick when tracking. Most of the songs on my myspace page have the VLA on vocals if you want to hear it.

• Members

Does anyone know anything about a Rolls Bellari tube compressor? I saw a used one in a local music store a couple days ago. I've seen other Rolls stuff before , but not one of these. It's a 2 ru space rack mount, looks well made, stereo, dual vu's, looks vintage. Any help?

Archived