Free Mastering Limited Offer

• Members

Hay im an engineer now of 4 years with multiple experiences in mixing and mastering. Im considering writing my disertation on Mastering and its evolution over time, if anyone would like their pre-master's mastering to commercial volumes upload them in .Wav format in their original bit depth. I will see too them shortly and as fast as time allows. This is just to reiterate my skills in mastering and help curve them. Please include a popular reference track that you want the same volume of in ur replys.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

as for style doesnt mater, sendspace.com is brillient for sending files. And i use Yamaha HS80's along side Audio Technica M40fs. This is purly to help craft the skills ive learnt recently and to challenge myself. Make sure ur reference are relivent too the mix you've made, for instance you wouldnt want a Pink FLoyd track to have the volume or dyanmics of a Metallica track.

• Members

Neither of which are suitable for the task of Mastering..............

And by the way - simply raising levels of a mix is
NOT
Mastering.

Your the kinda guy who goes on about needing speakers that go up to 30khz in range and protest that only you can do mastering and no one else should attempt, where all your sentances start with "I Can do..". Your also the reason its hard to learn the engineering trade and as such shouldnt post on this forum. Further more i intend to look at the source material and reference very closly and soo how best to make the product match or surpass its reference, volume isnt everything but it helps to know how to achieve it.

• Members

I'm not sure you would be interested in this, but I record my band practices just using the built in mics on a boss BR600. Then I suck the files into Reaper and EQ/master them with fair results given the low quality initial recording.

Would you be willing to give a listen to the raw .wav file before my eqing and mastering then sprinkle some of your magic dust on it? If so let me know and I'll send you a file.

• Members

I'll bite. Would you be interested in mastering an alternative rock tune just for the purpose of your dissertation? I'm mixing a band's 6 song EP and one tune is ready to go mix-wise but the rest probably won't be done in time for your paper's due date... I could be wrong though. I think you could have some fun shaping this one to the reference master.

• Members

Yes too everyone. Im currently studying dissertation prep so their is plenty of time for me to develop my ideas. Please PM file links or requests or i can supply my e-mail if preferred, otherwise use sendspace.com to upload your raw un-compressed/EQ'ed .Wav/Aiff's. I will reply shortly and GuitarPlayer888 was your rehearsal recorded with a stereo built in microphone? either way send it. Many thanks for keeping this topic alive all are welcome.

• Members

Yes too everyone. Im currently studying dissertation prep so their is plenty of time for me to develop my ideas. Please PM file links or requests or i can supply my e-mail if preferred, otherwise use sendspace.com to upload your raw un-compressed/EQ'ed .Wav/Aiff's. I will reply shortly and GuitarPlayer888 was your rehearsal recorded with a stereo built in microphone? either way send it. Many thanks for keeping this topic alive all are welcome.

Sorry for the delay I was away for a few days. Yes the recording was made with the built in stereo mics on a Roland BR 600. It was set up in the middle of the room. I'll get you the files on Saturday. Thanks for the offer.

• Members

Your the kinda guy who goes on about needing speakers that go up to 30khz in range and protest that only you can do mastering and no one else should attempt...

Well - there are a couple of problems with your comment....

First of all, I'm NOT a mastering engineer... I'm a mix engineer - big difference.

Second, there's not a single pro I know that would even consider mastering material they've recorded and mixed simply because an important part of the mastering process is the objective and highly critical analysis a mastering engineer provides.

And third, the very process of mastering requires a high-end signal path, incredibly detailed speakers, and a room specifically purpose-designed, not to mention the objective listening ability of the mastering engineer.

The idea that any sort of real mastering can be accomplished on budget-oriented monitors and headphones is beyond laughable.

If you want to understand the incredible detail involved in the mastering process, then you should pickup a copy of Bob Katz' book: Mastering Audio: The Art and The Science. It's not a "how-to" book, because mastering isn't step after step process - what's involved depends entirely on the track in question - but it does give you a lot of detail about what's needed to even consider accomplishing the task.

Read it and then re-visit this thread, I guarantee you'll laugh at the incredible naivet

• Members

Well - there are a couple of problems with your comment....

First of all, I'm NOT a mastering engineer... I'm a mix engineer - big difference.

Second, there's not a single pro I know that would even consider mastering material they've recorded and mixed simply because an important part of the mastering process is the objective and highly critical analysis a mastering engineer provides.

And third, the very process of mastering requires a high-end signal path, incredibly detailed speakers, and a room specifically purpose-designed, not to mention the objective listening ability of the mastering engineer.

The idea that any sort of real mastering can be accomplished on budget-oriented monitors and headphones is beyond laughable.

If you want to understand the incredible detail involved in the mastering process, then you should pickup a copy of Bob Katz' book: Mastering Audio: The Art and The Science. It's not a "how-to" book, because mastering isn't step after step process - what's involved depends entirely on the track in question - but it does give you a lot of detail about what's needed to even consider accomplishing the task.

Read it and then re-visit this thread, I guarantee you'll laugh at the incredible naivet

• Members

So how much would Bob Katz cost again?

For Indie musicians, Bob Katz' rates are surprisingly accessible...

I actually use John Scrip at Massive Mastering (http://www.massivemastering.com) for all my client's projects.... his gear list is impeccable, and his ear for the craft is amazing - add great pricing to the mix and it's a no-brainer.

DIY mastering or mastering without the proper skills/gear/environment is just a way of fooling yourself.

Archived