94 prs custom 24 ??

teleman

• Members

I've just started looking at PRS guitars and I have ran across what is suppossed to be a 1994 custom 24 but it doesn't have the birds like all the other ones I've seen.

Does that year and no birds mean it's not a custom ?

Thanks for the help guys

• Members

Yeah, I'd say $1400 is good price on it. Especially when you consider that it's a '94, which means that the 'Vintage PRS Elitist Mafia' who think that everything pre '95 is the holy grail, can't complain about it being made after the decline of western civilization. :thu:

• Members

There is a shop around here that has a PRS I think it's a 92 or 93. 24 frets. Dots no birds. Saddle trem with no bar. It's a deep blue metallic color. It's been around the block and has a few nicks here and there a couple that even go down to the wood. Doesn't have the original tuners, has the self trimming heads installed. They want $580 for it. Based on the weak description what do you think it may be worth? Also I was wondering if I wrote down the serial number if I would be able to tell what year it was made.

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

Yeah, I'd say $1400 is good price on it. Especially when you consider that it's a '94, which means that the 'Vintage PRS Elitist Mafia' who think that everything pre '95 is the holy grail, can't complain about it being made after the decline of western civilization.
:thu:

94's have the small heels right?

why is pre-95 better?

how's your guitar project going?

• Members

Originally posted by Snare227

There is a shop around here that has a PRS I think it's a 92 or 93. 24 frets. Dots no birds. Saddle trem with no bar. It's a deep blue metallic color. It's been around the block and has a few nicks here and there a couple that even go down to the wood. Doesn't have the original tuners, has the self trimming heads installed. They want $580 for it. Based on the weak description what do you think it may be worth? Also I was wondering if I wrote down the serial number if I would be able to tell what year it was made.

$580!!! Buy it now, right now.

It's probably a CE24 and even in beat up condition they usually sell for $800 or $900.

I'd take it myself if I didn't just buy another guitar a few weeks ago.

• Members

Originally posted by hondro

why is pre-95 better?

The heel thing is ridiculous. My PRS is a 2000 model and the heel is fine. It has better upper fret access than any Les Paul.

95 is the year they moved into their current factory and started using CNC's. All that did was make the guitars more consistent and improved the quality. The purist types think that took away the mojo.

Hogwash.

• Members

Originally posted by hondro

why is pre-95 better?

how's your guitar project going?

Yes, '94s have the small heel, though that effects the 22 fret models moreso than the 24.

Pre-95 is better because Ed Roman says so. ;) Actually, '95 is when PRS moved from the small factory to the big factory, made the heels bigger and changed the CE models from alder/maple over to mahogany/maple.

My project is kind of at a halt right now. The bulk of the woodwork is done. I just need to do the fret level and dressing, and the finish. I'm hoping to get the finish started in the next week or two, but I haven't had time to work on it much the last couple of weeks. I haven't even ordered the finish supplies yet.

• Members

I sold my '94 Custom 24 for $2300. It had birds and a quilted (non-"10") top, which was an upgrade at the time. But it was in extremely good condition, one owner with all hang tags, original receipt, price list, and a catalog, etc.

In comparison, $1400 sound like a steal.

edit: Sorry - I recall now that it was a '91. That might make a difference.

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

$580!!! Buy it now, right now.

It's probably a CE24 and even in beat up condition they usually sell for $800 or $900.

I'd take it myself if I didn't just buy another guitar a few weeks ago.

I got my BlackCherry CE-24 for $599 serial number reveals 1993 pre factory so supposedly mo'mojo:rolleyes: .....atleast put some money down on it. Really quick tho:thu:

Archived