Fender Blues Deville using "preamp out" to DI

• Members

I was just messing with Di'ing my Blues deville reissue via the "preamp out" jack.

Lots of noise...I'm assuming this is a mic/line signal coming out of the preamp out jack on the amp, right?

anyhow...tons of noise, scratchy, and definite clicking-ish sound on a consistant interval. I'm all on the same circuit with my equipment etc.

Not sure why this is so dirty..just doing a litte test to see how it sounds compared to regular di straight from the guitar...it sounds much better with the fender reverb in the line but it's freakin noisy.

Is there any way to do this cleanly or, bigger question, is there something wrong with my amp?

• Members

The amp's cool, that's just the result of a standard circuit layout HV three tube preamp

The preamp out is buffered and bypassed so electrically it's fine, just a noisy ass design

If you're up to it you can post a short recording of this sound so we have a better idea of what it actually is. Easier to interpret whether it's just standard noise induced by cascaded gain stages and poor design or whether there may actually be some kind of problem. It is possible though because under normal operation the opamp doing the buffering isn't used so you wouldn't know if it was buggered

• Members

I've got a strat with active pickups and heavy strings and for some reason the damn thing sounds good when recorded di'd into my hiZ in. It cuts through the mix nicely and has a tone that i really like.

I decided to mess with this on my amp because i could bring along the Fender reverb with the signal.

Through all this crappy noise, I can hear that it sounds like I expected...sounds pretty good with the reverb. I'd love to get this working so I can confirm it...been bouncing this around in my head and I can't understand what it is..the guitar sounds clean but there's this other layer of noise that has nothing to do with the guitar.

Maybe I'm an idiot but others have commented on this guitar tone and when I tell them it's di'd with no effect they are surprised.

Archived