"The internet is completely over" - Prince

• Members
"You guys keep talking about "old" and "new". New is always a temporary thing, part of its power is in its "newness". It gets old, and eventually will get recycled" - Grub

"Change is related to growth. If you do not change, you do not see, hear, feel, know or go toward anything more than what you are now. In order to gain, in any way, you must change what "is" now"

John :)

• Members

I did not know that Prince was in a religious cult (Jehovah's Witless, err, Witness.) One of the comments after the story mentioned that the JW's do not like the Internet and encourage members to avoid it. I guess if you run a religious cult, information can be extremely dangerous.

I take back what I said. It's not a ploy. I think that he has always been messed up in the head. So what's worse - having an ego bigger than Earth, or joining a religious cult? Please don't make me choose.

Prince has gotten a lot of flack for saying that, but I agree...somewhat. What the man is trying to say is that people are relying too heavily on the Internet for all forms of marketing and distribution. I also feel musicians and label owners could be more creative about how they put their material out there.

I think it's cool he gave away his cd with the newspapers. He knows it'll find its way online anyway so why not give it away with a newspaper and make it relevant front page content.

• Members

If that's his message, I think he derailed himself and sort of fell victim to it too.

So maybe the internet has problems like a {censored} signal to noise ratio so people try gimmicks to get "buzz". Like...making making outlandish and extreme comments like the internet being completely over.

he talks about digital gadgets pumping numbers at people -- so he releases an album on a digital format AND names the thing with numbers. Then he attaches it to a medium that is mostly digital. Newspapers can be a lot more digital than music...it's a bunch of individual tokens like letters, characters and words that we READ as individual tokens.

Playing the shock-rant card runs him into the same problem that a lot of the "new biz model" stuff does. It makes buzz alright - but about the comments and predictions all by themselves and how weird he's getting

it kind of takes away from the stuff the comments are about or listening to the new album or any of that stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I'm not nearly as optimistic .. I think teens are too vein to not embrace the very latest in technologies as they emerge- it's how they psychologically paint their parents as "old school" and surpass them on "cool"..

First, I have to rag on you - how do you misspell "vain" but spell "psychologically" correctly? :lol:

But I AGREE 100% with what you said. Well put. It's an EASY way for them to do it, too, because there are a whole lot of adults that absolutely suck at using a computer.

• Members

Add this to your deliberations...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/09/opinion/09brooks.html

I find the internet useful for facts, not content. I hate reading on a screen and I work in IT, which is a bit strange I guess. I love a good book and always have one with me. I do not see computers and electronic devices as GOOD things, the are simply things. We all need to use them as tools but we need to be careful less they take over too much space in our lives. I fear we are turning the internet and all that it connected to it, into a religion. I hope I'm wrong.

• Members

Theres no denying that Prince is an unbelievable artist. Or at least he used to be. However, the Internet is increasingly becoming a basic requirement of modern life, just like electricity and flowing water, and we havent seen anything yet as the Internet as we know it is still in its infancy.

Or maybe Prince should get a Facebook account. He clearly hasnt tried Farmville yet. :facepalm::lol:

• Moderators
You might want to check out the link below.

Apparently he would not be able make that claim anymore than he could claim the one that has been attributed to him, which he didn't. This is getting so confusing....

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Actually, Des, I was joking...we all know Al Gore couldn't even invent (or Re-invent) Al Gore... ;)

• Members

Al gore actually had a pretty big role in making the internet so important though.

I can use it to D/L pictures of Tipper.

Oh Tipper
I'm not touching myself while I look at you
no! no touching myself
that would be bad...and dirty
so, so wrong
not...touching...no touching
TIPPER!!!

• Members

I'm not nearly as optimistic .. I think teens are too vein to not embrace the very latest in technologies as they emerge- it's how they psychologically paint their parents as "old school" and surpass them on "cool"..

Methinks you are quite correct. Further, I tend to think it's the technology that has supplanted music for the youth of today. Used to a be a badge of honor to like (or hate) this band or that band. Now it's a badge of honor to have this gadget or that gadget. The music is still there, but it's just so much background noise now and certainly not very high on the totem pole of cool.

As a matter of fact, one of the primary ways kids find new music nowadays is through adverts...selling...you guessed it...gadgets.

Archived